Our Rainbow Six Siege Chimera guide contains details of the release date, new operators Finka and Lion, and the special Outbreak event.
A new content update arrived in Rainbow Six Siege at the start of March, and it goes by the name of Chimera. As well as adding a couple of new operators to this predominantly mulitplayer-focused game, the PVE side of things gained a boost as well in the form of Outbreak.
This co op event launched at the same time as Chimera, and isavailable to play for approximately four weeks. There won't be a new map to play on, but Ubisoft hopes this fleshing out of the PVE element will be enough to keep players occupied regardless.
In our Rainbow Six Siege Chimera guide, we want to provide you with an article that contains everything we know about the new update in one place. For a deeper dive on any of the content that we're covering here, you can also check out the extra guides which are linked throughout.
If there's anything you think we might have missed here, just let us know and we'll look into it ahead of our next update. In the meantime, here's everything you need to know about the Chimera content drop:
Rainbow Six Siege: Chimera - New operators
A pair of new operators are being added to the game with the Chimera Update. Here's the reveal trailer which was recently shown off, and which goes into greater depth into new characters Finka and Lion.
Here's a quick summary of what each new operator all's about:
Finka - Finka is a Russian operator with an incredible Adrenal Surge ability which temporarily boosts the health of all teammates and improves the steadiness of their aim. This comes at a cost, however, as an increased heart rates make your squad more detectable, and faster breathing makes toxic environments even more hazardous. Check out our Rainbow Six Siege Finka guide for the full low-down on this character.
Lion - Lion is an ex-French army veteran who brings a powerful drone to his team's arsenal of gadgets. This indestructible device hovers above the battlefield and, once activated, will capture the position of any enemies caught moving at the time. It can only be used three times per round, and there are ways the enemy can abuse it to trap the unwary! For more detail on how exactly that works, have a look through our comprehensive Rainbow Six Siege Lion guide.
Rainbox Six Siege: Chimera release date
Rainbow Six Siege Chimera was released on Tuesday 6th March 2018, bringing with it a tonne of new content, bug fixes and more.
Expect Chimera to last for around a month or so before another Operation swings by!
As we've already mentioned at the start of our Chimera guide, there isn't a new map but we've been given a brand-new slice of PVE content called Outbreak.
The mode is set within an area called Truth or Consequences in New Mexico, with the Rainbow team having to deal with a viral threat that's infected the population. You'll be able to play on two different difficulty settings (Normal and Pandemic), and the harder difficulty setting will allow for the threat of friendly fire and even tougher enemies.
Here's a video outlining what the mode entails, and we've included a synopsis of what's covered in case you're not able to view the content right now. Check out our in-depth Outbreak guide for all the advanced tips and tricks you're going to need to beat this mode on Pandemic.
- This is a special co-op event that pits your team of up to three operators against hordes of infected creatures. You'll follow the story of how the team deals with threat across a handful of different sections.
- Suppressors can be used to help you sneak through areas.
- Watch out for Breacher enemies who like to launch themselves at you or your defenses and detonate themselves to icky effect.
- You'll have to contend with other Rooter creatures who can conjure up spikes from below and snare you in position.
- Apex creatures tend to stay towards the rear of the pack and make you weaker and enemies stronger, so take them out nice and quickly. They'll also throw smoke at you, obscuring your vision if you're not careful.
- The Smashers are mighty melee beasts that can't see you but can hit you or even run you over! Try to trick this monster into slamming into a wall, so that you can finish it off quickly while it's out of action.
- Once you've beaten the mode on Normal difficulty, you'll be able to tackle it on Pandemic difficulty.
- Outbreak will be available for four weeks only from March 6th to April 3rd.
Not all operators will be available for use during the Outbreak event, but you will be able to make use of the following characters for as long as the mode is live:
That wraps up the first edition of our Rainbow Six Siege Chimera guide. Check back soon for updates, and don't forget to take a look at the more in-depth articles we've included here either - they'll really help you get ahead of the competition.