Our Destiny 2: Iron Banner guide contains everything you need to know about this Crucible PVP mode, including it’s release date, armour, weapons and how to access it.
In Destiny 1, Guardians could compete in a limited-time Crucible event with level advantages enabled. This meant that weapons with higher Light levels could deal more damage and armour could soak up more too. Lord Saladin and Lady Efrideet would encourage players to battle in the Iron Banner and promised the victorious unique shaders, emblems and high-end weapons and armour.
Lord Saladin’s arrived in the Tower once again in Destiny 2, with promises of powerful loot and some stunning armour pieces. This time around, Iron Banner’s received quite a few changes which make it far more accessible so almost every Guardian can get stuck in. Below we’ve put together a complete guide that’ll take you through all of the most important information so you know exactly how Destiny 2’s Iron Banner works.
Editor’s UPDATE #4: Season 2’s final Iron Banner event kicks off very soon and we’ve updated the start and end times so you can get involved as soon as Lord Saladin arrives in the Tower. We've also slotted in images of the brand new cosmetic items, weapons and armour sets you'll be able to get your hands on too. If there are any surprises in store, we’ll make sure to update this guide with everything you need, so keep this page bookmarked for all the latest!
(If you want to be the best at every area of the game, don't forget to bookmark our PVP, Campaign walkthrough and Subclass guide pages - they've got everything you need if you want to get more out of Destiny 2, and will be continuously updated in the weeks ahead.)
Iron Banner: Start and End Times
Here’s when Iron Banner begins and ends in your region.
- Begins: Tuesday January 30th, 2018 - 8AM PT/ 11AM EST /5PM BST
- Ends: Tuesday February 6th, 2017 - 8AM PT/ 11AM EST /5PM BST
Iron Banner: Overview
How to access it
Below you’ll find out how to get involved in the Iron Banner event, including what requirements you’ll have to meet and how to get matches under way.
- You must have completed the Destiny 2 campaign and reached Power Level 20.
- Visit Lord Saladin in the Tower to begin the Iron Banner Quest.
- Go into your Director, select Crucible and choose the Iron Banner playlist.
How does it work?
We’ve broken down exactly how this new Iron Banner event will work.
- Combat will take place between two teams of four players.
- The game mode is Control
- Power Levels will not be taken into account.
- You will earn Iron Banner Tokens in every match. You’ll earn more for winning.
- You can hand in Iron Banner Tokens to Lord Saladin to build reputation. Once you level up your reputation, you will receive an Iron Banner Engram.
- You can purchase Iron Banner rewards from Lord Saladin using Tokens and Legendary Shards too.
- There is no limit to the number of Iron Banner Tokens and Engrams you can earn.
- Daily and Season Milestones will track your progress.
Iron Banner: Rewards
An Iron Banner themed Sparrow, Ghost , Ship and Emblem will be up for grabs this time and we've linked images to those that have been revealed so far.
We know that Bungie is keeping the Iron Banner ship under wraps for now so you'll have to earn it in game to find out how snazzy it looks.
In a neat touch, the brand new emblem also tracks how many lifetime rank ups for Iron Banner you've earned in Destiny 2 so you can show off your PVP prowess to other Guardians.
The first image we've posted down below shows the original Iron Banner armour sets you're able to earn from cracking open Engrams or purchasing them directly from Lord Saladin with Tokens and Legendary Shards.
Starting from left to right: Titan, Hunter and Warlock.
Season 2's offerings come in the form of ornaments for the original set. Completing Iron Banner challenges will unlock special variants for each of Season 1's gear. Check out the full ornament sets below.
Starting from left to right: Titan, Warlock and Hunter.
Below we've embedded a gallery showcasing each unique weapon.
That’s all we have on the Iron Banner event for now, but we’ll continue updating this page over time when we get some more hands on time with it. Stay tuned for more very soon!