Our Exodia Paladin deck list guide outlines the best deck list for Season 49 (April 2018). This Exodia Paladin guide also contains Mulligan advice, strategy tips, card combos and synergies.
Exodia Paladin is a Hearthstone deck that attracted a fair bit of attention at the start of the Frozen Throne meta, thanks to its very unique playstyle built around the new hero power provided by the Paladin's Death Knight card, Uther of the Ebon Blade.
When you play this spell and your transformation is complete, you'll gain access to a new hero power that summons one of four horsemen of the apocalypse onto the board. If you can summon all four of these 2/ 2 minions onto the board, then your opponent will be immediately killed, regardless of the amount of Health and Armor they might happen to have at the time.
Although it's seeing play again in the Kobolds and Catacombs meta, no-one should mistake this for a top-tier competitive deck right now! Still, if you have the cards and are thoroughly bored of playing the usual roster of Paladin decks, this is great fun - just don't expect a zippy or consistent climb up the ladder.
UPDATED - 12th FEBRUARY 2018
We'd already noticed Exodia Paladin gain a little popularity before the recent round of nerfs, but its fortunes are continuing to improve in the post-nerf meta. It's too early to call this a full-blown comeback for the archetype, but we wanted to update this article to include the latest deck list regardless. We'll be keeping a very close eye on this one...
BREAKING NEWS! - A new expansion is coming! Our massive Hearthstone: The Witchwood guide contains details of the new cards, mechanics and single player content coming to the game.
Exodia Paladin deck list and strategy
This is the most popular and consistent verison of Exodia Paladin that's being played in Kobolds and Catacombs. Make sure you grab the latest Deck Import ID as this one's gone through quite a few changes in recent weeks.
|1 x Blessing of Wisdom||1 x Bloodmage Thalnos|
|2 x Righteous Protector||2 x Dirty Rat|
|2 x Equality||2 x Loot Hoarder|
|2 x Hydrologist||2 x Wild Pyromancer|
|2 x Potion of Heroism||1 x Auctionmaster Beardo|
|2 x Rallying Blade||2 x Burgly Bully|
|2 x Call to Arms|
|2 x Consecration|
|2 x Spikeridged Steed|
|2 x Sunkeeper Tarim|
|1 x Lynessa Sunsorrow|
|1 x Uther of the Ebon Blade|
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAZ8FBu0F3QqdvQK5wQKO0wLj4wIM+wHcA/QF9gfZrgL6vwKzwQLfxAKIxwLjywLt0gL40gIA
Beyond controlling the match carefully in the run up to the late-game (and our combo tips section further down the page explains the ins and outs of this), your job is together a few crucial cards to ensure you get all four horseman out at the same time, without your opponent having the chance to clear the board.
The key here lies in cards Burgly Bully and Auctionmaster Beardo, as well your very low-cost spells. When your opponent casts a spell, you receive a copy of The Coin from Burgly Bully. When you cast a spell (including The Coin), Auctionmaster Beardo, refreshes your hero power.
It's by combining these together in the late-game that you gain enough Mana - and hero power uses - that you can kill the opponent with all four horsemen out in play. Note that while it's useful to do all four in the same turn, you can often spread it across two - you just need one of the horsemen to stay out in play, and for your hero to stay alive to fight another turn!
If this deck proves popular, we'll expand on this strategy section. For now, you'll find the combo section at the bottom of this page the most useful resources for understanding what makes this deck tick.
For now, here's a video of the deck being piloted by Kripparian. Note that this is a pre-Kobolds version of the deck, but the fundamental end-game strategy remains the same:
More great guides:
Exodia Paladin Mulligan guide
Mulliganing this deck is pretty simple, and valuable cards in all match-ups are Righteous Protector, Hydrologist and Rallying Blade and Call to Arms (with a lower priority on this last card). Against typically aggressive opponents, you will likely want to hold onto Consecration.
Exodia Paladin tips, combos and synergies
We've broken down the core win-condition in the strategy section, but this is a tricky deck to play consistently well. Study the following combos carefully before taking this one to the ladder:
- Wild Pyromancer can be combined with Equality for a big board clear, although do keep in mind that all of your own minions will be left with a mere one point of Health each afterwards.
- Another common board clear is Equality followed up by Consecration.
- All friendly minions with Divine Shield will be given extra stats when Rallying Blade is played. Think of cards like Righteous Protector and Potion of Heroism in this regard.
- When played, Call to Arms will summon three minions that cost 2 Mana or less. In this deck that includes Bloodmage Thalnos, Dirty Rat, Loot Hoarder, Wild Pyromancer, Righteous Protector and Hydrologist.
- Sunkeeper Tarim sets every minion (friendly or otherwise) to 3 Mana and 3 Health. This can be a great way of equalising a problematic board, or - in extreme circumstances - neutralising a target you're going to have a lot of trouble dealing with by any other means.
- Spikeridged Steed not only grants a friendly minion an extra + 2 / + 6 of stats and Taunt, when that boosted creature dies it will spawn another 2 / 6 Taunt minion.
- When you field Lynessa Sunsorrow she'll gain the effect of every spell that you'd already cast on other minions earlier on in the match.
- After Uther of the Ebon Blade has been cast you'll gain your new hero power. Getting all four of the new horsemen out onto the board is your big win-condition for this deck.
- If Burgly Bully is out on the board when your opponent casts a spell, a copy of The Coin will be added to your hand.
- Should you cast a spell while Auctionmaster Beardo is in play, your hero power will be refreshed. This is a fundamental part of getting all of your horsemen out on the board simultaneously.