Our Totem Shaman deck list guide outlines the best deck for Kobolds and Catacombs. This Totem Shaman guide also contains Mulligan advice, strategy tips, card combos and synergies.
Totem Shaman is not a new Hearthstone deck by any means but we may well be seeing something of a resurgence of this old archetype given some of the Kobolds and Catacombs cards we've seen recently. Both Primal Talismans and Windshear Stormcaller provide powerful incentives to build a deck around this concept, and we're excited to see how the archetype shakes out.
In our Totem Shaman guide we've got a theorycrafted deck list for you to get started with, and rest assured it will be rapidly iterated on once the expansion is live and we see how the meta looks. On that note, please follow our usual advice and be very conservative when it comes to crafting all new cards - not just the ones in our highlighted list today.
We've also got a very primitive overview of the deck strategy, which you should expect to see expanded on a great deal over time. For now though, you'll find the bulk of our advice in the tips and combos section at the bottom of this article. Those will give you an understanding of the deck's win conditions, and we've also highlighted some Mulligan tips as well. Again, expect this section to grow over time.
Totem Shaman deck list and strategy
Here's a Totem Shaman deck list that was theorycrafted by XIII for the launch of Kobolds and Catacombs. It may well be tweaked between now and launch, but we'll make sure every other aspect of this guide reflects any changes made.
As a returning archetype for the Kobolds meta, you should expect this deck to go through many changes in the coming weeks and months. Make sure you're playing the latest version, and do be careful with what you craft while we wait for things to settle down.
|2 x Primal Fusion||2 x Fire Fly|
|2 x Unstable Evolution||1 x Aya Blackpaw|
|2 x Devolve|
|2 x Flametongue Totem|
|2 x Jade Claws|
|2 x Kobold Hermit|
|2 x Maelstrom Portal|
|1 x Mana Tide Totem|
|2 x Primal Talismans|
|2 x Jade Lightning|
|2 x Wicked Witchdoctor|
|2 x Bloodlust|
|2 x Windshear Stormcaller|
|2 x Thing from Below|
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAaoIAoEElL0CDvAHkwn2qgL7qgKWsgKgtgKHvALRvAL2vQLrwgLB0gLR5gLf6QLo6gIA
The fundamental win-condition of this deck involves establishing one of each of your basic totems onto the board, then using Windshear Stormcaller to summon a free Al'Akir the Windlord. Throw Primal Fusion into the mix and you potentially have a very powerful charging minion on your hands.
As well as manually summoning those minions with your hero power, you also have access to cards like Wicked Witchdoctor. She'll add a basic totem to the board for each spell you cast. Then there's a handful of token minions who can be converted into totems using Primal Talismans.
That's the very brief, top-down approach to playing Totem Shaman in Kobolds and Catacombs, then, but we'll be back with more insight once we've had a chance to actually play it ourselves. At that point - and if the deck proves competitive and viable - we'll be able to add match-up advice for handling specific opponents.
More great Shaman guides:
Totem Shaman Mulligan guide
Mulligan advice is unavoidably tricky to give for the launch of the new meta, although we'll have our hero by hero chart in place once things have settled down.
You'll always benefit from having a card like Jade Claws for the early game, however, and Maelstrom Portal will be effective against typically aggressive opponents. Fire Fly provides some much needed fuel to start building your totem collection as well.
Totem Shaman tips, combos and synergies
Although this Totem Shaman deck list is subject to change (and it almost certainly will change in the next few days), we'll run you through the combos contained within it.
This is the best way of grasping the fundamental strategy involved in playing this archetype, and we'll tweak the details contained here as cards are added in and removed over time.
- Primal Fusion lets you grant a single minion +1 / +1 of stats for each Totem you currently have out in play. The obvious synergy here is between Windshear Stormcaller and the spawn of Al'Akir the Windlord!
- Unstable Evolution can be extremely powerful if it's played later on in the game, as you can simply burn through any excess Mana just repeatedly upgrading your target minion!
- Careful how you position your Flametongue Totem as you may need to cycle through a number of minor minions in order to clear down a threat.
- Jade Claws not only gives you a very useful form of early game removal, you'll also gain a small 1 /1 minion on the board. Other Jade Synergy is provided by Jade Lightning and Aya Blackpaw.
- The following cards combo with Wicked Witchdoctor to bring one of your basic totems into play: Primal Fusion, Devolve, Maelstrom Portal, Primal Talismans and Bloodlust (although if you're playing that last card you're probably already in the driving seat!)
- On the subject of Bloodlust, do keep checking and double-checking the amount of lethal you have at your disposal. Take the number of minions you have on the board, multiply it by three, and add that number to the raw Attack value you have on your current turn. You might be able to finish things up a turn earlier than you think!
- You need one of each of your basic totems on the board for Windshear Stormcaller to summon Al'Akir the Windlord with its Battlecry.
- Thing from Below costs one less Mana to play for every totem - whatever the source - you summoned into play earlier on.