Our Destiny 2: Forsaken guide contains everything you need to know about Destiny 2’s huge fall expansion including details on the release date, price, Annual Pass, new Raid and Gambit.
It’s no secret that Destiny 2’s been through the ringer as of late, with Bungie scrambling to jam in content that the community actually wants into a game that essentially ignored its fan base since the highly disappointing Curse of Osiris DLC prompted some serious backlash.
If Destiny 2’s second DLC Warmind felt like the game was finally turning a corner, Forsaken’s shaking off all the baggage and kicking it to the curb. Bungie’s promised that this new expansion will be giving players what they’ve been asking for with the developers saying, “All the feedback we’ve heard the past year, it’s in Forsaken”.
There’s a lot to digest and we’ve put together a guide that’ll take you through all the new content that’s coming with Forsaken, including the all important release date as well.
So without further ado, let’s dive into what’s arriving with Destiny 2’s fall expansion!
UPDATE: We've updated this guide with a new section that delves into the details of a brand new interview on Forsaken. You'll find a roundup of all the new info just below!
Forsaken: Release Date and Pre-Order Details
When will Forsaken be released?
Forsaken will arrive on 4th September 2018 on PS4, Xbox One and PC.
There’s no pre-load date just yet, but we’ll keep you posted on when you’ll be able to download the content early so you can get stuck in on release day.
Can I pre-order Forsaken?
You can pre-order Forsaken right now on all platforms, in either a Standard, Annual Pass or Digital Deluxe version. Word of warning though, you’ll need to own Destiny 2 and Expansion 1 and 2 as these are not included!
First things first, if you pre-order any version you’ll receive some special items:
- Ace of Spaces Last Hand Exotic Ornament
- Queen of Hearts Exotic Ship
- Standoff Exotic Emote
- Shades of Cayde-6 Armour Shaders
The Forsaken Standard Edition pre-order costs £34.99 or $40.00 and includes the expansion along with the bonus pre-order items listed above.
The Forsaken Annual Pass Edition costs £59.99 or $69.99 and includes the expansion, pre-order bonus items and three premium content releases (anticipated in Winter 2018, Spring 2019 and Summer 2019).
Finally, the Forsaken Digital Deluxe Edition costs £69.99 or $79.99 and includes the expansion, pre-order bonus items, the Annual Pass and a few extras. You’ll get The Awoken Legend Set which contains a Wrath Majestic Legendary Bow Ornament, Dirge Paladin Emblem and a Vestian Ghost Shell. On top of this you’ll also get a Forsaken Theme if you’re on PS4.
What’s in the Annual Pass?
The Annual Pass gives you access to three content drops that’ll arrive trickle in over time.
You’ll gain access to three DLCs: Black Armory (Winter), Joker’s Wild (Spring 2019) and Penumbra (Summer 2019).
Forsaken: Interview Roundup *NEW*
More juicy details have been revealed for Destiny's upcoming expansion in GamesRadar's interview with Bungie.
Below we've summarised many of the key points that Planet Destiny put together based on the initial interview. It's all extremely exciting and we hope it marks a real turning point for the game.
- Cayde-6 is being killed off - yes that's right. It's essentially Bungie's way of setting the darker tone of the DLC and initiating a tale of revenge too. We'll be setting out to avenge his death throughout Forsaken and it'll be our main motive when taking out bosses and completing missions.
- We'll be able to progress through Forsaken's story in a non-linear fashion. You'll be able to pick and choose which Baron you want to go after and how you want to go about it.
- The Dreaming City is home to the Raid, so players shouldn't expect a completely linear experience when working through the challenge. The Raid itself wil trickle out onto the island around the Raid, meaning that we'll be able to explore the Awoken homeland as well as potentially participate in additional single player or group activities too.
- Daily Heroic Story missions are on the way, as well as other daily challenges.
- There are four new Strikes in Forsaken, with one of them being a Sony exclusive.
- There are nine new Supers.
- Year One gear will keep the same perks, but will be infusable. You can bring them up to the Power cap if you want, however, and they'll likely be reassigned to different slots when you login on the day.
- Void Hunters will be able to see through walls with a special ability!
Forsaken: Initial Reveal Breakdown
What new content will be introduced with Forsaken?
There are two new in-game destinations, a new game mode called Gambit and a brand new campaign to sink your teeth into.
Below we've broken down all the key details for you in easy to read sections.
- This DLC will have a grittier, darker tone with the developers describing this DLC as having a “Western revenge vibe”.
- The story will involve heading back to The Reef and chasing down escapees from the Prison of Elders.
- The Reef’s new location is entitled the Tangled Shore and you’ll be fending off Cabal, Fallen, Vex, Taken and a brand new faction called the Scorn.
- There's a total of eight Barons who you'll be hunting down in the new DLC, which essentially means eight new and exciting boss fights to take part in!
- The restrictive weapon system has been lifted. You can now use whatever weapon combinations you want, three shotguns? Sure!
- Random rolls are returning for Legendary weapons. Mods and Masterworks will also be tweaked to further increase your customisation options.
- You’ll be able to catalogue everything you earn in the game. There’ll be more Vault Space, in-game Triumphs and Lore Sections too.
- There are new Supers for all of the Subclasses. Firey Knives for the Hunter Gunslinger, a firey hammer for the Titan Sunbreaker, a dive bomb for the Titan Striker, super powerful teleports for the Warlock Voidwalker, a twirly deflective Hunter Arcstrider move and an Arc beam maneuver for the Warlock Stormcaller. We expect to see more for the others too!
- There will be some mixing and matching between Subclass perks. Footage shows the Stormcaller Warlock using the Voidcaller's Devour skill.
- Bows and Arrows are the new weapon type coming with Forsaken. They come in short, mid and long range variants and look super powerful.
- It goes without saying that there will be all new Legendary and Exotic gear to collect!
- Bungie says that it ultimately wants to bring back Destiny as a "hobby". It wants there to be enough depth in the game for players to keep on coming back week on week.
Gambit PVE/PVP Mode
- There’s a brand new game mode called Gambit. It’s a mixture of both PVE and PVP where two teams fight enemies in separate arenas, earn tokens to power up a machine which’ll spawn blockers on the opposing side. Once one side has deposited enough crests, it’ll summon a boss called a Primevil. The side that destroys this boss first wins that round. You can also invade other teams and cause havoc too!
The Dreaming City Raid
- There’s a new Raid called The Dreaming City where you’ll be visiting the homeland of the Awoken faction.
- It’s said to be filled with all sorts of hidden pathways, secrets and tonnes of bosses.
- The developers have described it as like "If The Vault of Glass and the Dreadnought had a baby, but if they were twins, and you took those twins and put them on the doorstep of Peter Jackson, and he raised them as his own".
- The terms, "Magical", "Weird" and "Mysterious" have also been used to summarise The Dreaming City.
- Raiders will actually affect The Dreaming City itself, and it'll change dynamically as time goes by. The Dreaming City that we'll see at launch will be different to that of The Dreaming City we'll see two or three weeks later. New secrets will open, passageways will suddenly come to light and we expect some exciting new encounters too.
Forsaken Reveal Impressions
Datto's produced an excellent video on his initial impressions on Bungie's Forsaken reveal. It goes in-depth on all the new features and it's well worth a watch for those of you invested in the Destiny universe.
Do make sure to give the video a thumbs up and consider subscribing to Datto's channel as he produces some great Destiny 2 content!
Bungie's due to showcase more of Forsaken’s story and it’s new PVE/PVP mode Gambit at E3 next week. We’ll be sure to update this page with all the latest so keep it bookmarked!