Our Menagerie Hunter deck guide features the best deck list for Season 40, with Mulligan advice, strategy tips, card combos and synergies.
Menagerie Hunter is a new kind of Hearthstone archetype - in Un'Goro at least - that draws on the power of Beasts, Murlocs (and a Dragon) to snowball a threat that any opponent will have a tough time reacting to. The deck is packed with tools of the Hunter's trade, and you'll not struggle to present a problem for your opponent at every stage of the game.
It actually owes a lot to the Midrange Hunter - certainly in the early game - and so those familiar with that format should find it very easy to adapt. In our Menagerie Hunter guide, we've highlighted the signature deck list for the archetype, and outlined some basic strategy advice. We've also got a guide to surviving the Mulligan phase, then a look at all of the card combos you have to mess around with. There are lots of these to think about, so take your time here!
If you have any questions about playing the deck, or you've made any tweaks to our highlighted deck list which you think are particularly effective, let us know about them in the comments. Could this be the next big thing for Hearthstone's Hunter? Let's wait and see.
BREAKING NEWS! A new expansion is coming! Check out our Frozen Throne guide for all the latest information.
Menagerie Hunter deck list and strategy - July 2017
Here's the Menagerie Hunter deck list that was recently cooked up by KiwiiNbacon:
|2 x Alleycat||2 x Bluegill Warrior|
|2 x Jeweled Macaw||2 x Murloc Warleader|
|2 x Crackling Razormaw||1 x Cult Master|
|1 x Flare||1 x Finja, the Flying Star|
|2 x Kindly Grandmother||1 x Harrison Jones|
|1 x Scavenging Hyena||1 x The Curator|
|1 x Snake Trap||1 x Primordial Drake|
|2 x Animal Companion|
|2 x Rat Pack|
|1 x Unleash the Hounds|
|2 x Houndmaster|
|2 x Savannah Highmane|
|1 x Call of the Wild|
Deck Import ID:
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAR8KxwOrBoAHkAfbCYEKx64CubIC474CyccCCrUD4wXrB6cI7Qm5tALquwLsuwKJwwKOwwIA
This is a deck that plays out very much like Midrange Hunter - you just have a lot more options for frustrating the opponent and throwing them off their expected game plan.
Regardless of your match-up, it's important that you gain and maintain some kind of presence on the board immediately, so you can then build on that presence to escalate your threat. The Mulligan section below has more advice on how to get off to a solid start. After this it's a case of simply adding as much uncertainty as you can for your opponent, while snowballing the threat you have on the board.
Against aggressive opponents, you want to take a more controlling position, clearing down their board development and making it to the mid-game relatively unpressured. From here you have a wealth of meaty minions that they will struggle to deal with as you push towards the close of the match. In control match-ups, it becomes a little more important to race the opponent, and finish the match off faster. You still have a solid end-game, but you may still find yourself overwhelmed.
If you'd like a look at the deck in action before you try it out for yourself, check out the deck creator's video below. It's a pretty good demonstration of just how much versatility the archetype packs in.
Menagerie Hunter Mulligan guide - July 2017
Go for an early board presence here, and prioritise cards like Alleycat, Jeweled Macaw and Kindly Grandmother. Crackling Razormaw provides a nice little tempo swing if you can drop its Battlecry effect onto a previously prepared Beast minion.
Menagerie Hunter tips, combos and synergies - July 2017
There are quite a few combos to track in this deck, which is unsurprising when you consider how many tools of the trade are included. Try to get familiar with all of the following so that you can actually capitalise on the extreme flexibility afforded by this deck.
- Houndmaster can be used to help every Beast minion punch above its vanilla weight, but how about sticking that boost on Rat Pack? That'll give you a bigger body on the board, and more rat spawns when the enemy takes it out.
- Murloc Warleader provides every other Murloc minion with an extra +2 / +1 of stats, but keep in mind that this boost will vanish when the Warleader is taken out of play by your opponent. The effect is not permanent.
- Finja, the Flying Star pulls two remaining Murlocs from your deck and onto the board when she kills an enemy minion. Make this kill before doing anything else on your turn, as the bonus minions may well change the nature of the rest of your turn.
- Call of the Wild will always grant you a Leokk, which means all of your Beasts gain an extra point of Attack power. Do your sums carefully when you approach the finishing stages of a match - you may be closer to delivering lethal damage than you realise!
- With Cult Master on the board, every minion that dies will add an extra card from your deck to your hand. There's particular synergy here with Unleash the Hounds - you can trade off those meagre doggies straight away for some serious card advantage.
- Unleash the Hounds also has particular synergy with Scavenging Hyena, allowing you to build an intimidating beast while also chipping away at enemy minions at the same time.
- If you've any remaining in your deck, The Curator will add a Dragon, a Beast and a Murloc to your hand. You only have one Dragon in this deck - Primordial Drake - and so you're guaranteed to gain this creature if it wasn't already in your hand. Something to think about as you approach the late game.
- Crackling Razormaw can be used to put a Beast card through the Adapt process. When you do so, you'll have to choose one buff from three options that are randomly grabbed from these ten possibilities:
|Crackling Shield||Divine Shield|
|Flaming Claws||+3 Attack|
|Liquid Membrane||Can't be targeted by spells or Hero Powers|
|Living Spores||Deathrattle: Summon two 1/1 Plants|
|Rocky Carapace||+3 Health|
|Shrouding Mist||Stealth until your next turn|
|Volcanic Might||+1 / +1 stats|