Our Fortnite The Getaway LTM guide contains all the details on this new limited time mode and the new Grappler weapon too.
First teased at PAX West 2018, the High Stakes event is now underway and brings with it a new limited time mode called The Getaway. What's so exciting about this mode is the way it completely shakes up the formula with an objective that isn't just, "Survive the Storm". Positively refreshing, and perhaps a nod to future Fornite content too?
In The Getaway there are four teams of four players (yes, only four!) each aiming to reach various safes loaded with valuables on the Battle Royale map. Once they’ve found the safe, players will battle over securing the treasure locked inside before shuffling it to a designated pickup point where a Battle Bus will be waiting for them. It’s like a game of Capture the Flag, with only one flag, that’s a safe - you get the idea...
Oh, and let’s not forget the brand new weapon that’s being introduced with High Stakes. It’s called the Grappler, but it’s essentially a plunger pistol that allows you to rappel up surfaces for some extra verticality.
Below we've outlined everything you need to know about both The Getaway and Grappler!
The Getaway LTM: Overview
Here’s how The Getaway operates:
- Jewels can be found in special supply drop safes, located along the edge of the first storm circle.
- The safes take a long time to open, so make sure the area is clear before attempting to claim a Jewel!
- Four Jewels will be in play on the map AT ALL TIMES. If a player escapes with a Jewel or one is lost in the storm, a new supply drop will bring a replacement.
- When a Jewel is picked up, it will be visible on the map to everyone for 30 seconds.
- Carrying a Jewel will give players health & shields over time, but also slow them down by 10%.
- Four TOTAL Getaway Vans will be in the map, three that arrive early in the match and one more that shows up near the end.
- Getaway Vans float in mid-air, Jewel carriers must build up and then interact with them in order to complete a Getaway.
- The goal is to find or steal a Jewel and take it to one of the vans in order to secure a Victory Royale.
- Once they arrive, safe drops and Getaway Vans will be visible on the map at all times.
- 12 red "Pursuit" Supply Drops land at the very beginning of the match. These carry a variety of longer-range weapons and other items, and are the only way to obtain the new Grappler in this mode.
- Resource harvesting amounts increased by 50%.
- Only Rare weapons or higher will be found in this mode.
- Rifts, Rift-To-Go and Launchpads have been removed to reduce mobility for Getaway Van engagements.
- Profile Stats (K/D & Wins) are tracked in this mode, but Umbrellas are not awarded for wins.
As the name suggests, you’ll be able to fly up surfaces with this weapon.
Footage courtesy of IGN.
Here's a breakdown of how it works:
- Fire at a nearby object to pull yourself towards it.
- Can be found in Vending Machines, floor loot, Treasure Chests, Supply Drops, and Supply Llamas.
- Chain multiple shots together to travel great distances.
- Has 15 charges. Discarded when charges are depleted.
- Epic rarity.