Our Dragon Paladin deck list guide features the best Descent of Dragons deck list for Season 69 of Hearthstone (December 2019). Our Dragon Paladin guide also contains Mulligan advice, card combos and strategy tips.
Dragon Paladin is a Hearthstone deck that has been floating around in the minds of players since 2016 when Blizzard added a range of powerful Dragon cards to the class and wider collection. It never quite worked out that way, but we're trying again with Descent of Dragons. It just seems in the spirit of things.
Cards such as Bronze Herald and Dragon Speaker certainly suggest that Blizzard is trying to push Paladin towards more fire-breathing monstrosities. The newest expansion is a solid step in this direction too.
In the latest version of this guide, we’re going to take a look at one of the early lists for Descent of Dragons. We'll keep an eye on how this deck performs and update it accordingly of course.
Dragon Paladin - Rise of Shadows Deck
|2 x Cathedral Gargoyle||2 x Firetree Witchdoctor|
|2 x Bronze Explorer||2 x Scalerider|
|2 x Bronze Herald||2 x Evasive Feywing|
|1 x Dragonrider Talritha||1 x Frizz Kindleroost|
|2 x Truesilver Champion||2 x Scaleworm|
|2 x Amber Watcher||1 x Barista Lynchen|
|2 x Dragon Speaker||2 x Big Ol' Whelp|
|2 x Evsive Wyrm|
|1 x Crowd Roaster|
|2 x Evasive Drakonid|
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAZ8FBOiUA72ZA6CuA4iwAw3PBonxArjyAuiJA62UA7GUA5etA4iuA5CuA+ewA/+wA4WxA4exAwA=
Everything below this point refers to a previous version of Dragon Paladin. We'll have a full update for you once launch week is behind us!
- 1. Best Budget Decks - Hearthstone: Best Budget Decks for Ashes of Outland
- 2. Tier List - Hearthstone deck tier list (Ashes of Outland)
- 3. Pure Paladin - Pure Paladin deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 4. Mech Paladin - Mech Paladin deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 5. Murloc Paladin - Murloc Paladin deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 6. Highlander Paladin - Highlander Paladin deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 7. Quest Paladin - Quest Paladin deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
As with many other Hearthstone decks that are built around minion synergy, Dragon Paladin exists on that very same principle. It is designed to make full use of all the cards within and outside the class that provide bonus effects for using or holding Dragon creatures. Thanks to these empowered cards you can then gain considerable value over your opponent and take charge of the match.
Early game: Dragon Paladin has a fairly straightforward plan in the early game of playing minions out on curve and contesting for the board. As many of these opening drops gain added effects if you’re holding a Dragon in hand, try to keep hold of one in your Mulligan so you aren’t forced to wait or play something in a weaker state. If you’re stuck, Bronze Herald is a useful way to get Dragons into your hand, and when you get the chance, plop down Frizz Kindleroost to give yourself value later on in the game.
Mid game: As you enter the mid game your strategy remains much the same as before: contest for the board with minions and continue to draw cards. Your Amber Watcher can heal you up if needed, and Scaleworm acts as solid removal alongside Truesilver Champion. If you’ve been drawing well and have a relatively full hand, Dragon Speaker is a perfect play to buff all the Dragons in your hand considerably. The latter offers an especially great set up to take you into the lead in the late game.
Late game: If you did manage to get that buff off with Dragon Speaker onto some of your strongest Dragon minions, then start slamming them down as you enter the late game. A card like Crowd Roaster has a significant drawback at just 4 Health for such a powerful effect, but a lot of that is negated with Dragon Speaker’s buff.
Here are a number of tips for dealing with aggro opponents on the ladder.
- 1. Contest the board with minions quickly, and try to Discover removal spells with Firetree Witchdoctor.
- 2. You can also set up some substantial Taunt creatures that can stall aggro, so look for Cathedral Gargoyle as early as possible.
- 3. Don’t be too afraid of losing a few points of Health at the start of the game to aggro, as you have a nice chunk of healing in the deck to restore your Health.
- 4. Amber Watcher heals you for 8, giving you a bit more time to stabilise against aggro.
Here’s how to handle slower, control-focused opponents when playing Dragon Paladin:
- 1. You want to play aggressively if possible - you won't last through the late game value-wise against control decks.
- 2. Try not to put all of your resources into one minion or a single play. Your fully buffed Dragon can easily die to a single removal effect – and control decks tend to run lots of them!
- 3. Barista Lynchen can replay your Battlecries from the likes of Dragon Speaker and Frizz Kindleroost, giving you the chance for big value plays late on as a last-ditch attempt.
Dragon Paladin Mulligan guide
Win rate is pretty low for this deck, so mulligan smartly to maximise your chances.
- 1. Cathedral Gargoyle is often a 2 mana 2/2 with Divine Shield and Taunt, a great way to stifle aggressive decks early on.
- 2. Frizz Kindleroost is a 4 mana play, but it opens you up to strong turns later on.
- 3. Dragonrider Talritha offers a constant buff to your Dragons with her Deathrattle, meaning you can continue to harvest value throughout the game as long as you keep Dragons in hand.
Dragon Paladin tips, combos and synergies
Here are the most important synergies and combos you need to keep at the back of your mind when you're playing Dragon Paladin. Do let us know your own tips in the comments section!
- If you have a Dragon in your hand at the time you play it, Cathedral Gargoyle will gain both Taunt and Divine Shield. Think carefully before playing one of your other Dragons before this card and potentially losing this powerful bonus.
- Firetree Witchdoctor is another card that requires you to have a Dragon in hand if you want to achieve the minion's bonus effect. If you are holding one, the Witchdoctor will let you discover a spell.
- Evasive Wyrm deals 5 damage with its Rush ability, but will also stay alive for the trade thanks to its Divine Shield. After this, you'll hopefully be able to go face, as being untargetable by spells and Hero Powers makes this minion annoying to remove.
- Barista Lynchen gives you a copy of all your Battlecry minions still in play, meaning you can benefit from the Battlecries all over again, from Dragon Speaker to Scalerider.
- To get a reasonable amount of value, you’ll want to play Dragon Speaker when you have at least two other Dragon minions in your hand. Anything less and the effect is somewhat wasted. Anything more and you should be feeling pretty good!
- Scalerider is direct damage if you have a Dragon in hand, so can be sent into enemy minions or face, depending on what you need.