In our Warlock Dawnblade guide, you'll find all of the subclass's abilities, passive abilities, grenades, rifts and other upgrades.
Warlocks are the hybrid spellcaster specialists of Destiny 2, combining their awesome magical powers with plenty of modern weaponry to eviscerate their opponents. Like all heroes, they have a total of three subclasses that they can choose to specialise in.
Destiny 2 introduces the new Dawnblade subclass for this hero, and it's designed for those who wish to harness the power of fire in order to immolate their enemies, or simply cleave through foes with a flaming sword while gliding through the air like a phoenix. This is the Warlock's Solar-focused subclass in the sequel, and it replaces the first game's Sunsinger specialisation.
Below you’ll find everything you need to know about the Warlock Dawnblade, including a list of skills and abilities. We've also got loads of gameplay tips for you as well.
When you're done reading up on the Dawnblade, be sure to take a look through our Destiny 2: Subclass guide for the lowdown on the other subclasses that will be coming with the long-awaited sequel. We've also got a massive amount of information about the game for you over at our core Destiny 2 guide - have fun!
Editor's Update #6: Just below we've put together a very quick point which highlights the Attunement of Flame's strength in PVE scenarios. We'll continue updating this guide as more information comes our way, so keep this page bookmarked for more very soon!
Why Attunement of Flame is fantastic for PVE
There's three perks on Attunement of Flame's skill tree that make it perfect for destroying enemies in PVE.
- Phoenix Dive - Descend, slam sword into the ground, explode.
- Everlasting Fire - Killing an enemy extends the duration of your Super.
- Fated For The Flame - Every sword slash splits into projectiles that seek out targets.
All of these perks combine to the point where you can face off against a horde of enemies and have the tools to keep your Super active for a ridiculously long time. This makes it perfect for activities like Strikes and the Raid where you're needing to clear an area of opponents.
The Bugler's produced an excellent video which goes in depth on The Dawnblade, but you'll want to skip to around 7:34 to see the Attunement of Flame's true potential - trust us, it's insane.
Tips and tricks
Here’s a brief overview containing some of our biggest takeaways having played countless hours of Dawnblade in both PVP and PVE.
- If you’re being chased by an opponent, it can be a good idea to activate your Glide ability when rounding a corner and floating in the air as your enemy catches up to you. This way they simply won’t expect it and you’ve got a small windows to turn the tables.
- Daybreak doesn’t give you a massive boost or armour buff, so avoid activating it when you’re in the middle of a firefight. Use it when you’re behind some cover and then dash out afterwards. This ensures that you’re not going to be taken down before you’ve even started throwing some fire around and smited foes from above.
- We’re fans of the healing rift as opposed to the empowering equivalent. It’s far more versatile and fits almost any situation whether you’re in PVP or PVE. We find it particularly handy when you need to hold an objective, i.e when you’re waiting for Ghost to scan or hack something. Pop it down and you’re guaranteed to survive an onslaught.
- To completely demolish boss and mini-boss health bars, we always equip Vortex grenades. The continuous, reliable damage output - no other explosive compares in our opinion.
- When you’re heading into PVP, always equip the Daybreak attunement that allows you to dodge while in midair. This gives you far better maneuverability, and in turn, survivability.
- In PVE encounters such as Strikes for example, don’t pop Daybreak while you’re stationary on the ground. We’re guilty of getting too excited and activating our Super as soon as we get the chance. It’s vital that you get some air by double jumping before activating your Super, as it means you’ll be able to land all of your shots and gain a good vantage point of the battlefield.
- Take into account the “bullet drop” when you’re raining fire down on enemies with Daybreak. We also don’t recommend going for super long distance shots as you’re likely to miss and waste precious charge. Instead, close the distance somewhat before going for those firey hits!
Super Ability: Daybreak
- Press L1+R1 to weave Solar light into blades and smite your foes from the skies.
Make sure you check out our Super guide for more tips and tricks on how to master the Warlock Dawnblade's Daybreak ability.
Attunement of Sky
- Heat Rises: Airborne kills recharge your Grenade and Melee energy. Casting Daybreak instantly refills all your ability energy.
- Winged Sun: Engage your enemies mid-flight. Fire weapons and throw grenades while gliding.
- Swift Strike: Strike an enemy with this Melee Ability to burn your target and temporarily increase your movement and reload speed.
- Icarus Dash: Press [circle] [circle] while mid air to dodge.
Attunement of Flame
- Igniting Touch: Strike an enemy with this melee ability to burn them and cause them to explode when killed.
- Phoenix Dive: Hold [circle] while mid air to quickly descend and restore your health. While Daybreak is active, Descend causes explosive damage.
- Everlasting Fire: Killing an enemy with Daybreak extends its duration.
- Fated For The Flame: Daybreak projectiles seek targets as they travel and, upon impact, launch a streak of deadly flames.
- Solar Grenade: A grenade that creates a flare of Solar Light which continually damages enemies trapped inside.
- Firebolt Grenade: A grenade that unleashes bolts of Solar Light at nearby enemies.
- Fusion Grenade: An explosive grenade that causes bonus damage when attached to its target.
Destiny 2: Subclass guides
There are two types of Rifts - special AOE auras that benefit you and your allies - associated with the Warlock class. Here's how each one works:
- Healing Rift: Press and hold circle to conjure a well of Light that continuously heals those inside it.
- Empowering Rift: Press and hold circle to conjure a well of Light that increases the attack power of those inside it.
- Controlled Glide: Glide jump ability provides better directional control while in the air.
- Focused Burst: Glide jump ability provides an initial boost of speed.
- Balanced Glide: Glide jump ability provides bonuses to both speed and control.
Our most popular Destiny 2 guides:
Warlock Dawnblade PVP
Here's some footage of the Warlock Dawnblade in PVP, which shows how powerful its fiery, insta-killing Super Ability can actually be when used correctly.