Our Call of Duty: WW2 - War guide contains tips, tricks and tactics to help you conquer the objectives.
If you’re after an objective based mode that doesn’t focus on your kill-death ratio then Call of Duty: WW2’s War mode is the one for you. It’s one of the most complex modes in the game and takes place on three bespoke maps that are purpose built for the chaos.
Instead of two teams fighting to rack up points, it’s all about attacking or defending objectives that constantly change as the war rages on. Of all the modes in the game, it’s one of the most exciting as you’re constantly adapting to the task at hand. There’s a sense that you’re really working together as a team too, and throwing yourself into the fray for a real purpose.
As War is a brand new game type for Call of Duty, we’ve put together a list of tips and tricks to get you up and running. We’ll continuously update this guide as we get more hands on time with the game, so keep this page bookmarked for more in depth strategy advice in the future.
Head back to our main Call of Duty: WW2 multiplayer guide for expert insight on every other area of the competitive game!
How does War Mode Work?
- Two teams of 12 players.
- It’s objective based with multiple stages.
- Each match goes through two phases. One team as the attackers, the others as defenders. After one phase, the teams swap roles.
- To win a round as the attackers, you’ll need to complete all of the objectives.
- To win a round as the defenders, you’ll only need to stop the attackers from capturing one of the objectives.
- At the end of each round there’s a breakdown screen which shows you each of the stages and how long it took your to capture the objectives or prevent their capture.
- Scorestreaks are disabled.
Tips and Tricks
- You’ll be playing a number of different objectives, so it’s important that you equip the right loadout for the job. Defending a particularly small area? A submachine gun or shotgun will do the trick. Fighting in the open? A sniper could be the perfect attacking weapon.
- War isn’t centered around your kill-death ratio. It’s completely objective based which means that you’ll always want to pay attention to what you’ve got to do next. In other words, play the objective and reap the rewards!
- As War’s a pretty hectic game mode you’ll probably end up dying a lot because you’re throwing yourself into the fray. Again, avoid getting wound up by this fact and focus on the job at hand.
- We found that at certain points during a match, positioning ourselves right by the enemy’s spawn point seemed to pay dividends. They wouldn’t expect it and simply rushed past us as we took them out from behind.
- When you’re escorting a tank, think of it as an enormous hunk of mobile cover.
- If an enemy captures an objective, you’ll have a certain amount of time to retreat to the next point. Don’t attempt to stick around - just leg it.
- In the map Operation Breakout there comes a point if you’re on the attacking side where a bridge has to be built. It’s a tough scenario as you’ll be pinned down by gunfire from the opposite side. To counter this, equip sniper rifles to take out your enemies from afar and smoke grenade the bridge itself to give you a nice cloud of cover.
- At certain parts of the map you’ll be able to hold [Interact] to build a piece of cover and bolster a defensive position. Make the most of this opportunity!
- Don’t underestimate the fixed turrets as they’re surprisingly effective at mowing down multiple enemies with ease. Just avoid staying in a fixed position for too long as your enemies will start picking up on it.
- If one objective isn’t working out, try and find a flanking route to attack it a little differently - or go for the other one.
That’s all we’ve got for now, but we’ll continue to update this guide with further strategy advice as we get more hands on time with War. Keep this article on your radar for more tips and tricks soon!