Our Fortnite: Season 5 guide contains everything you need to know about Fortnite's Season 5, including a weekly challenges list, map changes and Battle Pass costs and rewards.
Fortnite Season 5's well underway and it's definitely the most exciting season yet thanks to some much needed map changes and a tonne of new cosmetic content to get stuck into. We're sure there's more surprises on the horizon too.
Season 4's arrival was marked by a colossal meteor impact akin to World of Warcraft's Cataclysm expansion back in the day. It obliterated some of the map's locations and altered some permanently, all the while bringing in zero gravity rocks, giving rise to a research lab and a superhero theme.
Season 5's expanded the game's theme this time. "Worlds Collide" introduces mysterious Rifts that teleport users into the sky, a brand new Desert Biome, an All Terrain Kart, Viking Villages, Dinosaurs and the possibility of more crazy worlds...well, colliding.
Below we've summarised everything you need to know about Fortnite Season 5, including Battle Pass details, Weekly Challenge guides and all the map changes. We'll be keeping this page updated as the game continues to evolves, so bookmark this guide if you're after all the latest developments!
Need help with something specific? Use the following links to jump straight into what you're after!
- 1. What are the Season 5 Weekly Challenges?
- 2. How much does the Battle Pass cost?
- 3. How do I purchase the Season 5 Battle Pass?
- 4. What are the Battle Pass rewards?
- 5. What map changes are there in Season 5?
- 6. What is the theme in Season 5?
- 7. What are the Season 5 patch notes?
- 8. What was the Season 5 release date?
What are the Season 5 Weekly Challenges?
Each Thursday, Fortnite's updated with a new set of Weekly Challenges. Complete these and you'll be rewarded with Battle Stars that'll go towards levelling up your Battle Pass - so it's definitely well worth investing time in.
In contrast to Season 4, Season 5's slimlining the number of Weekly Challenges and split them up into two sections. Here's how it works now:
- There are 3 Weekly Challenges for free players.
- There are 4 exclusive Weekly Challenges only available for Season 5 Battle Pass owners.
Below we'll be compiling every week's set of challenges starting with the most recent at the top. Click on the links for extra tips and advice on getting them out of the way quickly!
- Deal Headshot Damage to opponents (0/500). 5 Battle Stars
- Harvest building resources with a pickaxe (0/3,000). 5 Battle Stars
- Search where the Stone Heads are looking (0/1) - HARD. 10 Battle Stars
- Search chests in Lonely Lodge (0/7). 5 Battle Points
- Completed timed trials (0/5). 5 Battle Stars
- Minigun or Light Machine Gun Eliminations (0/2) - HARD. 10 Battle Stars
- Eliminate opponents in Tilted Towers - HARD (0/3). 10 Battle Stars
- Build Structures (0/250). 5 Battle Stars
- Jump through Flaming Hoops with a Shopping Cart or ATK (0/5). 10 Battle Stars
- Eliminate opponents in Dusty Divot (0/3) - HARD. 10 Battle Stars
- Deal damage with Sniper Rifles to opponents (0/500). 5 Battle Points
- Search Chests in Flush Factory (0/7). 5 Battle Stars
- Search between a Gas Station, Soccer Pitch, and Stunt Mountain - HARD (0/1). 10 Battle Stars
- Pistol Eliminations - HARD (0/3). 10 Battle Stars
- Deal damage to opponents in a single match (0/500). 5 Battle Stars
- Search Chests in Fatal Fields (0/7). 5 Battle Stars
- Eliminate opponents in Haunted Hills (0/3) - HARD. 10 Battle Stars
- Shoot a Clay Pigeon at different locations (0/4). 5 Battle Points
- Use a Launchpad (0/1). 10 Battle Stars
- Follow the treasure map found in Flush Factory - HARD (0/1). 10 Battle Stars
- Explosive Weapon Eliminations - HARD (0/3). 10 Battle Stars
- Deal damage with Assault Rifles to opponents (0/1000). 5 Battle Stars
- Search 7 Ammo Boxes in a single match (0/7). 5 Battle Stars
- Eliminate opponents in Paradise Palms (0/3) - HARD. 10 Battle Stars
- Score a basket on different hoops (0/5). 5 Battle Points
- Search Chests in Loot Lake (0/7). 10 Battle Stars
- Search between an Oasis, Rock Archway, and Dinosaurs - HARD (0/1). 10 Battle Stars
- Sniper Rifle Eliminations - HARD (0/2). 10 Battle Stars
- Deal damage with SMGs to opponents (0/500). 5 Battle Stars
- Search a Suppply Llama (0/1). 5 Battle Stars
- Clinger, Stink Bomb, or Grenade Eliminations - HARD. 10 Battle Stars
- Search Chests in Snobby Shores (0/7). 5 Battle Points
- Search floating Lightning Bolts (0/7). 10 Battle Stars
- Follow the treasure map found in Risky Reels - HARD (0/1). 10 Battle Stars
- Eliminate opponents in Retail Row - HARD (0/3). 10 Battle Stars
How much does Season 5's Battle Pass cost?
Season 5’s Battle Pass is 950 V-Bucks. This translates to around £8.99 or $9.50 in real world currency, which is a pretty good deal for the amount of content you’ll get if you ask us.
You can’t actually purchase 950 V-Bucks specifically, so you’ll likely have to fork out money to buy 1000 V-Bucks instead. So once you’ve unlocked the Battle Pass you’ll be left with 50 V-Bucks which you can start stashing for a future Item Shop purchase.
The Battle Bundle also returns for Season 5. It costs 2,800 V-bucks which equates to £19.99 in real world currency, but grants you bonus rewards including instant tier unlocks and bonus EXP for a limited time.
Finally, if you purchase the Season 5 Battle Pass later in the season, you’ll still be retroactively awarded items up to your current level.
How do you purchase Season 5's Battle Pass?
Purchase Season 5's Battle Pass and you'll be able to unlock all the cosmetic rewards on offer as you level up. If you're unfamiliar with how to navigate the main menu and get hold of the Battle Pass, we've put together a step by step guide below.
- Login to the game.
- From the main menu screen, click the Battle Pass tab at the top of the screen.
- Select "Purchase" towards the bottom left of the menu page.
- Now you've got to choose from the 950 V-Bucks "Battle Pass" or the 2,800 V-Bucks "Battle Bundle". If you're after the standard Battle Pass, select the former option. If you want 25 tiers unlocked instantly, select the latter.
- Next you'll be prompted to "Get V-Bucks". Select this and choose how many you want to purchase using real world currency.
- Select an option, click "Purchase" and you'll be redirected to a payment screen. Select your payment method and complete the process.
- The V-Bucks will appear in your account instantly.
- Go back to the "Battle Pass" tab, click purchase and you'll know it's been unlocked successfully as an animation will play.
- Now get out there and level it up to get your rewards!
What rewards will you earn with Season 5's Battle Pass?
New Tiers, Bundles and Cosmetic Rewards
When you purchase the Season 5 Battle Pass, you'll instantly unlock a big batch of in-game rewards including two skins! As you play during the season, you'll unlock a series of reward tiers.
If you purchased Season 4's Battle Pass, you'll also start Season 5 off with 5 free tiers completely unlocked.
What's more, if you've not got the time to work towards unlocks every day, you can still purchase tiers for 150 V-Bucks each or buy the Battle Bundle for 2800 V-Bucks which will immediately unlock +25 tiers at a 40% discount.
With Season 5's Battle Pass there are now a whole host of new Outfits, Gliders, Pickaxes, Backblings and Toys. If you're after a closer look at all these new rewards, make sure you have a glance at the gallery we've posted below.
What map changes are there in Season 5?
In Season 5 there is a brand new Desert Biome with a couple of new named locations, "Paradise Palms" and "Lazy Links". What's more, a few unnamed points of interest have popped up across the island too!
Here are screenshots of many new locations courtesy of FortniteINTEL:
Anarchy Acres has been replaced by Lazy Links
For a full list of Fortnite's locations, make sure you check out our Map Locations page. Our Easter Eggs page is also well worth reading if you're after a more in-depth look at some extra points of interest!
What is the theme in Season 5?
The theme for Season 5 is "Worlds Collide" and it suggests that the real world is being sucked into the game itself.
Check out the opening cinematic here:
Original Theme Teasers
It's hard to pinpoint exactly what theme Fortnite Season 5 is going to take but we've got a handful of in-game teases to go by. Here's a summary of what's been happening around Fortnite's map and what it might mean for the game's theme going forward.
Cinematic of Fortnite's rocket launch by Enzait
- A huge rocket launched from the Enemy Lair on the west side of the map which looked as if it was going to destroy Tilted Towers, but exploded prematurely in the air and created an enormous crack in the sky.
- Since this event small cracks have been appearing across the map in a number of named locations. Tomato Town, Durr Burger in Greasy Grove and Retail Row have all been home to these strange anomalies.
- Durr Burger has even been spotted in real life! Twitter user selashiloni was out and about in the Californian desert and stumbled into the enormous burger sitting on the sand. A police car was also found at the scene which resembles those that can be found in-game.
- These anomalies aren't just knocking around for ominous aesthetics either. They're sucking objects (mainly signposts?) in, and spitting out other fanciful items ranging from anchors to carriages.
- With these portals spitting out possible history themed items, we could be in for some dramatic map changes in Season 5. We certainly expect some of Fortnite's less popular areas to get a real makeover, or even get replaced entirely by a rift. If anything, these rifts allude to Epic's plan for fresh content addition throughout the season. We reckon they'll spring up randomly as the weeks go by, sucking in old locations and replacing them with new things!
What are the Season 5 patch notes?
Here's an overview of all the important stuff from the Season 5 official patch notes.
- There's an All Terrain Kart (ATK)
- The new All Terrain Kart (ATK) has room for your entire squad.
- Get a speed boost after drifting.
- The roof acts as a bounce pad.
- Work together as rear passengers to leap over obstacles with the All Terrain Kart (ATK). Lean back and release at the same time for a higher jump.
- Lean back by holding S on keyboards or holding back on the thumbstick for controllers.
New Map Update
- There are now mysterious Rifts you can step into.
- New Biome: Desert
- New Location: Paradise Palms
- New Location: Lazy Links
- A few unnamed POIs have also appeared across the island.
- The center of Storm circles 7, 8, and 9 can now shift in random directions (instead of simply shrinking). As the storm closes in, it will move & shrink to the new location.
- Starting in Season 5, progressive challenges will no longer be restricted to a single season. You can now complete progressive challenges at your own pace.
- Progressive challenges are now completed by acquiring a fixed amount of XP and is no longer dependant on your season level.
- Gyro/motion controls have been added to the Nintendo Switch. Adjust these options in the Settings menu.
- Weekly challenges are now split into two sections, free and Battle Pass. The first 3 challenges will be available for free while the last 4 are only available if you own the Battle Pass. The threshold to unlock the weekly challenge reward will remain at 4.
- Down But Not Out players now have smaller collision. Previously their collision was at the standing height which blocked DBNO players from crawling under doors and blocked building collision in some cases.
- Players that were crouching when knocked Down But Not Out will be returned to a crouching state upon revival.
- Emoting will now interrupt sprinting.
- You now earn XP for reviving teammates in 50v50 and Teams of 20 LTMs up to three times per match (30XP, 10XP, 10XP).
- Weapon reticle will now fade slightly when reloading, out of ammo, or changing weapons.
- The player camera can now see out of the water when walking in lakes.
When will Season 5 start and end?
We've been given official confirmation over on the Fortnite's subreddit, with Epic community coordinator MrPopoTFS giving us details on the date and when exactly we'll be able to get stuck into the new content.
Here's what he had to say:
Season 4 is coming to an end! We want to give you a heads up on the exact ending time. You may have seen the timer update in-game, which means we are giving you two more days to complete Season 4! Season 5 will begin on July 12th at 4 AM EDT (08:00 GMT).
Want even more help earning those last few Battle Pass rewards? We’ll be running a +100% match XP weekend starting June 29th at 4AM EDT (08:00 GMT) and ending on July 2nd at 3AM EDT (07:00 GMT). Hop in, catch up on challenges, and earn those Season 4 rewards while you can!
- Season 5 begins on July 12th 2018.
- Season 5 officially starts at 08:00 GMT.
Season’s usually last a total of 10 weeks, so it’s likely that Season 5 will come to an end sometime in mid September.
It’s worth quickly noting that at the end of every Season, all the Battle Pass cosmetic rewards will be placed in the vault and no longer be obtainable. So make sure you get levelling and completing those Weekly Challenges before things come to a close soon!
This concludes the third edition of our Season 5 guide, but we’ll completely overhaul it once we learn more about Fortnite’s fifth season. Keep this page bookmarked for all the latest news!