Our Fortnite: Battle Royale - Sniper Shootout guide to the new game mode contains all the tips, tricks, tactics and strategy advice you need to succeed.
Sniper Shootout is a limited-time new game mode that's tweaked the settings so that players can only find Sniper Rifles, Revolvers and every consumable with the exception of grenades.
It’s a game mode that’s stripped back the usual Fortnite: Battle Royale experience to one that truly rewards those players with superior accuracy. If you’re someone who enjoys landing silky headshots, or simply wants the opportunity to improve their skill in this aspect of the game, then this is most certainly the time to get stuck in.
Below we’ve got a complete guide to the duration of the Sniper Shootout event, what you need to do to access it, and what to keep in mind when you’re aiming for that victory royale.
Sniper Shootout Start and End Date
Here’s when you’ll be able to jump into this new game mode, and when it’ll go offline. We've no idea at this point whether it'll return in the future, or whether other special game modes will be cycled in throughout 2018.
- Start: 30th January 2018
- End: 2nd February 2018
What are the rules for Sniper Shootout?
Here’s a complete breakdown of how Sniper Shootout works.
- It’s the usual 100 person affair. You’ll still be able to harvest materials, the timer hasn’t changed and almost everything else about the game functions as normal.
- The only glaring difference here is the nature of the weapon spawns. Only Sniper Rifles and Revolvers will drop from chests or spawn in the environment.
- Every consumable will be active in this game mode too, with the notable exception of grenades. This is all about precision aiming, after all, not lobbing a bomb in the opponent's face!
To access this mode from the lobby, simply click on "Game Mode" in the bottom right-hand corner of the character/menu screen and select the ‘Sniper Shootout’ option.
Sniper Shootout: Tips and Tricks
Here are a few pointers to help you get to grips with this new game mode to hit Battle Royale.
Video by Dakotaz
- It’s important that you don’t forget the basics of the game. Make sure you’re still harvesting materials at every available opportunity, collecting meds and armour, fort building and communicating with teammates if you’re in a party. Check out our core Fortnite: Battle Royale guide for an extensive overview of how the game works.
- Keep an eye out for ammo crates as you definitely don’t want to run out of ammo in a sniper duel!
- It’s worth keeping two Revolvers and two Sniper Rifles on you, with one slot reserved for Meds or Shields. This way you can alternate between weapons to reduce reload speeds, and it gives you the option to hold both a semi-auto and bolt-action sniper for added variety.
- This may seem obvious, but always loot a weapon that’s of a higher rarity in this game mode. In the normal game types this isn’t as universally relevant, as you may prefer the feel of some weapons over others, even if they’re a little more powerful on paper. Your weapons are so limited in Sniper Shootout, however, that upgading is a no-brainer - a higher rarity is always better. Take a look at our guide to the best weapons in Fortnite: Battle Royale for more on this philosophy.
- Accuracy is king. Focus on landing your shots here, as every weapon in this game mode is pretty unforgiving. It’s worth taking an extra second or so to line up a shot, instead of simply spamming bullets and hoping for the best.
- As everyone will be wielding a sniper weapons, it’s absolutely vital you try and avoid getting caught out in the open. Build a fort if you have to, skirt round edges to avoid line of sight, or follow the circle inwards as it constricts. Check out our base building guide for more thoughts on surviving longer out in the open.
- Sniper Rifles have bullet drop, so the more the bullet has to travel, the bigger the dip. If you see someone way off in the distance, make sure you raise your reticule above your target in order to account for this change in trajectory.