Our Hearthstone Boomsday Project guide contains details of the new cards, the Magnetic keyword, Legendary Scientist cards, Omega cards, and Legendary Spells.
Out of absolutely nowhere at all, Blizzard announced yesterday that the next Hearthstone expansion will be called the Boomsday Project. The expansion is themed around the laboratory experiments of Dr. Boom, who you may remember as a somewhat overpowered character from the Goblins vs Gnomes expansion.
In this article we're rounding up all of the information that's currently known about the Boomsday Project, and we'll be adding more continuously over time, and as new details are revealed by Blizzard in the coming weeks.
First up, here's a quick outline of the headline stuff you need to know about:
- Release Date: The expansion will be released on August 7th 2018.
- Legendary Spells: Legendary Spells are being added to the game for the first time in Hearthstone's history. [Legendary Spells Guide]
- New Keyword: A new keyword called Magnetic is being added to the game. You can play these cards as normal, or fuse them with an active Mech to combine their stats (Think of the Hunter's Death Knight hero power in this sense. [Magnetic Keyword Guide]
- Pre-order:There will be two pre-purchase options. The Regular Bundle contains 50 card packs, the expansion card back and a random Golden Legendary card. The Mega Bundle will contain the same as the Regular Bundle but also include 30 more packs and the Mecha-Jaraxxus Warlock hero. [Boomsday Project Pre-Order]
- Single Player:More single player content is coming! The Puzzle Lab will see players attempting to solve a number of challenges split across four different categories. [The Puzzle Lab Guide]
- Reveal Stream: The next batch of cards to be revealed will make their appearance on July 23rd, 2018.
That's the overview, then. Here are the rest of the details. Bear with us as well fill in the blanks on this fast-breaking announcement!
The following five cards were revealed in the announcement trailer. Expect to see many more of these when card reveal season gets properly under way on July 23rd 2018.
|Biology Project||Spider Bomb||Omega Defender||Electra Stormsurge|
|-||-||-||Myra's Unstable Element|
We'll split cards out into separate Neutral and Hero tables once we have a little more to work with.
New Keyword: Magnetic
There will be a new keyword in The Boomsday Project called Magnetic. You can play a Magnetic card on its own but if you have a Mech class of minion on the board you can fuse them together to create a more powerful creature.
Project cards are special spell cards which provide both players with the benefit granted by the card. Biology Project is one such card that's been revealed, granting both players an extra two Mana Crystals.
Omega Cards are a new kind of Hearthstone card which are relatively powerful in their own right, but gain an added effect if you play them when you have 10 Mana Crystals. Here's Omega Defender to give you an idea of how this works in practise:
Legendary Scientist Cards
A series of Legendary Scientists are being added with the Boomsday Project. We'll hazard a guess that this is the per-Hero Legendary card system for the new expansion, alongside Legendary Spells (see the next section for more details).
For the first time in Hearthstone's history, Legendary Spells are being added to the game.
An example given during the trailer was Myra's Unstable Element, a 5 Mana Legendary Spell that draws the rest of your deck.
New Game Board
As you'd expect from a new expansion, a new game board is also being added to Hearthstone! Here's how it looks:
New Warlock Hero: MECHA-JARAXXUS
If you pre-order the Mega Bundle for The Boomsday Project you'll receive a new Warlock Hero portrait: MECHA-JARAXXUS! Here's some supporting artwork.
Pre Order Card Back
Take advantage of either of the pre-order bundles and you'll receive the associated card back. Here's how it looks:
Here's the announcement trailer that was released earlier on today, which revealed all of this information:
Later in the evening the official announcement trailer also went live on the official Hearthstone YouTube channel:
That ends the first edition of our Boomsday Project guide. We'll be back with more details as soon as they're confirmed by the devs. We're just in the process of sorting out card art for the reveals and will add that in shortly.