Our Fortnite: Battle Royale How to land faster guide contains quick landing tips and tricks to help you achieve a faster start on the competition.
Get yourself nicely set up with a good start and you'll have a far better chance of bagging that Victory Royale. Trouble is, most players don't realise that an advantage can be gained the very second they start plummeting from the sky.
At first we had no idea why players were landing a good 10 seconds ahead of us when we were all aiming for the same location. Landing quickly is something that's never explained in Fortnite: Battle Royale, so it's effectively a hidden mechanic that won't be entirely obvious unless someone mentions how the parachute actually behaves once you close in on your target. Turns out it's absolutely crucial to giving yourself the best possible chance of grabbing a weapon first and fending off the opposition!
If you’re unsure how to land quickly in Battle Royale, we’ve put together a very simple guide which should definitely get you hitting the ground much faster.
Make sure you visit our core Fortnite: Battle Royale Guide hub when you're done here. It contains everything you need to know about the game, including tips and tactics to help you on your way to more Victory Royales.
Video by Simonb1471
How to get a quick landing
Here’s how to land faster and get the loot before everyone else.
- Choose the location you want to drop in, but whatever you do don't jump from the bus directly above it!
- Instead, you'll need to do some forward planning and dive bomb into an area that's fairly close by, so you can glide into your chosen location. What's absolutely essential if you want a quick landing is that you avoid any hills, mounds or elevated terrain, as this'll cause your parachute to deploy much earlier than you'd like.
- The game automatically deploys your parachute once it detects that you're close to hitting solid ground, so ideally you want to aim for patches of land that are at as low an altitude as possible.
- The plan here is to deploy your parachute so you’re initially close to the ground, and then glide towards your destination, as opposed to floating slowing downwards over your target.
- You’ll get better at judging how far away you need to jump off the Battle Bus initially in order to get to various locations around the map, but keep practicing and you’ll get the hang of it.
- So in summary: Pick a location, jump off and dive bomb into an area nearby that's at a low altitude, and glide into your destination. That'll help you get off to the kind of quick landing that keeps you ahead of the pack - and looting first.
Some things which need clearing up.
- Different Gliders don't make you drop faster.
- Umbrellas do not give you any advantages. They function just the same as normal Gliders.
- You cannot upgrade Gliders.
- Dropping straight over your target and holding down forwards isn't faster - it's actually far slower.