Our Even Shaman deck list guide features the best deck list for The Witchwood (April 2018). Our Even Shaman guide will also be updated with Mulligan advice, card combos and strategy tips.
Even Shaman is a new kind of Hearthstone deck to arrive with The Witchwood. It's got a fair bit of aggro flavour throughout, but you're also looking to build a wide board of token minions so as to cheapen the cost of cards like Sea Giant. You also get to boost those minions with cards like Dire Wolf Alpha and Flametongue Totem.
In the first edition of our Even Shaman guide, we've highlighted one of the strongest deck lists you can make use of at this early stage of the new meta. We've also got some tips on what cards to keep during the Mulligan phase, before wrapping things up with a comprehensive teardown of the combos contained in this exact version of the deck.
In a future update we'll add in general and hero-specific strategy advice. We just need a little more time to play around with the deck ourselves before we can bring you that insight. In the meantime, do share your own tips for playing this one in the comments!
Even Shaman deck list and strategy
Here's a deck list for Even Shaman that was created by Burr0 for the very start of The Witchwood era.
As this is a new kind of deck for the game, you should not be surprised to see this undergo many changes in the weeks to come. We'll track those changes and update our recommended Even Shaman deck list soon:
|2 x Flametongue Totem||1 x Acidic Swamp Ooze|
|2 x Murkspark Eel||2 x Dire Wolf Alpha|
|2 x Primalfin Totem||2 x Vicious Scalehide|
|2 x Stormforged Axe||2 x Corpsetaker|
|2 x Hex||1 x Cult Master|
|1 x Al'Akir the Windlord||2 x Defender of Argus|
|1 x Grim Necromancer|
|2 x Saronite Chain Gang|
|2 x Argent Commander|
|1 x Genn Greymane|
|1 x The Lich King|
|2 x Sea Giant|
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAaoIBs30AsLOAsbLAooHqwYgDJTvAvbsApboApvLApHBAvAH2QfAB/4F +wWZAtMBAA==
We'll update this section with detailed strategy advice once we've had a chance to pilot the deck a little more on the ladder. In the meantime, check out the combo section at the bottom of this page for all the insight you need to get started with the deck.
More great Shaman guides:
- 1. Shudderwock Shaman - Shudderwock Shaman deck list guide (Witchwood)
- 2. Even Shaman - Even Shaman deck list guide (Witchwood)
- 3. Elemental Shaman - Elemental Shaman deck list guide (Witchwood)
- 4. Control Shaman - Control Shaman deck list guide (Witchwood)
- 5. Witchwood Decks - Best Witchwood decks
- 6. Budget Decks - Budget Witchwood Decks
- 7. Monster Hunt - Hearthstone: Monster Hunt guide
Even Shaman Mulligan guide
Until the broader Witchwood meta has settled down a bit it's extremely difficult to give hard, hero-specific Mulligan advice. There are some obvious power plays which are worth keeping in mind though.
Murkspark Eel has huge value potential, and so seems like a no-brainer keep to us. Primalfin Totem likewise helps with the process of broadening your board nice and early on.
Having a weapon to hit early enemy minions with is always useful, making Stormforged Axe an ideal secondary consideration. Flametongue Totem has obvious synergy with your Primalfin Totem, while Vicious Scalehide can likewise be boosted to deal with a bothersome early-game opposite number.
In the next update to our Even Shaman guide we'll have some hero-specific advice on what to keep and chuck against specific opponents. We just need to learn what they're consistently fielding first!
Even Shaman tips, combos and synergies
You won't have played a Shaman deck quite like this before, so let's run through the various combos that you have to play with using Burr0's version of the archetype:
- Plan your positioning of Flametongue Totem and Dire Wolf Alpha carefully so that the weakest minions gain the benefit of the buff in each case. You might need to sacrifice a few minor minions into something larger at some point, and you'll want that buff to keep rolling into your feeblest creatures.
- Murkspark Eel can be used as a fantastic early game ping. If you're lucky you might pick something clean off the board while building a board presence of your own.
- Don't forget that you'll incur an Overload penalty for your next turn when playing Stormforged Axe. Plan out your Mana usage accordingly, but keep in mind that having The Coin in your hand effectively eliminates this negative effect.
- Vicious Scalehide has the new Rush mechanic, which means it can attack other minions on the turn it's played but not the enemy hero. It also returns damage dealt as health to your hero. Don't forget the buffs of cards like Flametongue Totem and Dire Wolf Alpha here either.
- Every time a minion dies - big or spell - your active Cult Master will pluck a card from your deck pile and add it to your hand. The token minions created by Primalfin Totem spring immediately to mind in this context.
- This deck list only contains even-cost cards, and so Genn Greymane reduces the cost of your Hero Power to one Mana. That means you can start using this on odd-Mana turns to build a growing board of totems.
- On the subject of widening your board as much as possible, remember that Sea Giant costs one less Mana for each minion you have in play. Plan your maths carefully here, as you may be able to do more with your current turn than you think at first glance.
- The Lich King is a very special character who grants you one Death Knight card when you hit End Turn. There are eight such cards in total, and he'll gift you one chosen at random from the following pool:
|2||Death Coil||Deal 5 damage to an enemy, or restore 5 Health to a friendly character.|
|2||Death Grip||Steal a minion from your opponent's deck and add it to your hand.|
|2||Obliterate||Destroy a minion. Your hero takes damage equal to its Health.|
|3||Death and Decay||Deal 3 damage to all enemies.|
|4||Anti-Magic Shell||Give your minions +2 / +2 and “Can't be targeted by spells or Hero Powers.”|
|5||Doom Pact||Destroy all minions. Remove the top card from your deck for each minion destroyed.|
|6||Army of the Dead||Remove the top 5 cards of your deck. Summony any minions removed.|
|7||Frostmourne||Deathrattle: Summon every minion killed by this [5 / 3] weapon.|