Our Fortnite Gifting guide explains how to gift skins and other items to other players in the game.
Fortnite's gifting system has been one of the most heavily requested features and it's finally made it's way into the game - sort of. Rather than being a permanent feature, it's now just a limited time event which pops in here and there, before disappearing for a while. Still, better than nothing, eh?
Gifting originally launched all the way back in update 6.31 and it allows players to send items from the shop to their friends. It's been described as an "initial gifting period" by the devs, so it sounds like they do eventually want to make this a long term thing, but right now they want to keep a close eye on any abuse potential or exploits before rolling it out on a permanent basis.
In our gifting guide we've outlined everything you need to know about the system, from its limitations to how you actually gift an item to your friends.
UPDATE: 3rd April 2019
Gifting is back for a limited time in Fortnite, but Epic hasn't announced exactly how long for.
Here's the announcement:
Gifting is back for a limited time! Hop in and surprise a friend with a present.Fortnite (@FortniteGame) April 3, 2019
It's likely it'll stick around for either a couple of days, or until the end of the week.
Fortnite: Gifting Overview
Here's the lowdown on how the system works:
- Gifting will be available on all platforms, with the exception of iOS devices. This is because Apple itself does not support such a service.
- After the service launches it will only be available - initially - for around one week, so don't hang around if you want to give someone an early Christmas present.
- You will need to have Multi-factor authentication set up on your account if you want to take part in the gift system.
- You'll only be able to send gifts to someone you've been friends with for at least 48 hours, so make sure set your buddy list up well in advance.
- You can make a maximum of three gifts in any given 24 hour window.
- You cannot refund any items that are gifted.
- If it's not in the Item Shop at the time you want to make the gift, you won't be able to send it.
- If you'd rather not be inundated with lovely, lovely free stuff, you can disable the option to receive gifts in your account settings.
Fortnite: Gifting Walkthrough
Here are the steps you'll need to complete if you want to send a friend a gift in Fortnite:
- Go to the in-game Item Shop.
- Select the item you want to buy.
- Choose “Buy As A Gift” instead of “Purchase Item”.
- After selecting “Buy As A Gift”, select a friend and add a personal message if you wish.
- Complete the payment.
- When your friend next logs into the game, the item will be waiting for them in a gift box, ready to be unwrapped.