Our Overwatch Year of the Dog start time page contains launch details for the US (PT), UK (GMT), Europe (CET) and other global regions.
Blizzard has confirmed that Overwatch's Year of the Dog event will begin on the slightly unusual date of Thursday 8th February (unusual as such things typically launch on a Tuesday), and will once again be used as a vehicle for celebrating Chinese New Year.
Unusual too is the length of time the Year of the Dog event will actually be live in Overwatch. These kinds of celebrations typically last for three weeks, but this year's new year event is being extended to four weeks. According to Blizzard, this is to ensure that those who are travelling over the period get to enjoy their fair slice of the action.
What time will the Year of the Dog 2018 actually start though?
The Overwatch team has established a fairly reliable launch time of 11:00AM PST for the launch of new and returning seasonal events - as well as new maps and heroes. For that reason, it seems pretty likely to us that this will be the start time for Year of the Dog.
Knowing that is all well and good if you're based in Blizzard's corner of the United States, of course. If you live elsewhere in the world though, you might find it useful to refer to our timezone conversion table, which we use for these events and is reproduced for you just a little bit further down the page.
The trailer for the Year of the Dog skins has been leaked ahead of launch on the French Facebook page for the game. Watch the trailer right here, and you can find more detail on these items over at our Year of the Dog Legendary Skins page. We're still waiting for the update to go live, but these should keep you going!
A new set of Patch Notes have leaked ahead of the release of the Year of the Dog. The notes include new information on the exact nature of the skins that are being added with the event update.
When the update goes live there'll be 50 new seasonal items to unlock in Overatch, including the following Legendary skins:
- Red Phoenix (Zhu Que) Mercy
- Black Tortoise (Xuan Wu) Zarya
- White Tiger (Bai Hu) Genji
- Black Lily Widowmaker
The remaining two skins have yet to be confirmed. We'll have more details for you as soon as they become available.
Year of the Dog Start Times
|7:00pm GMT||11am PT||3:00am CST (24.01)|
|8:00pm CET||12pm MDT||4:00am KST (24.01)|
|9:00pm MSK||10am CDT||4:00am JST (24.01)|
|3:00am SGT (24.01)|
|5:00am AEST (24.01)|
|7:00am NZST (24.01)|
Year of the Dog FAQ
Here's what we can expect from Year of the Dog based on last year's Lunar New Year event:
- The Year of The Dog event will run from Thursday 8th February 2018, and will be active for a total of four weeks. A precise end date and time for the event has not yet been confirmed by Blizzard - we'll update all of our Year of the Dog articels once this information has been published.
- Capture the Rooster (or some variant on the game mode) will return. Last year players had to grab a Rooster flag from the enemy's camp and return it to their own - while attempting to preventing the other side from doing the same, of course! We expect this to return again in 2018 (Capture the Dog, perhaps?)
- A new Capture the Flag map is being added with the Year of the Dog. Ayutthaya is a Thai map designed specifically around this game mode, and features an ancient temple-themed half and a brighter, more colourful modern half. Check out our Ayutthaya guide for the complete low-down.
- To improve the Capture The Flag experience, a new feature called Sudden Death is being introduced to eliminate game ties. If a team is headed for a draw, the flags will spawn in the centre of the map, and players will have a much shorter distance to achieve their cap and finish the match off.
- We know that at least one hero is getting a brand new Highlight Intro with Year of the Dog. There are six new Legendary skins to loot or purchase as well - Mercy and Genji Legendary skins have been confirmed so far.
- Last year's skins should return to the game, along with a new selection of cosmetic items to unlock or purchase with coins. Expect 2017's Legendary skins to be available at a reduced price, while new items will almost certainly cost a premium amount.
- A handful of maps will likely receive a seasonal makeover. Last year, for example, all three points on Lijiang Tower were given a fresh look to reflect the new year celebrations.