Our Apex Legends Apex Coins guide explains how Apex Coins, Legend Tokens and Crafting Metals work, how to get more of them and what cosmetic rewards you can spend them on.
Ah yes, the circle, the loot everywhere, the 100 player fight to the death. Sure, it’s not super original, but Apex Legends carves out a unique space for itself thanks to its Legends, fast paced movement, and hero abilities.
It's also free to play, which means there are many monetisation options as well, and that's where this article comes in. Although you can't buy anything that provides gameplay advantages, you're going to need to get hold of a few currencies if you want to make your Legends and weapons looking a little slicker in battle.
Before you go ahead and rocket into battle, we’ve put together a guide which will take you through how microtransactions work in Apex Legends, as well as how to get hold of more Apex Coins which you can use to purchase new cosmetics.
Apex Legends Currencies
There are three different currencies in Apex Legends: Apex Coins, Legend Tokens and Crafting Metals.
Apex Coins are the premium currency and can only be purchased with real-world money through the in-game store.
Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll get for your money:
- 1,000 Apex Coins - $10 / £7.99
- 2,000 (+ 150 Bonus) Apex Coins - $20 / £15.99
- 4,000 (+350 Bonus) Apex Coins - $40 / £31.99
- 6,000 (+700 Bonus) Apex Coins - $60 / £47.99
- 10,000 (+1500 Bonus) Apex Coins - $100 / £79.99
Legend Tokens and Crafting Metals can both be earned in-game through the Apex Pack system. Every time you play a match, you earn EXP based on your performance and you’ll gradually level up as you spend more time with the game.
Upon levelling up, you’ll receive an Apex Pack which has a chance of containing both of these currencies.
Here's what happens when you crack open an Apex Pack.
You'll receive three items of varying rarity, so everything from a new kill intro or skin to some Crafting Metals - nice.
Essential Apex Legends Coverage
- Apex Legends: Guide - Our core guide to the game
- Apex Legends: Best Weapons - Every weapon's stats examined
- Apex Legends: Map Guide - Getting to grips with the battleground
- Apex Legends: Best Loot Spots - How to gear up fast
- Apex Legends: Best Characters - An overview of every Legend
- Apex Legends: Abilities - Every passive, tactical and ultimate ability
- Apex Legends: Best FPS settings - How to get a performance boost on PC
- Apex Legends: Controls - Controls for playing on PC, PS4 or Xbox One
- Apex Legends: Battle Pass Guide - What's coming with Season play
- Apex Legends: System Requirements - Specs to run the game on PC
- Apex Legends: Download / Install - How to get started on all platforms
Do you get Apex Coins from the Battle Pass?
Short answer, yes you can.
The Battle Pass costs a total of 950 Apex Coins and if you manage to rank it up to level 97, you’ll have earned 1,000 Apex Coins back. Sure, you’ll only get 50 extra Apex Coins in return, but at least you’ll be able to buy the next Battle Pass - or treat yourself to a nice cosmetic.
What can I buy with Apex Coins, Legend Tokens and Crafting Metals?
Here's a breakdown of everything you'll be able to purchase with your materials, coins and the like.
Since you've spent your hard earned cash on Apex Coins, you'll be able to purchase anything in the store without having to spend hours grinding for it. However, you won't be able to buy absolutely everything as many smaller Legend related items have to be crafted with Crafting Metals.
- Store exclusive cosmetics
- New Legends
- Store exclusive cosmetics
- New Legends
- New Legend skins (not store exclusive)
- New Legends like Loba, for example, cost 12,000 Legend Tokens or 750 Apex Coins each. As time goes by and more updates are released, we'll start seeing more Legends enter the fold and they’ll cost the same amount.
- If you're going for the free to play route, it takes time to build up your Legend Tokens total so don't expect to unlock new Legends for a pretty long time.
- To build up your Legend Token and Crafting Metals tally as quickly as possible, there's nothing for it but to perform well in each match you play. The longer you survive, the more assists and kills you get will all help bolster the total amount of EXP you earn. In turn, this will grant you faster level ups and more Apex Packs to crack open.
Apex Pack Odds
Respawn has also published what's in each Apex Pack and your chances of receiving these items. Check it out for an overview of the odds involved.
It's worth pointing out that there's an element of "drop protection" to these Apex Packs. You're guaranteed at least one Legendary item drop for every 30 packs opened, and you won't ever receive duplicate cosmetics.
This isn't something you get with most Battle Royale games so it's a nice touch.