Our League of Legends How to get Gemstones guide explains what Gemstones are, how to get more of them and the best ways to get Gemstones fast.
We’re pretty much convinced that League of Legends has one of the most confusing crafting systems in videogames, and so we wouldn’t blame any newcomers who were struggling to understand how things tie together in the expansive Hextech Crafting process.
Gemstones are just one part of Hextech Crafting and they’re one of the most valuable drops you can earn from the game’s loot chests. You can either exchange a few of them for some of the rarer cosmetic items in the game, or forge them into a key and chest bundle, a Hextech Ward, or a couple of highly sought-after skins.
Read on to get a better understanding of how Gemstones work in League of Legends, how to get them, and learn some of the best ways to earn them quickly.
What are Gemstones?
Gemstones are a rare crafting material primarily earned through Hextech Crafting, although certain events may allow you to purchase a special variant using either large amounts of Blue Essence or Riot Points.
You can forge one Gemstone into a key-and-chest bundle, five into a Hextech Ward and 10 into either a Hextech Annie or Soulstealer Vayne skin.
How do I get Gemstones?
Gemstones are intertwined with the Hextech Crafting process, so it can be very tricky to get your head around if you’re new to League of Legends. To help you out, we’ve done our best to break down all the ways you can obtain Gemstones in an easy to understand fashion.
- First things first, you’ll earn most of your Gemstones from Hextech Chests.
- Hextech Chests are League of Legend’s equivalent of loot crates. You can earn them for free if you manage to achieve an S rank performance with a Champion you own at the end of a match. Alternatively, you can purchase them directly from the Riot Store using Riot Points.
- Crack open a Hextech Chest with a Hextech Key and you’ll have a 3.6% chance of receiving a Gemstone as a bonus drop.
- Levelling up to Summoner levels 150, 200, 250, 300+ will also reward you with a guaranteed Gemstone.
- Special Events such as the Essence Emporium will offer up unique Gemstones that can be purchased for 50,000, 75,000, and 100,000 Blue Essence. Purchase these and you’ll receive a special icon too.
How to earn Gemstones fast
- Unfortunately, one of the quickest ways to get hold of Gemstones in League of Legends involves getting your credit card, gritting your teeth and handing over a fair amount of hard-earned cash on a host of Hextech or Masterwork Chest Bundles. It's then a case of crossing your fingers, cracking them open and hoping that some Gemstones fall into your inventory.
- If you really can't bring yourself to fork over any cash, you'll need to play each match with the aim of achieving an S rank. Play with a mate who achieves it though, and you'll reap the benefits too. In other words, if you can play with a like-minded friend you'll both stand a better chance!
-League will occasionally hold a special event - or a sale - that'll usually play host to unique capsules or chests which give you an increased chance of earning Gemstones. This is often the best chance to spend your cash if that's a route you're happy with.
That's the end of our guide to getting more Gemstones in League of Legends. If you know of any other methods that we've missed, please do let us know in the comments.
We want this to be the best resource of its kind, and we'll be sure to add your tips to this article with credit.