Our Apex Legends Pathfinder guide contains tips and strategy advice for using each ability to its maximum potential.
Pathfinder's one of our favourite characters in Apex Legends, and it's all thanks to his exceptional traversal skills. While his abilities don't pack as much of a punch as, say, Gibraltar's airstrike, Pathfinder excels at supporting both himself and his team with the power of grappling hooks. You could say he's the utility king.
As Pathfinder you can fire off a grappling hook at practically any surface and reel yourself in at high speed. This makes for speedier way of getting around the map and offers some brilliant ways of outmaneuvering your opponents or reaching hard to get to areas.
Pathfinder's ultimate ability enables you to fire off a team grappling hook which works at an even longer distance and enables all of your buddies to hop on for the ride - again, perfect for a coordinated flank or escape route.
In our guide to playing this Legend, we’ve outlined all three of Pathfinder’s abilities and provided some strategic tips to help you get the most out of them. As we spend more time getting to grips with Pathfinder ourselves, we’ll be expanding on this guide with even more tips and tricks.
- Apex Legends: Bangalore Guide - How to play Bangalore
- Apex Legends: Bloodhound Guide - Tips for mastering the Legend
- Apex Legends: Caustic Guide - How to play the toxic Caustic
- Apex Legends: Gibraltar Guide - How to play the defensive powerhouse
- Apex Legends: Lifeline Guide - Help playing the support Legend
- Apex Legends: Mirage Guide - Getting started with Mirage
- Apex Legends: Pathfinder Guide - Tips for grappling with Pathfinder
- Apex Legends: Wraith Guide - How to play the stealth-focused Legend
Passive - Insider Knowledge
This ability allows Pathfinder to scan a survey beacon in order to reveal the ring’s next location.
Survey beacons have their own distinct icon on the minimap, and it looks like a small radio emitting a broadcast. Simply run up to one, interact with it and you'll hear an audio cue. Check your map and the next circle will be highlighted.
It's definitely not the most exciting passive in the collection, but it's one which comes in handy in most games.
Simply knowing where the next circle will end up allows you and your squad to reposition well within time, or select a loot spot that's guaranteed to be safe.
Tactical - Grappling Hook
Activate Pathfinder’s Tactical Ability and it’ll fire off a short range grappling hook which will latch to a surface and reel you in.
At the most basic level it’s fantastic for repositioning when you want to traverse the map quickly, or get to the loot before your teammates do. Sorry, we meant the enemy players...
The Grappling Hook comes into its own when you spot a group of enemies, or if a firefight has broken out. It allows you to close the gap very quickly and pull off a game-changing flank around your targets, who almost certainly won’t expect the pace at which you’re able to re-position.
We’ve found using the Grappling Hook as a way to take advantage on the high ground is key to getting the most out of this ability. Use it to scale buildings and you’ll automatically have the height advantage, which enables you to rain bullets down from above, or even get the drop on opponents who won’t know where they’re getting hit from.
Of course, if you’re in a pinch the Grappling Hook also comes in handy as an escape mechanism. Getting shot at hard and fast? Use the Grappling Hook to bail out of a tight situation and reposition faster than you could by running. It’s also less predictable which helps!
Momentum plays a huge part in Apex Legends, and the Grappling Hook can be used to build it up extremely fast. Once you ping off the grapple, you'll likely fly off with speed, so use this burst to reposition quickly or take the fight to targets.
Land a grapple on an enemy and you'll reel yourself towards them for a close quarters kill. We wouldn't recommend attempting this in every fight as you need to be accurate - and missing could cost you - but it could surprise the enemy enough to win a tense battle.
Essential Apex Legends Coverage
- Apex Legends: Guide - Our core guide to the game
- Apex Legends: Best Weapons - Every weapon's stats examined
- Apex Legends: Map Guide - Getting to grips with the battleground
- Apex Legends: Best Loot Spots - How to gear up fast
- Apex Legends: Best Characters - An overview of every Legend
- Apex Legends: Abilities - Every passive, tactical and ultimate ability
- Apex Legends: Best FPS settings - How to get a performance boost on PC
- Apex Legends: Controls - Controls for playing on PC, PS4 or Xbox One
- Apex Legends: Battle Pass Guide - What's coming with Season play
- Apex Legends: System Requirements - Specs to run the game on PC
- Apex Legends: Download / Install - How to get started on all platforms
Think of the Grappling Hook, but with a much longer range and your entire team can use it - that’s the Zipline Gun for you.
The Zipline Gun can create a zipline which you and your allies can use to move between points at speed. This makes it a brilliant tool for repositioning an entire squad if you’re all in trouble, or if you’ve spotted a particularly juicy loot spot.
This ability is most effective if you’ve spotted an enemy team or if you’re engaged in a firefight, but the enemy team isn’t completely aware of your position.
In one case we fired off a Zipline from the flank, while one member of our team distracted an enemy squad head on. This meant we could zoom over to their side at lightning pace, and catch them off guard as they weren’t expecting us to flank so soon.
You don’t even need to use the zipline immediately. Even just throwing it down in a fight gives you and your teammates the option to bail, reposition or close the gap. It opens up options, so don’t be afraid to find a good spot to fire it off in pretty much all scenarios. It’ll recharge anyway, so make the most of it.
Do remember that you can all shoot when you’re zipping across the zipline too!