Our Fortnite how to rocket ride guide will teach you how to reliably rocket ride in the game, with tips for getting the timing just right.
Way back during Fortnite’s very first Halloween event, some enterprising players realised they could surf on rockets that were fired from the Pumpkin Launcher. Time your jump just right as one of your teammates fires a rocket, and you can glide across the map at a blistering pace.
Players enjoyed the mechanic so much during the Halloween event that they called on Epic to bring it back once the event came to an end. Now you can get up to the same rocket surfing antics using the standard version of the weapon and it can lead to some ridiculously amazing plays.
For those who’ve never attempted it before, or simply can’t get the hang of rocket-riding, we’ve put together a guide that’ll take you through the whole process. Once you’ve read through this page, you’ll be gliding across maps on explosive, rocket-propelled devices in no time!
Editor's Note: We've added in a section at the top which should help you pull off a rocket ride with the Guided Missile!
How to rocket ride: Guided Missile
Here's how to rocket ride using the Guided Missile.
With a partner
- Have one of your teammates position themselves nicely in a fairly open area that's not too close.
- Fire off the rocket, line it up and tell your friend to jump when the time's right.
- It may take a few tries, but you'll get there in the end.
Self rocket ride
- Set yourself up on an open platform.
- Fire the Guided Missile away from you and make sure it travels a little while before looping it back round on yourself.
- Line the missile up with your body and ensure you've got the trajectory right - keep it as flat as possible.
- When you're happy with missile's path, "detach" and do your best to hop on as it draws closer.
Video by Ninja
How to rocket ride: Rocket Launcher
Here’s how to secure that huge play.
- First and foremost, you’ll need a buddy. Queue up with someone in either Duos or Squads.
- Find a Rocket Launcher. There’s no easy way of doing this, so you’re just going to have to play the game naturally and seek out chests or kill enemies and hope to get lucky with the loot.
- Now decide where you want to rocket ride over to - it’s likely to be an enemy base of some kind.
- Find a piece of ground that’s relatively flat, or build a structure that’ll make things easier for you to take off from.
- The person who wants to rocket ride should stand and face the direction they want to go (Player 1).
- Player 2 should position themselves behind Player 1, facing in the same direction while aiming the Rocket Launcher at their waist.
- It’s then all about timing. This can take quite a few tries, so make sure you’ve stocked up on ammo.
- Player 1 needs to jump, and just as they reach peak height, Player 2 needs to fire the rocket.
- Just make sure you communicate with each other and you’ll be rocket riding in no time!
- 1. Season 10 guide - Fortnite: Season 10 guide
- 2. Best Settings - Fortnite: Best Settings (PC, PS4, Xbox)
- 3. Best Keybinds 2019 - Fortnite: Best Keybinds 2019
- 4. System Requirements - Fortnite: System Requirements (PC and Mac)
- 5. Land Faster - Fortnite: How to land faster
- 6. Champion Series - Fortnite: Champion Series guide (Schedule, Players, Fixtures and Results)
This video by CAPTAIN TJK contains a helpful illustration of how to rocket ride with the Rocket Launcher, so you should definitely give it a watch.
As a very quick point, make sure when you’re rocket-riding that you don’t career into a building or another structure. The rocket will explode and so will you! Hop off the rocket at the right time and you can drop into enemy bases and catch enemies completely off guard.
If you're interested in what weapons are currently the best in the game, make sure you check out our weapons tier list with stats!