Our Apex Legends Mirage guide contains tips and strategy advice for using each ability to its maximum potential.
Mirage is the trickster of Apex Legends, and is able to utilise his Holo-Pilot technology to dupe opponents with holograms, or cloak himself when knocked down.
Playing against Mirage can be a bit of a nightmare, as it’s often difficult to pin down his location. Just when you think you’ve got him, it turns out your target is a hologram instead.
Playing as Mirage is a blast, however. His playstyle encourages you to outthink your enemies at all times, and it can be incredibly rewarding when you pull off a perfect ruse, emerge behind the enemy, and then take them by surprise.
As you’d expect, all of these hologram and stealth mechanics make him quite a tricky character to play. Below we’ve put together a guide that will help you get up and running with Mirage, and we’ll expand upon it over time too.
- Apex Legends: Bangalore Guide - How to play Bangalore
- Apex Legends: Bloodhound Guide - Tips for mastering the Legend
- Apex Legends: Caustic Guide - How to play the toxic Caustic
- Apex Legends: Gibraltar Guide - How to play the defensive powerhouse
- Apex Legends: Lifeline Guide - Help playing the support Legend
- Apex Legends: Mirage Guide - Getting started with Mirage
- Apex Legends: Pathfinder Guide - Tips for grappling with Pathfinder
- Apex Legends: Wraith Guide - How to play the stealth-focused Legend
Passive - Encore!
This passive allows Mirage to automatically drop a decoy and cloak for five seconds when knocked down.
Encore is a pretty useful passive to have if you’ve been knocked down from afar, or if you’ve got cover nearby. In any case, make the most of being cloaked for a few seconds by crawling as fast as you can away from the firefight and into a safe position.
Tactical Ability - Psyche Out
Activate this ability and Mirage sends out a holographic decoy to confuse the enemy.
The decoy will run in the direction you’re aiming, so make sure you’ve lined things up correctly before pulling the trigger on this.
It’s an incredibly versatile ability which can be used to toy with the enemy and coax them into revealing their position or face the wrong way.
Here are a few pointers:
- Send a decoy out when you’re crossing a doorway to tease out a few shots and give away an enemy’s position.
- Send a decoy one way through a smoke grenade to divert attention, while you appear elsewhere and take the enemy by surprise.
- If you’re in cover then you can send a decoy out in one direction and quickly leg it in the other direction to reposition.
- You can send out a decoy when plummeting from the sky at the start of the game and trick players into thinking there's an enemy in the area.
- Send a decoy towards an dead enemy's stash and it'll look like you're looting them.
- Try standing still when throwing out a decoy if you've been caught in a particularly vulnerable spot. It's a bit risky but there's a chance you'll trick the enemy into shooting your clone and give you a second or two longer to counterattack.
- Aim at the ground, shoot your decoy and it'll stand still.
Ultimate Ability - Vanishing Act
Mirage’s ultimate deploys a team of Decoys to distract enemies while you cloak. Keep in mind this doesn't make you go fully invisible! You'll be much harder to spot, but enemies with eagle eyes will make out your silhouette if you get a little too reckless while cloaked.
Think of this primarily as a brilliant escape tool, as it’ll throw up a bunch of decoys and allow you a brief period of time to get away from a horrible situation. If you ever feel like you’re suddenly in a bad spot, don’t be afraid to pop this ability and reposition.
You can also use this ultimate to unsettle an enemy team if you’re approaching from a flank. If they spot you, use this ability and look to get aggressive by closing the gap even further, or by repositioning slightly. This will keep them guessing, and it should play into your hands when they don’t know which way to turn.
Do be wary of using Vanishing Act in the open though, as you won’t have anywhere to hide.