Doomfist's real name has been revealed as Akande Ogundimu. The news comes as part of an official blog post by Blizzard, which provides details on the events leading up to the destruction of the OR15 robots and the missing Doomfist in Numbani.
The post itself poses as a 'Times of Numbani' news article, reporting on an event that led to Doomfist's escape from a maximum security prison.
Here's a brief overview of all the key details:
- New information has emerged three months after reports of an incident at Helix Security International's maximum security installation - a prison for the world's most dangerous threats.
- It's been confirmed that this incident was an attack by the Talon organisation, with the purpose of freeing Akande Ogundimu, better known as Doomfist.
- An unidentified aircraft managed to bypass Helix's defense systems, leading some to believe that Talon has moles planted within Helix.
- A shadowy figure - almost certainly Reaper - easily overcame those guarding the facility and helped Ogundimu's escape.
- After Ogundimu escaped, Helix lost track of him, until he resurfaced in Numbani and reclaimed his Doomfist.
- There's been a number of high profile incidents, including the breach of a top-secret facility in Egypt.
The reveal of Doomfist's real name is part of an ongoing teaser campaign by Blizzard. There's no official word on when he'll be added to Overwatch, although given Orisa arrived a week after a similar tease, you might be playing him sooner than you think.
In our Doomfist guide we’ve speculated that he’s going to be an aggressive tank hero, utilising the power of his robotic gauntlet to dominate his opponents. From the original Overwatch trailer we’ve embedded above, we see the Doomfist emit an enormous AoE blast that sends Widowmaker flying (4:34 onwards). Is he going to be the first hero with abilities that focus on zoning multiple enemies? Hopefully it won’t be long before we find out.