Our Fortnite: Playground LTM guide contains everything you need to know about this new limited time practice mode in Fortnite: Battle Royale.
Fortnite separates itself from other Battle Royale games (ahem, PUBG) with its complex building mechanics which is easy to pick up but incredibly difficult to master. Not to forget that it’s also home to a wide variety of weapons and an intricate map that encourages action above all else.
Frustratingly, there’s been no other way than hopping into match after match in order to hone different aspects of your game. When everyone’s out to get you in a normal game of Fortnite, it’s easy to throw practice out of the window and focus on earning the Victory Royale instead.
Sometimes all we’ve wanted to do in Fortnite is sit in a sandbox and practice building for a while without any real distractions, or even shoot enemies over and over with deathmatch style respawns to sharpen our aim. Well, the Playground LTM is Epic Games’ first step towards providing us with a way to sit back, relax and start improving our skills.
Below we’ve put together everything we know so far about the Playground LTM mode, including how it works, when it’s likely to be released and some things you can do to practice when it goes live.
When you're done here, why not check out our Season 5 guide? It contains everything you need to know about this season of Fortnite: Battle Royale.
UPDATE: 24th July 2018
Fortnite's Playground LTM returns July 25th!
Thanks to FortniteINTEL, we've got details on all the new features being added this time around.
Here's a complete breakdown of all the new features coming to Playground V2:
- Players can now switch teams in-game. Join the same team to work together creatively, join separate teams to practice fighting each other!
- Note: Voice chat will remain on across all teams, future iterations of the mode will offer more customization.
- Aim assist will work when using a gamepad against players on an opposing team.
- Matches will no longer end if one player leaves the server.
- Golf carts have been added and spawn 100% of the time.
- Ammo cans spawn 10x the amount of ammo.
- Removed grey vending machines, increased the chances of higher-tier machines spawning.
- Increased launch & bounce pads spawn likelihood.
- Lowered forced glider deploy height, so players can get back into the action more quickly.
- Increased max rocket ammo cap to 60.
- Increased rocket ammo drop rates.
- Added 100 Supply Drops.
- Chests now spawn 3 weapons and more ammo & consumables than normal.
- Floor loot now spawns 3 items.
- Increased Chug Jug and Slurp Juice spawn chances, decreased Bandages.
- Added Chug Jugs to floor loot.
- Respawn timer lowered from 10s to 3s.
UPDATE: 29th June 2018
Playground's arrived, but not in the condition we'd hoped for. Epic's taken it offline to fix some persistent issues, and our guess is that it'll be available again in a couple of days.
There's no need to worry about how long the mode will stay in the game for either, Epic will almost certainly compensate for the downtime.
We need to continue testing our matchmaking improvements before opening the Playground LTM. We know you’re eager to get out there but due to this we’ll be unable to release this game mode tonight. More details available tomorrow.; Fortnite (@FortniteGame) June 29, 2018
We'll keep you updated on the Playground LTM's server status, so keep this page bookmarked or visit Epic's official "server status" link in the tweet we've embedded above.
In the meantime, here's everything you need to know about this LTM:
- You’ll have one hour to create, play and train as you wish. Hop in and try out version 1 of Playground!
- Drop into the Battle Royale map with a squad of friends for an hour.
- Friendly Fire is on.
- Players respawn on death unless killed by the storm.
- The storm doesn't start closing in for 55m, and takes 5 minutes to close in.
- Resources gathered grant 10x the normal rate.
- 100 Llamas will be spawned on the map.
- Chests & Ammo Boxes spawn 100% of the time.
UPDATE: 25th June 2018
It's been confirmed that Fortnite's much anticipated Playground LTM is arriving sometime this week!
Fortnite's "New Updates" section now contains the message, "Playground LTM - Coming Soon! Let your creativity run wild on your own private island". While there's no date, we know that anything featured in this section arrives in the same week.
It's been a long time since the Playground LTM was first announced, but Epic's latest announcement in the client seems to suggest that we need not worry - nothing's changed. We're still going to get a chance to practice building, harvesting resources, shooting and generally just mucking about in our own private space.
As soon as it goes live we'll update this page with all the latest information, as well as further tips, tricks and strategy advice to getting the most out of this practice mode before it disappears- keep this page bookmarked for all the latest!
Playground LTM: Everything we know so far
Here’s a complete breakdown of what you can expect from the upcoming Playground LTM.
- We currently haven’t been given a release date for this limited time mode yet, but we reckon it won’t be long before it’s introduced in-game. Let’s say a couple of weeks at most!
- Match timer is extended.
- Resource generation is increased.
- All treasure chests and ammo crates will be spawned.
- Friendly fire is on so you can practice against your squad.
- Respawns are immediate.
- There are loads of Llamas across the map.
Playground LTM: Practice Ideas
Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of this LTM.
- Seeing as friendly fire and instant respawns are turned on, it’s the perfect setup for some aim practice. Go ahead and pick up a Sniper or Assault Rifle and have one or two of your teammates jump around and make themselves a difficult target to hit. Spend even just a few minutes doing this and it’ll pay dividends!
- Farm some resources and spend time building random forts. Practice falling from heights and placing platforms to break your fall, have build races against your friends, have someone pepper you with gunfire while you build to escape. You’ll start developing some serious build speed in no time at all.
- It might be worth trying out some new keybinds for building and putting them into practice. Experiment and see what works for you.