Our Heimerdinger Control deck list guide features the best Heimerdinger deck for the open beta season of Legends of Runeterra. Our Heimerdinger Control deck guide contains Mulligan advice, card combos and strategy tips.
If you’re looking for a rundown of the best decks Legends of Runeterra has to offer, check out our Legends of Runeterra Best Decks page!
To ‘raise your dongers’ in Legends of Runeterra is quite a tricky business, but support Heimerdinger with the right selection of spells and minions, and you’ve got a pretty strong - and most importantly, fun - deck to pilot.
This deck is currently one that dogdog’s been using in Ranked, and from what we’ve seen it brings out the best in Heimerdinger. If we spot any changes or refinements, we’ll update this deck list. As we’re still in the early stages of the meta, expect some update soon!
For now, here’s the Heimerdinger deck dogdog is running, and you’ll find plenty of strategy advice just below.
|Piltover and Zaun||Noxus|
|3 x Thermogenic Beam||3 x Blade’s Edge|
|3 x Rummage||1 x Death Lotus|
|3 x Clump of Whumps||3 x Culling Strike|
|3 x Mystic Shot||3 x Noxian Guillotine|
|2 x Ezreal||3 x Minotaur Reckoner|
|3 x Get Excited!|
|3 x Chump Whump|
|2 x Statikk Shock|
|3 x Heimerdinger|
|2 x Progress Day!|
To play this deck, log into the Legends of Runeterra client, open your Collection and click ‘Decks’. Click on 'Import Deck', and paste the deck import code below and then save.
Deck Import ID: CEBAIAIDAQLCIKYHAECACGZHGQ2TQOQBAMAQIHZEGEAQCAIDGI
This deck is highly dependent on drawing Heimerdinger early, saving the right spells and unleashing a barrage of bots which will help you gain board control, eventually spiralling into more and more chip damage. Meanwhile your Ezreal will be buffing in the background and will be your main win condition with his supply of Mystic Shots. By no means is it perfect, but it’s a lot of fun to play if the enemy isn’t running a super aggro deck which’ll rush you down before you can get going.
Early Game: Early game isn’t your strength, so your main focus will be surviving as best you can, and taking as little damage as possible. To do this, you’ll likely need to use Statikk Shock to eliminate small minions, or worst case, Thermogenic Beam is the enemy has slapped some big minions down. Chump Wump can be used as a strong blocker (or attacker, if things are going well), and it’ll generate two cheap spells which can either be used once you’ve got Heimer, or discarded to enable Get Excited!
Mystic Shot also isn’t a bad idea, but be wary of spamming your spells to clear absolutely everything. Don’t be afraid to take some chip damage as saving your spells will pay dividends once you get Heimerdinger on board.
Mid Game: Once you think you get Heimerdinger safely on the board, get him down once the enemy has attacked or passed. When it’s your turn, it’ll be time to use some spells, generate some bots, and begin regaining some control over the situation.
If you’ve got the mana, Progress Day is a great spell to play on the enemy’s turn as it’ll set you up nicely for your attacking phase, and generate a big minion too. And, let’s not forget, it’ll almost certainly level up your Heimerdinger.
It’s at this point in the game where your Heimerdinger may be at risk from an execute, or spell combo. If he’s definitely going down, don’t be afraid to use your remaining spell mana to generate a minion or two as they could be a difference maker in taking, or not taking, damage.
Noxian Guillotine is a brilliant way to clear big minions from your opponent’s board after you’ve blocked damage. It’ll also go nicely towards levelling up your Ezreal and setting up lethal damage.
Late Game:The ideal scenario is to have your Ezreal in play alongside your Heimerdinger, before playing out a bunch of cheap spells to deal Nexus damage and get plenty of bots on the board. Heimerdinger’s Elusive mechs are great for helping with lethal as they’re difficult to block, so use any remaining Mushroom Clouds to summon some.
Minotaur Reckoner will also help with board control and pressure, potentially forcing your opponent to use an execute they’d rather have saved for one of your champions.
- 1. Best Decks - Legends of Runeterra: Best Decks
- 2. Best Budget Decks - Legends of Runeterra: Best Budget Decks (January 2020)
- 3. Teemo Mushroom deck guide - Legends of Runeterra: Teemo Mushroom deck list guide
- 4. Braum Poro deck guide - Legends of Runeterra: Braum Poro deck list guide
- 5. Pokrovac's Elise Spider Aggro deck guide - Legends of Runeterra: Elise Spider Aggro deck list guide
- 6. Heimerdinger Control deck guide - Legends of Runeterra: Heimerdinger Control deck list guide
- 7. Discard Aggro Draven guide - Legends of Runeterra: Pokrovac's Discard Aggro Draven deck list guide
- 8. Yasuo Elusive guide - Legends of Runeterra: Yasuo Elusive deck list guide
- 9. Barrier Fiora guide - Legends of Runeterra: Barrier Fiora deck list guide
Heimerdinger Control Mulligan guide
These are the cards you’ll want to nab at the start of each match with this deck:
- 1. Mystic Shot: Cheap and will help clear most minions in the early to mid game.
- 2. Culling Strike: Again, this one is highly effective against a wealth of early to mid game minions and will work nicely towards levelling Ezreal.
- 3. Statikk Shock: While this is a little more expensive, it’s a great tool for clearing small blockers and acts as a helpful card draw.
- 4. Clump of Whumps/Chump of Whumps: Not essential, but they’re still handy as blockers or attackers, and more importantly, they’ll generate some low cost spells which’ll synergise with Heimerdinger.
- 5. Heimerdinger: It’s very nice to get a Heimerdinger on board early as it’ll prevent you from taking too much chip damage and should get your ramp rolling.
Heimerdinger Control tips, combos and synergies
Below we’ve put together a few quick tips and tricks to help you play this deck effectively. As the meta evolves we’ll update this section, so stay tuned for all the latest!
If you want to see this deck in action, head on over to this VOD by dogdog. It’s over six hours long, but skip around this far in and you’ll spot him running it.
- Play low cost spells when you’ve got Heimerdinger on board and he’ll generate 0 mana Elusive mechs. They can be easily pinged off by spells, but can deal a significant amount of damage if left unchecked.
- Your Mushroom Clouds act as great discard material for your Get Excited!, as do your low cost mechs.
- If you’re certain Heimerdinger is going to be executed, wring as much value out of him as possible by playing some last second spells to generate mechs. This way you can survive a touch longer even if he’s gone.
- Blade’s Edge is a great way to setup a cheap execute if you’ve got Noxian Guillotine in hand. Ping an enemy for one damage, then hit them with a big swing of the axe. If there are multiple damaged enemies, make sure you use this combo when you’ve got plenty of mana - you don’t want to awkwardly run out midway through your board clear!
- Try and save your Thermogenic Beams for when Heimerdinger’s on the board, especially if you’re spending a lot of mana. You will generate a large minion and it could make the difference depending on whether you’re behind or ahead.