The Winter Wonderland Christmas update has just gone live on the Overwatch servers and - in addition to adding a pretty generous chunk of cosmetic content to the game - we've also got our first look at the next new seasonal challenge. In our Mei's Snowball Offensive guide, we'll walk you through everything that's involved in the new game mode and do our best to ensure you get a competitive edge.
Note that at the time of publishing this article, the Winter Wonderland update had only just gone live on the servers, and so for now we've got jsut the most fundamental information about the new mode for you: what's involved, a quick primer on how to actually play it, and a nice gallery of all the official artwork that's been released so far.
In the coming days and weeks between now and Christmas we will be expanding on this guide considerably, adding loads of new tips and strategies for coming out on top in every counter. In the meantime, we'd love to hear your own tips in the comments so that we can add them - with credit to you, of course - in the next update of this article!
We'd also like to know what you think of the new content in general. Is it living up to the expectations set by Junkenstein's Revenge? What do you think's the best of the new cosmetic content in the Christmas update? Do let us know how you're getting on with all the lovely new stuff in the comments!
Here's the official description of the new seasonal mode:
Face off in a series of six-on-six fights at Ecopoint: Antarctica and Black Forest. Every player uses Mei who is equipped with a powerful snowball blaster. This weapon has one shot, but can be reloaded at snow piles.
- Players: 12
- Maps: Ecopoint Antarctica and Black Forest
- Unique Hero: Mei
- Victory: Defeat the enemy team three times
The first time you win a bout of Mei's Snowball Offensive, you'll receive a one-time reward of a Loot Box.
Our most popular Winter Wonderland guides:
- Overwatch: Winter Wonderland Christmas guide
- Overwatch: Mei's Snowball Offensive guide
- Overwatch: Winter Wonderland Christmas Achievements and Trophies
- Overwatch: Winter Wonderland Christmas end date confirmed
- Overwatch: Winter Wonderland Christmas Skins
- Overwatch: Winter Wonderland Patch Notes 2.0.1 - December 13, 2016
- Overwatch: Best Heroes Tier List - December 2016
Official art for Mei's Snowball Offensive
Here's all of the new artwork for the Winter Wonderland event!
Tips, tricks and strategies for Mei's Snowball Offensive
We'll be expanding on this section of our guide in time, but here are some tips to help you get started.
- Your snowball gun charges up on a timer which you can see as a curved meter in the middle of your UI. Once it's full up you're good to go, but remember you only get one shot before you have to top up again.
- It's very much a game of blink in Mei's Snowball Offensive. It can often be useful to Ice Block up proactively and hope the opponent panics and wastes their shot. This becomes even more important when you're fighting to be the last Mei standing.
- Don't forget that you can end your Ice Block early by clicking the right mouse button. Freeze up, wait until you hear the sound of your opponent's snowball fire, then come straight out and finish them before they can recharge.
- Whenever you're scoping out a section of the map, try to get eyes on where your next snowball is coming from. Experience will teach you the location of these ammo pools, but until you've learned the locations, you need to always know where to head to refill.
- Your wall is spectacularly useful for blocking off an entrance while you fill up your snowball gun. Try to do so in such a way that your opponent has no other means of getting to you, but be ready for a duel when the wall wears off!
- Your Ultimate ability now lets you fire off multiple snowballs from the same charge!
- Be patient when attacking a target as you've only got one opportunity to nail the shot. Wait for them to run in a straight line, enter a doorway or perform an action where you can predict their movements before firing - this will increase your chances of success.
- If you're in a tough spot and you're the last one standing, your Ultimate is the way to go. It'll give you unlimited ammo for a brief period of time, so you can turn the tides in your favour.
- Remember that your shots have bullet drop, so take this into account before you shoot. The further away they are, the more you'll have to compensate.