The Hearthstone team are working hard to keep their Battlegrounds game mode updated. Here’s all the latest changes made.
Thankfully, we’re seeing a fair few changes in Battlegrounds already, with new alterations and tweaks added throughout the early period of the game’s release.
January 2020 Updates
January 21st 2020
With the launch of Galakrond's Awakening, we're seeing some new Battlegrounds content too. New minions, a Hero rotation, and a couple buffs and nerfs. You can find all the info on Hearthstone's Blog page, but we've put it below for your convenience.
- Tirion Fordring. Hero Power - Honorable Warband (Cost 1): Give minions with no minion type +1/+1.
- Millhouse Manastorm. Hero Power - Manastorm (Passive): Minions cost 2 gold. Refresh costs 2 gold. Start with 2 gold.
- Imprisoner: Demon. Tier 2 3/3. Taunt. Deathrattle: Summon a 1/1 Imp.
- Fiendish Servant: Demon. Tier 1 2/1. Deathrattle: Give this minion's Attack to a random friendly minion.
- Voidwalker: Has been removed from the Battlegrounds minion pool.
- Golden Zapp Slywick: Now has Mega-Windfury rather than Windfury
- Sir Finley Mrrgglton has been removed from the Battlegrounds Hero pool (he'll be back with a new Hero Power in the future).
Minion lineup history has been added to the Bonus Stats page. You'll beb able to go through your last 5 board states before you won or lost.
When hovering over opponents on the scoreboard, you'll be able to see how many of the majority minion Tribe they have in their lineup. This'll help you plan your buys around the opponents' board.
In-game Matchmaking adjustments: You'll no longer face the same player, or Kel'thuzad, more than once every 3 combat rounds.
- Spawn animations have been disabled when playing minions from your hand in Battlegrounds.
- Increased the drag speed of minions in the Shop phase of Battlegrounds.
- Cut down the animation time of the Poison effect in Battlegrounds.
- Reduced the amount of screen shake in Battlegrounds games.
- Minion 'sleep' animations have been disabled in Battlegrounds games.
Battlegrounds Bug Fixes
- Fixed an issue where +0 rating was incorrectly shown at the end of the game
- Fixed an issue where minions would swap positions on the board when playing and moving them very quickly.
- Fixed an issue where minions in the shop would be un-interactable if you clicked on them immediately after a refresh.
- Fixed an issue where Battlegrounds buttons could not be clicked while the hand was enlarged on mobile devices.
- Fixed an issue on mobile devices where tapping a minion would cause it to hover on the board.
- Fixed an issue where Zapp Slywick would attack a Taunt minion before redirecting to his correct target. (Note: This caused Secrets like Autodefense Matrix to trigger on the Taunt minion instead of Zapp’s real target.)
- Fixed an issue where a minion’s voice over line would play when buying a minion immediately after a reroll.
- Fixed an issue where a minion resurrected by Redemption would not attack.
- Fixed an issue that was causing the effects of normal Brann Bronzebeard and golden Brann Bronzebeard to stack.
- Fixed an issue that was causing the effects of normal Baron Rivendare and golden Baron Rivendare to stack.
- Fixed several issues related to spectating Battlegrounds games.
- A fix has been implemented to prevent an accidental use of the Hero Power during the hero select phase.
- History for damage done to Kel’Thuzad now correctly includes damage from minions.
January 8th 2020
We're about to be hit with a brand new update this week. Along with some Standard format balance changes, the Battlegrounds are impacted too. You can find the full blog post by Kurt Ocher on Blizzard's forums, but for your convenience you can find it below. Expect buffs to heroes who have been performing poorly over recent weeks, as well as a couple old faces returning to the game mode.
Here's a quick roundup of patch 16.0.8 in Battlegrounds:
- Shudderwock - Burbling: Cost reduced from 2 to 1.
- Queen Wagtoggle - Wax Warband: Give a random friendly Mech, Demon, Murloc and Beast +2 Attack (instead of +1 Health).
- Infinite Toki - Temporal Tavern: Cost reduced from 2 to 1. Now reads: 'Refresh Bob’s Tavern. Include a Minion from a higher Tavern Tier.'
- Patches the Pirate - Has returned to the Battlegrounds Hero Pool. Fire the Cannons!: At the start of next combat, deal 4 damage to two random enemy minions (increased from 3 damage).
- Pyramad - Has returned to the Battlegrounds Hero Pool. Brick by Brick: Give a random friendly minion +3 Health (increased from +2 Health).
Golden Soul Juggler has been changed to deal 3 damage to a random enemy minion twice when a friendly Demon dies (instead of 6 damage one time).
Quality of Life Changes
Selfless Hero's Deathrattle, which gives a friendly minion Divine Shield, will now only target minions who don't already have Divine Shield.
December 2019 Updates
December 19th 2019
The 16.0.5 balance update isn't as extensive as its predecessor, but it's still likely to have a big impact on the metagame. We're seeing a number of cards who've felt a bit too expensive get moved down a tier, while others which have felt too strong get a price hike.
Here's a quick roundup of the tweaks:
- The Boogeymonster - Moved from Tavern Tier 5 to Tavern Tier 4.
- Mechano-egg - Moved from Tavern Tier 5 to Tavern Tier 4.
- The Beast - Moved from Tavern Tier 4 to Tavern Tier 3.
- Coldlight Seer - Moved from Tavern Tier 2 to Tavern Tier 3.
- Primalfin Lookout - Moved from Tavern Tier 4 to Tavern Tier 5.
- Nightmare Amalgam - Has been removed from the pool of available minions.
- Brann Bronzebeard - Has been removed from the pool of available heroes.
- Bartendotron Has been added to the pool of available heroes.
December 5th 2019
Three new heroes, plus plenty of buffs and nerfs have hit the battlegrounds. First, here's a look at all the new heroes:
- Edwin VanCleef- Sharpen Blades - Costs 1. Give a minion +1/+1 for each minion you’ve bought this turn.
- Sylvanas Windrunner- Banshee’s Blessing - Costs 0. Remove a friendly minion to give adjacent minions +1/+1.
- Arch-Villain Rafaam- I’ll Take That! - Costs 1. Next combat, add a plain copy of the first minion you kill to your hand. (Note: this is an unbuffed, non-golden copy.)
A number of heroes have been temporarily benched. They'll be back at some point in the future, likely with some tweaks to make them a touch better to play. Here's who's taking a break:
- Patches the Pirate
- Professor Putricide
- Trade Prince Gallywix
Some have made a triumphant return, though. Here's who's back:
- Millificent Manastorm
- Lich Baz'hial
Finally, here's a roundup of all the buffs and nerfs:
- Millificent Manastorm: All Mechs in Bob's Tavern get +1/+1. → All Mechs in Bob's Tavern get +1 Attack.
- Patchwerk: All Patched Up - Starts at 60 Health. → Starts at 50 Health.
- A. F. Kay: Procrastinate - Skip your first 2 turns. Start with a minion from Tavern Tier 3 and Tavern Tier 4. → Start with two minions from Tavern Tier 3.
- The Rat King: King of Beasts - Whenever you Hire a Beast give it +1/+2. Swaps type each turn. → Whenever you Hire a Beast give it +1/+1. Swaps type each turn.
- Lich Baz’hial: Graveyard Shift - Get a Coin and take 3 damage. → Get a Coin and take 2 damage.
- The Great Akazamzarak: Prestidigitation - Will now be harder to get Ice Block consecutively. Removed Hand of Salvation as a possible secret.
November 2019 Updates
On November 19th, we saw the 2nd ever Battlegrounds patch. It’s brought about some brand new Heroes to play for the first time since the mode’s launch. Members of the League of Explorers - Brann, Elise, and Finley - have been added to the mode, as well as Sindragosa. You can find their specific Hero Powers and abilities below, and we’ll be updating our Hearthstone Battlegrounds Tier List accordingly.
With these additions, some Heroes have been dropped. King Mukla, Luch Baz’hial, Giantfin, and Millificent Manastorm have made way, but we’ll probably see them again soon.
We’re also getting some long-awaited balance changes to the Tavern. Mech synergies have been given a nerf, with Junkbot upped from rank 4 to 5, meaning you’ll need to upgrade your Tavern an extra level to get that ridiculous snowball effect. Murlocs and Demons have received some buffs too. Primalfin Lookout and Coldlight Seer can now be accessed a rank earlier, and Voidlord has been moved from tier 6 to 5. This should make these two builds more viable.
The development team has promised more updates too, including balance changes, new Heroes, and new minions, including King Bagurgle (a completely new card) and Floating Watcher (from Goblins vs. Gnomes).
Early December is the date of the next update, so keep an eye out - we’ll keep you abreast of the situation.
We’ve put the full patch notes below for your convenience, but you can check out the blog post on Hearthstone’s site if you fancy.
November 19th 2019
Bob the Bartender has been hard at work keeping the tavern tidy for Hearthstone’s heroes, and it appears that the news has started to spread. Hearthstone Battlegrounds is about to add some extra chaos—and a few Explorers—with a new update coming to the mode today.
Sindragosa, Elise Starseeker, Brann Bronzebeard, and Sir Finley Mrrgglton are the latest heroes to enter the Battlegrounds. Each one comes with a new hero power to give you more options to push toward a first-place finish. Read on for details on these new heroes, as well as some additional updates coming to Hearthstone Battlegrounds.
Please note that these updates do not require an additional download.
New Hero: Sindragosa
New Hero: Elise Starseeker
NOTE: The "Recruitment Map" recruits a minion from your current tavern tier after upgrading Bob's Tavern.
New Hero: Brann Bronzebeard
New Hero: Sir Finley Mrrgglton
Heroes Leaving the Battlegrounds
To make way for new challengers, the Heroes below have left Hearthstone Battlegrounds for the time being. We may see them return in a future update.
- King Mukla
- Millificent Manastorm
- Lich Baz’hial
- Primalfin Lookout: Moved from Tavern Tier 5 to Tavern Tier 4
- Voidlord: Moved from Tavern Tier 6 to Tavern Tier 5
- Junkbot: Moved from Tavern Tier 4 to Tavern Tier 5
- Coldlight Seer: Moved from Tavern Tier 3 to Tavern Tier 2
Developer comments: We wanted to buff both Demons and Murlocs, so we moved those minions down a Tavern Tier. Junkbot was a bit too strong for Tavern Tier 4 and often made it so mech players never had a good reason to upgrade to Tavern Tier 5. With these changes, we think the minion types are closer together in power level.
We’ve made adjustments to the number of points given for first place. In the original system, you got 240 points for a first place on your first game, and 24 pts for a first place on your 150th (or later) game. Now, you will get 190 pts for a first place on your first game and 95 pts for a first place on your 150th (or later) game.
- Infested Wolf: The Triple version of Infested Wolf has been moved from Tavern Tier 2 to Tavern Tier 3, consistent with its base form.
- Rat Pack: The Triple version of Rat Pack has been moved from Tavern Tier 3 to Tavern Tier 2, consistent with its base form.
- Plant tokens spawned from Adapt effects are now Tavern Tier 1.
- Snake tokens spawned from Snake Trap are now Tavern Tier 1.
As of today, we are planning our next Battlegrounds update for early December. Below is a brief preview of some of the things we’re working on.
- We’d like to continue balancing minions and Heroes based on how they’re performing. We don’t have the changes solidified yet, but we’ll be watching things closely and will have more to say soon.
- We’d like to continue rotating new Heroes into the game while rotating some existing Heroes out. We have some recognizable faces we’re working to include in December.
- We have two new minions in the works that we’re currently planning to include in the December update: King Bagurgle, a brand-new card, and Floating Watcher, which you may recognize from the Goblins vs. Gnomes set.
- We have been working on the first iteration of the Stats feature, to give you more insight into your performance. We’d like to surface some fun stats, like how many Triples you’ve created, your top five Heroes by wins, and more. An updated version of Stats will be available next year.
November 11th 2019
We’re in the process of releasing a new update, which is now live on PC and rolling out over the next few hours on mobile operating systems. This update contains a variety of optimizations to improve performance when playing Battlegrounds, especially on devices with fewer than 2GB of RAM. Please note that players on devices with lower memory may still experience degraded performance.
As a note for iOS users, please ensure you have updated to the latest version of iOS to receive the greatest performance increase from these optimizations.
There were some balance changes that we identified based on our initial testing that didn’t quite make it in for release, so we’re making those live with today’s update.
- Mama Bear: Changed from 5/5 giving +5/+5 to 4/4 giving +4/+4.
- Kangor’s Apprentice: Changed from 4/8 to 3/6.
- Infinite Toki: Changed from 1 cost to 2 and now reads “Refresh Bob’s Tavern. Add a minion from a higher Tavern Tier.”
- King Mukla: Changed to “Passive Hero Power: Whenever you buy a beast, add a Banana to your hand.”
- Jaraxxus: Hero power changed from 3 cost to 2.
Game fixes and improvements
- Squelch now works as intended + no longer causes crashes under certain circumstances
- Daily Quests can now be rerolled
- Hallow’s End Arena Daily Quest can now be completed
- A variety of Android crashes have been fixed
- Memory optimization for Battlegrounds for devices with less than 2GB of RAM
We’re aiming to make updates fairly regularly – every month or so, or perhaps a little faster. We’ll have more information on future updates over the next few weeks.
While I’m here, I wanted to talk a bit about Battlegrounds and what we’re seeing and feeling since we launched in beta last week.
Overall, we’ve been thrilled by the response players have had to Battlegrounds, and we’ve been closely watching the feedback coming in. We’re continuing to work on a variety of things coming in the future, but I’d like to call out to a few of them. Please note all of this is future-looking – none of this is getting added quite yet.
New Heroes and Minions!
We’ve been cooking up some new heroes and minions, and we’ll be making them live within the game with our next update. We don’t want to say too much right now, but a couple of very familiar faces will be included.
We know the amount of gameplay information that informs how players are performing is limited right now, and we are already hard at work on an advanced stats screen that will be available in the next update. We’ll have much more detail soon, but expect things like your top 5 heroes by wins, most played heroes, how many first place finishes you’ve completed, and more.
We want to give players more useful information about their opponents so they can make more informed gameplay decisions and build more complex strategies. On the left-hand leaderboard we’re going to be adding some addition information on the minion types that your opponents have. For example, you’ll be able to see that one of your opponents currently holds three murlocs and two demons.
The Selling Experience
We want to make some improvements to how minions are sold, allowing minions to be sold from your hand. We think this will make it into the game some time early next year, and we’ll have more updates on how that is progressing, especially if we think it will come later than January.
Open Beta begins tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov. 12th @ 10am PT! We hope to see you all in the Tavern!
That’s all the patch notes from Hearthstone Battlegrounds! We’re expecting updates monthly, and will keep you updated whenever new changes are made. We’ve got more help on how to access the mode, as well as a helpful tier list detailing the best Heroes to pick too, so give them a browse if you need a hand!