Our Fortnite Gifting guide explains how to gift skins and other items to other players in the game.
A gifting system has been requested by Fortnite fans for months now, and it looks as though Epic has finally found a way of making it happen - with some limitations, depending on the platform you play the game on.
The system will launch with update 6.31 and will allow players to send items from the shop to their friends for a period of around one week. It's described as an “initial gifting period” by the devs, so it sounds like they want to keep a close eye on any abuse potential or exploits, before rolling it out on a longer-term basis.
In our gifting guide we've outlined everything you need to know about the system, from its limitations to how you actually gift an item to your friends.
Fortnite: Gifting Overview
Here's the lowdown on how the system works:
- Gifting will be available on all platforms, with the exception of iOS devices. This is because Apple itself does not support such a service.
- After the service launches it will only be available - initially - for around one week, so don't hang around if you want to give someone an early Christmas present.
- You will need to have Multi-factor authentication set up on your account if you want to take part in the gift system.
- You'll only be able to send gifts to someone you've been friends with for at least 48 hours, so make sure set your buddy list up well in advance.
- You can make a maximum of three gifts in any given 24 hour window.
- You cannot refund any items that are gifted.
- If it's not in the Item Shop at the time you want to make the gift, you won't be able to send it.
- If you'd rather not be inundated with lovely, lovely free stuff, you can disable the option to receive gifts in your account settings.
Fortnite: Gifting Walkthrough
Here are the steps you'll need to complete if you want to send a friend a gift in Fortnite:
- Go to the in-game Item Shop.
- Select the item you want to buy.
- Choose “Buy As A Gift” instead of “Purchase Item”.
- After selecting “Buy As A Gift”, select a friend and add a personal message if you wish.
- Complete the payment.
- When your friend next logs into the game, the item will be waiting for them in a gift box, ready to be unwrapped.