Our Overwatch Petra guide contains everything you need to know about the new map, including tips, tricks and strategy advice to help you dominate the opposition.
With the impending Anniversary 2018 event, Blizzard’s releasing a brand new Deathmatch map entitled Petra. It’s based on its real life counterpart in the Jordan desert and even shares the same theme as the famous archeological site it’s based on.
It looks pretty beautiful, with dusty outdoor desert zones and indoor arenas set in the ruins of a long forgotten empire. You can see that the Overwatch team has set up camp here and begun investigating Petra, as there’s a big tent at the main entrance and a special hideout in the center of the map.
Below we’ve put together a guide that’ll take you through everything we know so far about this new Deathmatch map, as well as gameplay videos that’ll give you a better idea of how it plays.
Once we’ve jumped into the map ourselves, we’ll also list a number of tips and tricks that you’ll be familiar with from our other Overwatch map guides.
Petra: Everything we know so far
Here’s a breakdown of Overwatch’s latest map, Petra.
- Petra’s being released on the 22nd May 2018 as part of the Overwatch Anniversary 2018 event.
- It’s based on the archaeological site of the same name in southern Jordan. Look it up online and you’ll immediately see the resemblance.
- It’s a Free For All Deathmatch map. This means it won’t be available in traditional competitive matchmaking.
- Following on from the point above, you’ll be able to access this map through the new competitive Free For All Deathmatch matchmaking that’s being introduced with the Anniversary event.
- Game director Jeff Kaplan has said that there’s a huge health pack in the center of the map which players will fight over. What’s more, the center of the map will become more dangerous as the match rages on.
You can watch an in-depth reveal trailer below which showcases a number of Petra’s environments nicely.
We’ll update this section with more detail once it goes live, stay tuned.
Petra: Tips and Tricks
For now we’ve put a few map observations here, but we’ll update this section with a tonne of strategy tips once we’ve had a chance to get stuck in ourselves. Keep this page bookmarked for all the latest!
- There’s an outdoor area with a jump pad, research tent, and three entrances that presumably lead into three separate spaces.
- Enter through the enormous entrance at the front and it looks like you’ll have a number of options. You can either drop down, cross a broken bridge or hop over to the left into another space.
- From what we’ve gathered, there’s a number of tight indoor spaces that’ll make for some pretty hectic fights.