Reno Mage is a Hearthstone deck archetype that allows you to play a very, very long game indeed. Your objective is to draw together all of your devastating sources of firepower in order to obliterate your opponent's face after you've ideally shrunk them down to size with Alexstrasza. The waiting game is prolonged in your favour by the presence of Reno Jackson, who will restore you back to maximum health as you build your collection and take inevitable damage in the process.
The latest Gadgetzan set has shaken things up further with the addition of a few very interesting new cards. Kazakus himself allows you to craft a deadly potion for whatever's required in any given match, while Volcanic Potion provides a nice board clear against aggro opponents. There are a handful of other new early-game minions to help you stay ahead of the opponent as well.
In our Reno Mage deck guide, we'll outline one example of the many deck lists that are being tested by the pros right now. We've also got a little Mulligan advice to help you start each match well, and that's then followed up with a breakdown of all the combos you need to consider when planning out your future turns.
If you have any questions about playing this deck - or have some juicy tips that we'd all benefit from knowing - do take to the comments and help us get up to speed!
Editor's note - March update: As we head into the final days of the Gadgetzan metagame, so we approach the end of the Reno Jackson era - the card, you'll recall, gets rotated out of Standard with the next expansion. We're sticking with JAB's version of the deck this month, but there are other slightly different versions of Reno Mage you can mess around with too.
(For the Wild version of this deck, make sure you take a look at our Wild Reno Mage deck list and guide)
BREAKING NEWS! - Don't miss our Journey to Un'Goro guide, which contains everything we know about the next expansion for Hearthstone!
Reno Mage (Standard) deck list and strategy - March 2017
We're leading with JAB's take on Reno Mage for the latest iteration of this guide.
We'll keep an eye on how things develop in the weeks ahead of us, and continue updating this guide as we approach the next competitive season.
|1 x Forbidden Flame||1 x Acidic Swamp Ooze|
|1 x Arcane Blast||1 x Bloodmage Thalnos|
|1 x Babbling Book||1 x Dirty Rat|
|1 x Frostbolt||1 x Doomsayer|
|1 x Arcane Intellect||1 x Brann Bronzebeard|
|1 x Forgotten Torch||1 x Kabal Courier|
|1 x Frost Nova||1 x Refreshment Vendor|
|1 x Ice Block||1 x Azure Drake|
|1 x Manic Soulcaster||1 x Emperor Thaurissan|
|1 x Volcanic Potion||1 x Reno Jackson|
|1 x Fireball||1 x Alexstrasza|
|1 x Kazakus|
|1 x Polymorph|
|1 x Water Elemental|
|1 x Cabalist's Tome|
|1 x Blizzard|
|1 x Archmage Antonidas|
|1 x Firelands Portal|
|1 x Flamestrike|
Alternative Reno Mage lists
While the deck list outlined above is our recommended one for climbing the ladder this month, you might like to check out some of the other options that are available.
- 1. Saviors of Uldum - Hearthstone: Saviors of Uldum guide
- 2. Tier List - Hearthstone: Tier List (Saviors of Uldum)
- 3. Dragon Mage - Dragon Mage deck list guide (Saviors of Uldum)
- 4. Spell Mage - Spell Mage deck list guide (Saviors of Uldum)
- 5. Freeze Mage - Freeze Mage deck list guide (Saviors of Uldum)
- 6. Highlander Mage - Highlander Mage deck list guide (Saviors of Uldum)
- 7. Control Mage - Control Mage deck list guide (Saviors of Uldum)
- 8. Phaoris Mage - Phaoris Mage deck list guide (Saviors of Uldum)
- 9. Big Spell Mage - Big Spell Mage deck list guide (Saviors of Uldum)
- 10. Quest Mage - Quest Mage deck list guide (Saviors of Uldum)
Reno Mage (Standard) Mulligan guide - March 2017
As with all of our deck guides right now, it's difficult to give hard and fast Mulligan advice before the metagame settles down a little more. Still, pretty much any of your one or two Mana minion cards will give you a solid opening play and Frostbolt can be a strong keep too.
Once another full month of competitive play is behind us, we should be able to provide more specific advice in this section of our Reno Mage guide. Check back soon for updates.
Reno Mage (Standard) combos and synergies - March 2017
Here are some of the core combos that you need to be aware of in this particular take on Reno Mage:
- You can increase the odds of Doomsayer sticking around to do its job in the late-game by dropping Blizzard against the enemy board as well.
- Brann Bronzebeard will cause every Battlecry effect in this deck to go off twice if he's out on the board at the time the card in question is played.
- Make sure you check out our Kazakus guide for a list of all the possible potions you can craft.
- Emperor Thaurissan will reduce the cost of each card in your hand by a single Mana point, and at the end of each of your turns where he remains on the board.
- The Emperor can have a particularly powerful effect on your Archmage Antonidas, allowing you to generate a fair few Fireball cards on the turn you play the mage out.
- Both Azure Drake and Bloodmage Thalnos increase the power of your damage-dealing spells.
- You can create a Turn 9 emergency Flamestrike effect by combining Volcanic Potion with Blizzard!