Our PUBG: Sanhok guide contains all the tips, tricks and strategy advice you need to dominate on the game's new small-scale map.
UPDATE 8th MAY 2018
The developers have just confirmed that the official name for the 4 x 4 km map is Sanhok. The next round of testing will begin this Friday 11th May at 3:00AM UK time. The test window will close at 12:00 noon on Monday 14th May.
We will update this guide to accommodate the latest developments in an imminent update. Stay tuned!
You can now sign up to participate in a beta testing phase for PUBG's upcoming 4 x 4km map. The news was confirmed on Twitter a litter earlier on this afternoon, and those who are granted access will be able to get stuck into this new content starting 7pm PDT this evening.
In our guide to getting stuck into the Codename: Savage test server content, we've got an easy to follow walkthrough for the sign-up process. We've also outlined everything we know about the new map just below that.
Once we've had a chance to actually get stuck into the beta ourselves, we'll be back with a new update with all the tips, tricks and strategy advice you could possibly need to dominate on the new map. Until then, have fun!
How to link your Steam account with Codename Savage
First things first, not everyone who actually wants to test the new 4 x 4 will be able to during the initial round of beta testing. A limited number of keys are going to be made available for those who want to get stuck into the new map, so don't hang about if you want a piece of the action.
In order to play on the Codename Savage server, you'll first of all need to visit the map beta page on the official PUBG website. Once you get there, you'll be asked to link your Steam Account.
In order to do so, simply hit Authenticate With Steam (the big yellow bar at the bottom of the page), and you'll be redirected to a seperate site where you'll have to sign in with your Steam credentials to connect your game client and the beta test.
Please be extremely wary of any scams or hoaxes about gaining access to the beta server. There'll be plenty of chancers out there who will try to take advantage of the inevitable hype that will accompany this announcement. If you're wary of our our own link in this article, you can access the beta portal using the following plain text link that clearly exists on the official domain: https://mapbeta.playbattlegrounds.com
Codename: Savage FAQ
Here's the basic information that's been released by the developers about this new map:
- The first round of beta testing will commence at 7pm PDT on Monday 2nd April 2018.
- The playable area is only 4km by 4km, making it the smallest PUBG map to date.
- The developers believe this more claustrophobic playable area will create a more intense, and faster-paced Battle Royale experience than has ever been seen before.
- It's being beta-tested some way ahead of launch in order to gather as much feedback about the experience as possible. The client will be optimised and gameplay mechanics tweaked to ensure a high quality final release.
- More players will be allowed into the test as the map is refined and enhanced over time.
- An exact launch date has not yet been confirmed by the team and only a limited number of keys are actually available for the initial testing phase.
- You will need to actually own PUBG in order to participate in the Codename: Savage beta period.
Codename: Savage Tips, Tricks and Strategy Advice
Here are a few useful tips to help you get up and running on Codename Savage.
- It's important that you stay on the move and do your best to be proactive. Hunkering down in a building doesn't work quite as well on Savage in comparison to other maps and that's down to the terrain. Many buildings are surrounded by rolling hills so it's very difficult to hold a location without being flanked.
- As Savage is a much smaller map, be careful when you're attempting to heal when under fire. It's entirely possible that someone else is on your tail, so check your surroundings before sipping an Energy Drink or using Bandages.
- You'll be fighting a lot. Take the opportunity to practice your peeking skills as it'll come in very handy when duelling opponents between buildings or behind trees.
- Erangel has "School" and Miramar has "Hacienda Del Patron" for players seeking a fight from the moment they land. It seems as if the "Abandoned Resort" on Savage attracts the most attention. Head here for a frantic fight!
- We'd prioritise Assault Rifles and Snipers on Savage (you can't really get much better than this setup). Although due to the reduced size of this map, SMG's certainly pack more of a punch.
Video by jackfrags