Our Fortnite: Battle Royale best graphics settings guide contains all the optimal video setting changes that will give you the best performance in game.
If you’ve loaded up Fortnite: Battle Royale without tinkering with any of the in-game settings, we really don't blame you. For many, heading into the graphics options is seen as a needless inconvenience, especially when the game automatically optimises everything for you anyway.
Even if things are running well on your system though, Fortnite’s a competitive game that benefits enormously from making a few graphical changes. Having a higher frame rate and enjoying a buttery smooth experience is going to increase your chances of bagging those Victory Royales. Regardless of your gaming rig, everyone can benefit from making these tweaks.
In the sections below we’ve put together a guide that’ll take you through all the best graphics settings for Fortnite: Battle Royale on PC, so you can achieve a much smoother gameplay experience and get the competitive edge over your enemies.
It’s worth noting that this guide applies to those who own PCs that are within the minimum and recommended system requirements for Fortnite: Battle Royale. Make sure you read through our system requirements page for all the details on what's needed to run the game.
Do also make sure your Graphics Card drivers are completely up to date, as well as your version of Windows. Just doing this alone can drastically improve the way Fortnite: Battle Royale runs (not to mention every other application as well).
Make sure you visit our core Fortnite: Battle Royale Guide hub when you're done here. It contains everything you need to know about the game, including tips and tactics to help you on your way to more Victory Royales.
Best Graphics Settings
Here’s what settings you’ll need to tweak in order to get the best possible performance from Fortnite: Battle Royale.
Getting to Game Settings
First, you’ll need to navigate to the “Game Settings” menu:
- Once you’ve logged into the game and selected the Battle Royale mode, you’ll find yourself at the main lobby.
- At the top right of your screen you will see a stack of three lines. Click this and it’ll bring up another menu.
- Select the cog symbol and you’ll be brought into the “Game Settings” menu.
- It’s from here that you’ll do all your tinkering.
- 1. Season 10 guide - Fortnite: Season 10 guide
- 2. Best Settings - Fortnite: Best Settings (PC, PS4, Xbox)
- 3. Best Keybinds 2019 - Fortnite: Best Keybinds 2019
- 4. System Requirements - Fortnite: System Requirements (PC and Mac)
- 5. Land Faster - Fortnite: How to land faster
- 6. Champion Series - Fortnite: Champion Series guide (Schedule, Players, Fixtures and Results)
Graphics Settings Changes
A list of simple tweaks that’ll help boost your FPS.
- Window Mode - Fullscreen.
- Display Resolution - Set this to your native screen resolution.
- Frame Rate Limit - Unlimited.
- 3D Resolution -Set this to your monitor’s native resolution.
- View Distance - This isn’t as important a setting as you might at first believe, as character models will still render at long distances even if you’ve set this option to low. We recommend setting this to Medium or above.
- Shadows - Turn this off completely or set it to the lowest possible setting. Shadows tend to tank performance for very little benefit.
- Anti-Aliasing - We recommend going for Medium or above depending on how powerful your rig is.
- Textures - We’d recommend setting this to Medium or above. If you’re struggling for FPS, tone it down.
- Effects - Turn these to Low.
- Post Processing - Again, it’s best to set this to Low.
- Vsync - We recommend turning this off.
- Motion Blur - Turn this off as it can really affect visibility.
- Show Grass - Switch this off as it’ll help you spot enemies easier, and it’ll be less intensive on your system.
- Show FPS - Turn this on if you want to track performance. It’s worth doing just to see how well your PC runs the game before or after any changes.
- Make sure you click Apply!
Video by Kumo99
For an in depth look at the optimal settings for PC, PS4 and Xbox One, make sure you check out our best settings guide!
That’s all we have for now, but we’ll continue to update this guide as the game develops over time. Stay tuned for all the latest updates!