Destiny’s mobile Companion app will be updated with new features on August 23rd, ensuring that it’s ready for Destiny 2’s release.
Bungie’s community manager, “DeeJ”, confirmed the news in an official blog post and outlined exactly how the Destiny Companion would be evolving.
Here’s a breakdown of every new feature being introduced.
New to Destiny 2:
EXPLORE - All about what’s happening in the world of Destiny:
- Stay up to date with the latest news and updates.
- Discover new events and activities.
- See the latest amazing creations from our community.
- Find community and help with forums and groups.
CLANS - Stay connected with your teammates wherever you are:
- Create or join a Clan and invite others to join you.
- Manage your Clan roster and see who is playing.
- Create a shared identity with a unique banner.
- Track your Clan progression and shared rewards.
- Communicate with your teammates through Clan text chat.
Many features are returning from the original version of the Companion app too.
Returning from Destiny 1:
GEAR - Manage all your weapons, armour and inventory:
- Inspect all your favourite weapons and armour.
- View item stats, perks and inventory configuration.
- Manage and equip items on your characters.
RECRUIT - Search for other players looking for Fireteams for any activity:
- Search an available list of requests and choose a team to join.
- Create a new Fireteam, approve/deny requests, and communicate with your teammates.
YOUR PROFILE -Manage your experience with account information and settings:
- Configure your identity and what others can see/know about you.
- Choose your notification and communication preferences.
- Communicate and interact with friends and new Guardians.
- Redeem Bungie codes and view your redemption history.
SUPPORT - Talk to your Mentors and Player Support Specialists:
- Report issues that keep you out of the game.
- Read articles with answers to common questions.
- Talk to other Guardians who are there to help you.
In order to get these changes, you’ll have to go ahead and update your Destiny Companion app. Do note that this will overwrite the Destiny 1 version of the app, and the Destiny 2 services won’t be online until after the launch of the game on September 6th, 2017.
If you want to manage your gear having updated the app, you’ll have to rely on community tools like Destiny’s Item Manager for the time being.
Finally, DeeJ confirmed that we can expect “some new details” on Destiny 2 at Gamescom 2017 next week. We’ll of course make sure to update the site with all the latest, so make sure you keep us bookmarked for more!