Our Egg Hunter deck list guide features the best deck list for The Witchwood (August 2018). Our Egg Hunter guide also contains Mulligan advice, card combos and strategy tips.
Egg Hunter is a new twist on the well-established Recruit Hunter, but this version focuses on minor minions rather than the big-end-game threats you'll be used to. To achieve this, it exploits the various board-building opportunities provided by Devilsaur Egg, and although the deck is still in an experimental form right now we wanted to highlight it on Metabomb so you could have a play around with it yourself.
In this first edition of our primer guide, we've got the most popular version of the deck that's being piloted right now, a few tips on completing the Mulligan phase, and then finally an overview of all the card combos contained within the list. Spend a bit of time working through these, as they'll give you the strategic understanding you need to get started.
Should the deck prove truly competitive in the long run then we'll likely expand on this article considerably, but for now we think this should give you all the grounding you need. Let us know how you're getting on with this one in the comments!
Egg Hunter deck list and strategy
Here's the most popular version of the deck that's being played in the current meta. It was created by StanCifka.
|2 x Candleshot||2 x Fire Fly|
|2 x Hunter's Mark||1 x Prince Keleseth|
|2 x Play Dead||2 x Devilsaur Egg|
|2 x Tracking||2 x Tar Creeper|
|2 x Terrorscale Stalker||1 x Defender of Argus|
|2 x Flanking Strike||1 x Saronite Chain Gang|
|1 x Houndmaster Shaw||2 x Carnivorous Cube|
|1 x Deathstalker Rexxar||2 x Witchwood Grizzly|
|2 x Savannah Highmane|
|1 x Kathrena Winterwisp|
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAR8GnOIC+wWA8wKbywKG0wK26gIM4eMC68ICjQGczQKXCKvCAsrDAtjCAt3SAovhAvLxAu0JAA==
See the card combo section towards the bottom of this page for a strategic overview of playing Egg Hunter.
Egg Hunter Mulligan guide
Here are some of the most important cards to look for in your opening hand, with a few extra thoughts on why they're so useful.
- Prince Keleseth - One of the most high-value cards in the game, the earlier you can get this minion out into play then the more the rest of your deck will benefit from it over time.
- Fire Fly - A solid low-cost minion that gives you very rapid board presence and also effectively regenerates itself in your hand.
- Devilsaur Egg - The core component of your board development, with options to trigger that Deathrattle from Play Dead to Terrorscale Stalker and more besides.
Egg Hunter tips, combos and synergies
Here all all of the combos that are contained in this exact version of Egg Hunter. Take a bit of time to read through them all as they'll really help you understand what makes the archetype tick.
- Remember that you are immune while hitting a target with Candleshot, so you can use it to chip away at a problem without incurring self-inflicted damage.
- Hunter's Mark has particular synergy with Candleshot, as it allows you to bring any target down into range of your otherwise rather meagre weapon.
- Once Prince Keleseth has been put into play, every minion remaining in your deck pile gains an extra +1 / +1 of stats. The earlier you can put this character into play, the more benefit you'll gain from it across the remainder of the match-up.
- You have a number of ways of activating your Devilsaur Egg: Play Dead, Terrorscale Stalker and even the taunt effect provided by Defender of Argus. You can also shatter it with Carnivorous Cube and set up a new pair of Eggs - assuming the Cube doesn't get silenced.
- All minions gain the Rush mechanic while Houndmaster Shaw is on the board. That means the minions you play can attack other minions on the other side of the board immediately, but not the enemy hero.
- When you play Witchwood Grizzly onto the board it'll lose one point of Health for each card left in the opponent's hand.
- Deathstalker Rexxar delivers two points of damage to all enemy minions when played, and you also gain a new hero power which allows you to combine the stats of expired beasts to form new creations!