Our Apex Legends control page outlines all of the PC mouse and keyboard controls, and controller options for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 platforms.
Apex Legends continues to dominate the Twitch charts, and is clearly going to prove the breakout battle royale game of 2019.
If you'r to have any hope of dominating your matches, however, it's vital that you master the controls of the game nice and quickly. If you're not surviving, after all, you're losing. No-one wants to be clumsily mucking around with their inventory, while the enemy lines up a sniper shot into their face.
Not only are there the usual controls to acclimatise to, Apex Legends also includes a rather nifty ping system. By making use of this, you can alert your team to enemy activity, and also steer the exploration efforts. The better use you can make of this, the greater your odds of overall success.
To help you get off to a flying start, we've put together a guide that outlines the whole control scheme on Xbox, PlayStation 4 and PC. Controllers for the first two, mouse and keyboard for the latter - you can use a controller on PC, for what it's worth, but we really don't recommend it!
PC Controls - Mouse and Keyboard
Here are all of the core controls in Apex Legends if you're playing the game on PC. We've got a separate breakdown for the crucial ping commands just a little further down in this section.
- Move Forward - W
- Move Back - S
- Move Left - A
- Move Right - D
- Sprint - LSHIFT
- Jump - SPACE
- Crouch (Toggle) - C
- Crouch (Hold) - LCTRL
Weapons and Abilities
- Tactical Ability - Q
- Ultimate Ability - Z
- Interact / Pickup - E
- Alternate Interact - X
- Inventory (Toggle) - TAB / I
- Map (Toggle) - M
- Attack - LMB
- Toggle Fire Mode - B
- Aim Down Sight (Toggle) - RMB
- Melee - V
- Reload - R
- Cycle Weapon - Mouse Wheel Scroll
- Equip Weapon 1 - 1
- Equip Weapon 2 - 2
- Holster Weapons - 3
- Equip Grenade - G
- Use Selected Health Item - 4
- Gibraltar Shield Toggle - H
- Inspect Weapon - N
- Ping - Mouse Wheel Click
- Ping (Enemy Here) - F
- Push to Talk (Hold) - T
- Message Team - ENTER
Extra ping options
Within the game controls interface you can also assign keys to the following specific ping alerts. Just pick a key that you feel comfortable with if you want to make use of any of these:
- Ping (Going Here)
- Ping (Looting Here)
- Ping (Defending Here)
- Ping (Watching Here)
- Ping (Someone's Been Here)
Essential Apex Legends Coverage
- Apex Legends: Guide - Our core guide to the game
- Apex Legends: Best Weapons - Every weapon's stats examined
- Apex Legends: Map Guide - Getting to grips with the battleground
- Apex Legends: Best Loot Spots - How to gear up fast
- Apex Legends: Best Characters - An overview of every Legend
- Apex Legends: Abilities - Every passive, tactical and ultimate ability
- Apex Legends: Best FPS settings - How to get a performance boost on PC
- Apex Legends: Controls - Controls for playing on PC, PS4 or Xbox One
- Apex Legends: Battle Pass Guide - What's coming with Season play
- Apex Legends: System Requirements - Specs to run the game on PC
- Apex Legends: Download / Install - How to get started on all platforms
Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Controls - Controller
You can, of course, make use of the classic Xbox controller if you're playing the game on PC, although you're likely to be at a big disadvantage against the majority who'll be using mouse and keyboard on this platform.
In this section we've outlined the core Xbox One controller settings which are easily transferred to PlayStation 4 if you're playing on that console instead.
Here's an easy to reference snapshot of the default Xbox controller settings, which you can click or tap on to enlarge. Note that you can make use of some special alternative settings which you'll find just below the image itself.
Alternative Controller Options
- Puts jump on LB
- Allows for jumping without sacrificing view agility
- Puts crouch on R press
- Puts jump on LB and crouch on R press
- Jump, duck, slide and drop from walls without sacrificing view agility
- Puts grenades on RB and ping on Up D-Pad
- Puts jump on LB and crouch on RB
- Best used with “Hold to Crouch” enabled