Our Realm Royale guide contains class abilities, crafting help with shards and the Forge, and loads of tips, tricks and strategy advice.
Realm Royale is now in Alpha and this is the Paladins twist on the Battle Royale formula that formerly went by the name of Battlegrounds. 100 players (of course) leap from the sky onto the map below, then do battle with one another until the last player - or team of players - is left standing. Those of you who have played Fortnite or PUBG will know what to expect here, but this is very much a fantasy-infused fight to the death.
In our Realm Royale guide we've got a breakdown of all the basics you need to know in order to get stuck into the game. We'll be breaking off into more detailed guides on each of the categories over time, so check back regularly and do explore the site - whatever you're stuck on, we'll have the answer for you before long!
We've added a whole host of new guides to the site over the last few days. Rather than listing them all here, you'll find them spread throughout this page under the relevant sections marked as ***NEW***. We'll be updating some of these guides over time as new content trickles in, and we'll continue putting together some fresh pages as Hi-Rez continues to expand the game. Make sure you've got this guide bookmarked if you want to get a look at all of our latest guides as and when they go live!
Use the following links to quickly navigate to the section of the guide you're most interested in right now!
Classes and Abilities
As you'd expect from a game based on Paladins, there are a number of classes to choose from in Realm Royale. Here's the lowdown on who's who and what their abilities are:
- Assassins - Focused on stealth and catching their opponents by surprise - Realm Royale Assassin guide
- Engineers - Capable of building shields and turrets - Realm Royale Engineer guide
- Hunters - Agile characters who possess stealth and the ability to lay mines - Realm Royale Hunter guide
- Mages - Spell-chucking glass cannons with big damage - Realm Royale Mage guide
- Warriors - Strong melee characters who can take a good beating on the battlefield - Realm Royale Warrior guide
Struggling to pick a class to main first? Although it's early days and much will change as the Alpha becomes a Beta and the game finally launches, our Realm Royale best class tier list will help you pick the best possible starting class. We'll be keeping that article updated continuously as new patches are released for the game.
Each class in Realm Royale also has its own passive ability. This extra power is applied automatically, and requires no effort on the part of the player to make use of - hence the name!
- Assassin - Gain 10% Groundspeed
- Engineer - Gain 5 Armor per Second
- Hunter - Gain 10% Swap Speed and Reload Speed
- Mage - Gain 30% potion effectiveness
- Warrior - Gain 5 Health per second
Having picked an archetype that suits your tastes, your next challenge is to actually load up on weapons and abilities. Yep, you've read that right. In order to make any kind of real difference in battle, you're going to need to find the abilities that define your class.
These are collected from around the map just like physical equipment, but the good news is that you don't have to worry about opening up a Hunter ability as an Assassin or vice-versa. Whatever class opens a chest determines the kind of ability that's found inside it.
Here's a breakdown of every ability we're aware of in Realm Royale. We'll have detailed descriptions for you in an imminent update:
- Concussion Bomb
- Ghost Walk
- Sensor Drone
- Smoke Screen
- Deploy Turret
- Fire Bomb
- Healing Totem
- Dodge Roll
- Blast Shot
- Proximity Mine
- Explosive Flask
- Ice Block
- Heroic Leap
- Flask of Healing
- Net Shot
- Shielding Potion
As you loot the map you'll be able to find upgraded versions of these abilities. An upgraded ability might have a shorter cooldown, for example, deal more damage or some combination of the two. You can view the complete list over at our dedicated Realm Royale All Ability Upgrades page.
If you've played games like World of Warcraft then you'll be familiar with the concept of being able to “disenchant” items in order to gain crafting materials. In the case of Realm Royale, the concept of the Shard is introduced. If you've got a piece of gear that isn't a tangible upgrade, you can disenchant it and use the Shards produced at a crafting spot called the Forge (see the next section in this guide for more detail).
Given that there is absolutely no advantage to leaving stuff lying around on the battlefield for enemy players to scoop up, we recommend you disenchant everything you lay your hands upon and really don't need. Just make sure that if you're playing in Duos or Squads your teammates can't make better use of it first though, eh?
Note that you get more Shards for disenchanting more valuable gear. Expect to get a handful of Shards for disenchanting a Common item, for example, but a much fatter stack for anything rarer than that.
Want to get your hands on more Shards? Our dedicated page on how to get more Shards and spend them at the Forge is live on Metabomb right now!
As mentioned above, Realm Royale also features a crafting system known as the Forge. When you use these special world items, you'll be able to trade in your Shards in order to make new equipment. As an example, you can craft potions to boost your health and armour for the price of 30 Shards.
Having potions to chug as you fight across the map is handy, of course, but what you'll really want to do at the Forge is cook up new Legendary items. If you can trade in 60 Shards you'll get a random piece of Legendary armour from the Forge, while 90 Shards will secure you a random Legendary class ability. 120 Shards is good for a random Legendary weapon.
There's a catch to all of this crafting opportunity though - and beyond have to gather those Shards in the first place. It takes a little bit of time to actually craft each item, which means you need to be keenly aware of the environmental dangers all around you. That might be the encroaching fog, for example, or a pack of players preparing to tear you to shreds. The good news is that you can at least craft multiple items at once, so load-out and get forging.
As if this commitment to crafting wasn't unfortunate enough, the Forge makes a bit of a racket when it's in full steam, and it will also send up chimney smoke. This makes it abundantly clear to the outside world that someone is both in there and potentially cooking something tasty up. Keep in mind as well that the item you make isn't simply added to your inventory, it drops to the floor. That means it can be pinched by other players who come in!
Armour and Weapons
Each class in Realm Royale has four armour equipment slots that they can add gear to in order to improve their survivability:
As with other Battle Royale games, the gear that you collect during gameplay belongs to a specific kind of rarity: Common, Rare, Epic and Legendary. The better the rarity rating, the more powerful the version of each item will be.
Note that Epic and Legendary item provides additional bonuses as well. Your Groundspeed rating might increase, for example, or you'll be able to reload your weapons much more quickly.
We've got two in-depth weapon guides that you'll find very useful. First of all our Realm Royale best weapons page outlines the top weapons in the game for each class. If you want a look at how the entire weapon collection stacks up though, check out our Realm Royale weapon tier list - that one ranks the lot.
As for choosing your protective gear, have a look through our guide to the best armour in Realm Royale. It's not a complicated system by any means, but this article will make the importance of continual upgrading pretty clear!
Map *** NEW ***
All the action in Realm Royale takes place on one map that's filled with a variety of locales. You've got everything ranging from snowy mountainous regions to deserts and curious fungal forests.
For a complete overview of where you'll be doing battle, our Realm Royale: Map guide - Forge locations, loot spots and more page will help you get to grips with all the important locations.
Our Realm Royale: Best loot spots and places to land guide is also another great destination if you're after a list of the best zones to gear up quickly.
Getting on the ground running before everyone else is also key to success. It means you'll be able to get on the offensive as enemies scramble to find gear themselves, which'll give you a nice early advantage when it comes to crafting that Legendary equipment. If you're struggling to hit the floor fast, our Realm Royale: How to land faster page has you covered.
If all of your potions, abilities and crafted gear haven't been enough to keep you alive, then you'll be transformed into a chicken once you hit 0 HP. The good news is that this grants you the chance to get back into the game once again, but only if you can survive long enough.
If you can - in chicken form - survive just 30 seconds of flailing around without the use of any of your abilities, then you'll be transformed back into your previous form and with all of your abilities restored.
That's for the survivor to worry about, then, but if you've gone to all of the trouble of picking off a player and turning them into KFC, you must kill them before they get a chance to turn back into their former selves. Otherwise all of that hard work will have been for nothing - and you may be at a health disadvantage for Round 2...
Tips, Tricks and Strategy Advice
Now that you've got a decent grounding in the game, we've put together a handful of extra tips to bolster your knowledge of the game even further. Expect this section of our Realm Royale guide to be expanded on significantly over time.
Solos, Duos and Squads
Make sure you give our individual tips and tricks pages for Solos, Duos and Squads a read as it'll help you get better at every aspect of the game, whether you're playing on your lonesome, with a buddy or a group of friends.
- Realm Royale: Solo Tips, Tricks and Strategy Advice *** NEW ***
- Realm Royale: Duo Tips, Tricks and Strategy Advice *** NEW ***
- Realm Royale: Squad Tips, Tricks and Strategy Advice *** NEW ***
- You're actually able to pop a health or armour potion at the same time as your reload animation. Press them simultaneously and you could save yourself precious seconds in the midst of a firefight!
- Remember that as a Chicken, you don't make any noise when you stand still. If you think you've lost your opponent, finding a good hiding spot and stand still can be just enough to get the revive off.
- In stark contrast to all other Battle Royale titles, Realm Royale doesn't have any fall damage. So leap off buildings and use your abilities without the worry of plummeting to your death - it's liberating.
- To stand the best chance of surviving the end-game, you'll need to disenchant stuff like crazy and travel between forges to craft Legendary gear. This way you'll be in absolutely the best position to take the fight to your enemies in the knowledge that you're suited and booted with some seriously strong equipment.
- Make sure to choose a class that suits your playstyle. Like fighting from a distance? Hunter might be for you. Like getting up close and personal? Warrior could be a good choice.
- Parachuting into battle works a little differently here than in other Battle Royale games. For a start, there is no parachute! All you have to do is pick your spot from the starting blimp, head towards where you want to go and you'll get there pretty quickly.
- Once on the ground it's time to start scavenging. Look for chests first as these contain weapons, armour and abilities. Loot boxes secondly, as they contain potions, which aren't going to be nearly as effective in your first early firefights.
- It goes without saying that you should be grabbing weapon and armour items that are of a higher rarity than your current setup, especially if it's the same piece of gear. They'll always have better stats like reload speed, damage and the like.
- Keep an eye on your map for golden chests that sometimes appear. These contain Legendary items which are the most valuable in the game, but it goes without saying that every other nearby player is going to want a piece of this action as well. Be ready for anything if you try to grab one of these.
- When gathering Shards to spend on Forge crafting, do keep in mind that you can only carry up to 200 of these currency items at any given time. Once you've exceeded that limit you won't be able to pick up any more, so it's worth at least cooking up a quick potion somewhere so you can start stuffing your pockets once more.
- Always keep one eye on the position and size of the poisonous fog that encourages player interaction in Realm Royale. Be ready to move and assume an advantageous position for the next constricted round of gameplay. This is especially important when it comes to committing crafting time at the Forge.
Head over to our Realm Royale tips, tricks and strategy advice page, where we'll be adding in greater detail as we gain more and more experience with the game.
Gameplay and System Settings
In this section of our guide you'll find links to all of our Realm Royale coverage for tweaking your game settings to gain an extra advantage:
- 1. Installation and Setup - Realm Royale: How to download and install
- 2. System Requirements - Realm Royale: System Requirements
- 3. Keybinds and Controls - Realm Royale: Keybinds and Keyboard Controls
- 4. Best FPS settings - Realm Royale: Keybinds and Keyboard Controls
- 5. Test Server - Realm Royale: Test Server - How to install and test the latest Early Access 2 changes*** NEW ***
Battle Pass *** NEW ***
Since Fortnite's done astonishingly well of its Battle Pass formula and Realm Royale's followed suit with its own. While it's not currently available in-game yet, we've put together a Realm Royale: Battle Pass guide that contains everything we know about it, as well as some speculation on what we expect from it in the future too.
It wouldn't be a competitive Battle Royale game without all sorts of cosmetic items, and Realm Royale's already gearing up for a big influx of weird and wacky outfits for characters, chickens and mounts. Our Realm Royale Skins: Chickens, Mounts & Classes page is the place to visit if you're after all the vanity items that'll be introduced to the game very soon!
That wraps up the second edition of our Realm Royale guide. We'll be back with even more gameplay help in a future update, so check back regularly!