This Fortnite: Battle Royale article explains how to drop weapons and other items on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.
No laughing at the back. Even if you're very new to Fortnite: Battle Royale you've probably grasped the basic principles of the game: survive, scour the map for loot, equip loot, win. Well, that's the theory at least, although keep in mind that you can gain a major advantage on that last front by studying our Fortnite: Battle Royale guide.
Anyway, let's say you've managed to stay alive and have just found a deliciously deadly new gun to your arsenal, how do you drop your current weapons to make way for the fresh crop? Depending on your platform of choice, it's actually very simple. Here are the commands you need for ditching that old junk so you can start tearing up the competition, whatever platform you're playing the game on.
How to drop weapons and items on PC
You have two options for dropping weapons and items in Fortnite: Battle Royale if you're playing on PC:
- 1. Access the Inventory by pressing I, select the item that you want to discard, then simply tap X on your keyboard. This will get rid of the item, although note that you can also hit the Drop button to the bottom-right of the screen. This takes longer though, and that's usually a bad thing in Battle Royale...
- 2. This is a slightly faster method than the above, and so comes highly recommended. Simply left-click with your mouse on the item you want to discard, and then swipe it across to the centre of the screen. Anything you can do more efficiently in the game is an advantage by default, and so we recommend you drop weapons and items this way when playing Battle Royale on PC.
- 1. Season 10 guide - Fortnite: Season 10 guide
- 2. Best Settings - Fortnite: Best Settings (PC, PS4, Xbox)
- 3. Best Keybinds 2019 - Fortnite: Best Keybinds 2019
- 4. System Requirements - Fortnite: System Requirements (PC and Mac)
- 5. Land Faster - Fortnite: How to land faster
- 6. Champion Series - Fortnite: Champion Series guide (Schedule, Players, Fixtures and Results)
How to drop weapons and items on console (PS4, Xbox One)
Before you go, it's worth mentioning the importance of making the general control scheme second nature as you play. Every second counts when it comes to survival, after all, and our PC, PS4 and Xbox One Controls guide contains all the information you need.
If you're playing on PC, you can significantly improve your odds of winning by refining the keybinds you're using on the battlefield. For further advice on tweaking these and gaining the upper hand, have a look through our Fortnite: Battele Royale - Keybind and Keyboard Controls page. Do yourself a favour and make those changes before heading into your next match - you'll be glad you did...