Our Fortnite: Battle Royale keybind and keyboard controls guide covers the controls for the game, and includes the best keybinding tips to optimise your playstyle.
We've experienced the frustration of hopping into a brand-new game and having absolutely no idea what half of the controls actually accomplish. A keyboard's also pretty complex, so it's often the case that many shortcuts are completely overlooked too. We wanted to create an easy to follow resource that you could learn all Fortnite's controls from, as well as some tips on what keys you may want to rebind for a smoother gameplay experience.
Fortnite: Battle Royale's a complex mixture of survival, shooter and builder. This means that there are quite a few controls to master when it comes to fighting enemies or creating defensive structures on the fly. Once you've got to grips with the fundamentals, rebinding certain keys to create your own control scheme and ingraining this into your muscle memory can take your game to the next level.
In the sections just below we've put together a handy guide that'll take you through the entire control scheme for PC players, before outlining some useful keybinds to help speed up those all-important processes. It's worth taking a look at our guide to quick building on top of this as well!
Editor's Note: It's worth quickly mentioning that the rebind schemes we've put together towards the bottom of this page are by no means definitive. See them as useful templates which you can modify to better suit your playstyle.
Default PC Controls
- Up, Down, Left, Right - WASD
- Cursor Mode - Left Alt/Right Alt
- Jump - Space Bar
- Fire - Left Mouse Button
- Aim Down Sight (ADS) - Right Mouse Button
- Reload - R
- Use - E
- Trap Equip/Picker - T
- Building Edit - G
- Repair/Upgrade - F
- Rotate Building - R
- Sprint - Left Shift
- Change Building Material - Right Mouse Button
- Reset Building Edit - Right Mouse Button
- Weapon Slots - 1, 2, 3, 4
- Ability Slots - 5, 6, 7
- Gadget Slots - 8, 9
- Building Slots - F1, F2, F3, F4
- Trap Slot - F5
- Switch Quickbar - Q
- Slot Up - Mouse Wheel Down
- Slot Down - Mouse Wheel Down
- Chat - Enter
- Quick Chat Message - B
- Place a Note - N
- Spot Target - Middle Mouse Button
- Selected Building Type - V
- Toggle Map - M
- Toggle Inventory - I
- Skip Cutscene - Space Bar
- Resurrect - Left Mouse Button
- Respawn - Right Mouse Button
- Crouch - Left Ctrl
- Push To Talk - Y
For a complete list of controls for every platform, make sure you check out our controls for PC, PS4 and Xbox One guide too!
PC Keybinding Tips
Here's how to rebind your keys and which controls you may want to consider rebinding.
How to rebind
- When you’re at the main menu, click the three strips in the top right corner.
- Select the cog, then click on the ‘Input’ tab.
- Now select whatever key you want to rebind by clicking on it, then press the key that you want it bound to.
More Fortnite: Battle Royale guides
- 1. Main Guide - Fortnite: Battle Royale guide
- 2. V-Bucks - Fortnite: BR - How to get V-Bucks for free
- 3. Best Settings - Fortnite: BR - Settings guide for best performance
- 4. System Requirements - Fortnite: BR - System requirements (PC and Mac)
- 5. Battlepass Guide - Fortnite: BR - Battle Pass guide
Building quickly under pressure is absolutely essential, and we’re not huge fans of all the building options that have been bound to the function keys by default. Instead, we’ve found it’s much better to rebind the most commonly-used ones to keys that are far closer to your fingertips.
For walls, ramps and flat platforms we’ve found these rebind options to be the best so far:
- Building option 1 (wall): Q or E
- Building option 2 (platforms): F or V
- Building option 3 (ramp): F or V
As an alternative, you could try this setup for building options:
- Building option 1 (wall): Z
- Building option 2 (platforms): X
- Building option 3 (ramp): C
The only issue we've had with this setup is the positioning of Z, X, and C just below your main movement keys. It can be physically difficult to press them while on the move as you'll have one set of fingers pressing WASD at the same time.
If you can get used to it though, this set of keybinds can be particularly effective as it's nice and straightforward to remember.
Finally, you can bind various building options to your mouse side buttons:
- Building option 1 (wall): Thumb Mouse Button 4
- Building option 2 (platforms): Thumb Mouse Button 2 or other key of your choosing.
- Building option 3 (ramp): Thumb Mouse Button 3
Using your mouse thumb buttons can be a little odd at first, but keep practicing and you'll get used to it. If you can master this, it's easily the fastest way to build as your fingers won't have to leave the comfort of your mouse at all!
For those of you who’ve got a mouse with side buttons, binding one of them to quick-swap to your pickaxe is immensely helpful. It just means that you won't have to press 1 everytime, which saves time and does away with the risk of fumbling your key presses.
Otherwise, depending on how stiff the click is, you could rebind it to your middle mouse button for an even quicker way to whip out your pickaxe.
If you're after some essential building tips, head over to our base building design tips and ideas page as it's a must for improving your game!