Here’s our rundown of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s latest updates and patch notes.
Since Call of Duty: Modern Warfare came out, the dev team have worked to keep it updated. On this page, we’ll keep you in the know on the game’s latest additions and changes.
February 2020 Updates
Those are the best bits, but we’ve added the full patch notes below for your convenience. Full patch notes were posted on Infinity Ward's website.
It's worth mentioning that a lot of the Modern Warfare community have noticed inaccuracies with these latest patch notes. Check out XclusiveAce's video on the matter for more information.
February 25th 2020
New maps, game modes, and fixes are here in the latest significant patch. Here's the full notes:
- New map - Bazaar
- Added Shoot House to an existing playlist with Shipment and Rust 24/7 ("Dirty Old House Boat")
- 3v3 Snipers on Rust!
- Giant Infection!
- "Boots on the Ground War" - Realism rules. No tanks.
- Fix for a bug where friends who are online in Social Tab were not always appearing at the top of the list
- Various map exploit fixes
- Fix for some players seeing an incorrect Career Level
- More fixes to Regiment tags
- Fix for some players encountering an issue where their mouse stopped working after the last title update
- Fixed a bug in 3v3 Gunfight that allowed players to shoot through the center structure on King while using the AX-50
- Fixed an error that could occur when Hardline was earned in Specialist
- Quality of life backend fixes to help the Regiments and Social menus run smoother
- Fix for a spawn exploit on Vacant
- Fix for White Phosphorous killing all players instantly when in Realism modes
- Trials - fix for the score at the end of "Fire in the Hole" not tallying up properly
- Fixed a bug for the “Kills with Enemy Weapon” Karma challenge not tracking properly
- Fixed Daily Challenges that require you to get an X number of kills with an enemy weapon
- Fix for an objective when completing Golem’s Operator Mission that requested 5 Kills with lethal equipment but was tracking with killstreaks.
- “Alliance” Objective 6: Complete any 4 Co-Op Operations has been fixed
- “Alliance” Objective 2: Requires 50 Juggernaut kills with Otter as your Coalition Operator. This has been fixed
- Fixed a bug where weapons stopped showing level progress 1 level before their max rank, giving the appearance that they are no longer gaining XP
- Striker 45: Fixing range and ADS speed to match the description of the 300mm Poly Barrel
- Model 680: Slight range increase
- Model 680 XRK 30.0 Sport: range increase
- Slight Range decrease and ADS increase to the following:
- Model 680 – XRK 18.0” Liberator
- R9-0 Force TAC Sentry
- Origin 12 Forge TAC Precision
- Under Barrel Shotguns: increased pellet count, reduced rate of fire, increased shell count to 8, tuned autoswap after ammo is complete, range increase
- Crossbow: Increased reload speed
- Fixed a bug where the Akimbo Snakeshot .357s did not register damage for both guns when fired on the same frame
- Reduced recoil to the SA87 12.4 Factory Barrel
- Increased close and mid-range damage for the AK 5.45x39mm round mags
Special Operations fixes
- Piccadilly: Fix for a bug where helicopters could clip through buildings
- Adjusted Cluster Strike damage towards enemy helicopters
- Fix for a bug where destroying the enemy helicopter/pilot was not awarding money as intended
- Operation Crosswind: Fix for a bug that could prevent players from using the Cruise Missile while having the Thermite Launcher equipped
- Operation Crosswind: Fixed an issue where the Juggernauts outside the airport might not pursue players after breaking stealth
- Operation Crosswind: Fixed a bug where a player would have infinite ammo and standard weapons if jumping out of the plane with the Juggernaut suit
Call of Duty League fixes
- When CDL Rules are enabled, the Restrictions warning icon will be displayed next to the buttons that contain CDL banned items, even if they are in sub menus. This should make it easier for players to know what parts of their loadouts need to be replaced in order to follow CDL Rules.
- Domination: Round timer set to 5 minutes (previously 6)
- Search and Destroy: Round timer set to 1 minute 30 seconds (from 2 minutes)
- Restricted Thermite, Throwing Knives, and Killstreaks to CDL playlist
December 2019 Updates
Modern Warfare Season 1 is here, along with a whole load of new content, including guns, operators and a Battle Pass.
You can find more info on Season 1 in our Modern Warfare Season 1 guide page, but we’ve added the info you’re after below.
Unfortunately, Gun Game has been removed from rotation, as well as the opportunity to play Shoot House 24/7, but rest assured they’ll be back in the future. They’ve been replaced with Crash 24/7, the classic COD4 map, and Reinforce, a mode in which you must capture points to revive teammates.
Those are the best bits, but we’ve added the full patch notes below for your convenience. Full patch notes were posted on Reddit.
December 18th 2019
This time around, Modern Warfare's developers uploaded a video to explain the upcoming refresh of Season 1.
Multiplayer maps from previous games are being added to Modern Warfare, with Shipment and Vacant joining the map pool. We'll also be seeing brand new maps for the popular 2v2 Gunfight mode. Over Winter and Shipment can be played in this mode, and new Special Ops are going to become available. Hopefully, the Limited Time Modes brought about in the update are as good as Gun Game, but only time will tell.
You can see below the official video trailer for this new content.
December 11th 2019
- Fix for the R9-0 Smoothebore not appearing correctly in-game
- Fix for the “Smooth Dominator” not appearing correctly in-game
- Fix for the “Heat Cycle” weapon not appearing correctly in-game
- Fix for a bug where equipping the “Old Wounds” LMG could cause an error, kicking players out of the menu
- Operator challenge descriptions have been updated to indicate that a specific Operator must be equipped in order to complete the challenge
- If you reached a new rank while in the middle of a match and perform the criteria to complete a challenge you just unlocked, progress would not show in the UI until you entered a new match. We’ve done some backend work to help improve this.
- Fix for Objective 2 of Mara’s Operator Mission showing a placeholder name ‘Desert Work’ for the reward
- Fix for Wyatt’s Calling Card appearing with the incorrect rarity
- Fix for the Cluster Strike’s missiles getting stuck on surfaces without detonating and playing looping audio the remainder of the match
- Fix for exploits in Special Operations: Survival
December 3rd 2019
- Crash 24/7
- Port added to Ground War
- Added Rammaza and Gun Runner to TDM 20 and DOM 20
- Added night maps to Hardcore TDM, Search and Destroy, Cyber Attack
- Gun Game (available in Private Match)
- Shoot House 24/7
- 2v2 Gunfight Tournament
- Tuning to how the Riot Shield protects against grenades when thrown at the players' feet
- Reduced explosive damage within certain ranges
- Fixed a bug where the final killcam would appear under the map when a player got stuck by Thermite or Semtex on the lower part of the body
- Fixed an issue where players stuck inside the Infantry Assault Vehicle would not take damage from Thermite
- Fix for a bug where attempting to scroll to the bottom of the Recent Players list could cause the list to read “No Recent Players” and return to the top
- Gunfight (private match): Fixes ‘Win by Two’ setting to end the game properly once the conditions have been met
Missions and Challenges:
The following are now fixed and have had their descriptions updated as needed
- “Close and Personal”
- “Perks of the Job”
- “Bloodthirsty Killer”
- “Destroy Ground Killstreaks” – All player-driven vehicles will count towards this launcher camo challenge
- “Get 50 kills while an enemy UAV is active” – description updated to reflect that the Ghost perk needs to be equipped in order to complete
- Combat Knife challenge descriptions updated
- .357 camo challenge
- Various updates to other camo challenges
- Fix for Officer Challenge completion notifications not appearing on screen
- Improved effectiveness of FMJ on Killstreaks
- Fix for the Cluster Strike dealing damage inconsistently when targeting a VTOL jet
- .357: Buckshot: reduced damage range, reduced effective hip fire damage. Tuned spread adjustments from barrel attachments
- Menu damage stat bar adjustments for miscellaneous LMGs
- Fixed a bug where the informant can be dropped in bad positions/near enemy soldiers in Operation Harbinger
- Added a checkpoint after the third hack on Operation Brimstone
- Fix for a bug where players could become stuck after going into last stand while breaching the trains on Operation Brimstone
- Enemies in white trucks now exit their vehicles
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
- Leaderboards will no longer display complete gamertags. This should help higher profile leaderboards users from receiving too many invites
- Fixed an issue where players would not be able to mantle while strafing with keyboard and mouse
- Increased the turn-rate when aiming with a tank
- Adjusted the camera orbit turn-rate while driving a vehicle using keyboard and mouse
- The keybind “Vehicle Camera Recenter” is now linked to Melee by default (default on E / Mouse 4) and the re-centering of the camera has been improved
- Improvements for the camera transitions with Free Camera and Aerial Camera
- Added a Killstreak view option when using the Portrait List
- Added arrows under the players when using the Aerial Camera view
- Added a skull icon on the Minimap where players die
Fixed an issue that forced shaders to be fully re-compiled after each title update. Shader installation should be expected mainly for new content, drivers update or changing the video card. New optimizations or bugfix that require modifying the shaders can also trigger part or the totality of the shaders to be re-compiled.
November 22nd 2019
- Special Operations: ‘Harbinger’ and ‘Brimstone’
- Classic Special Operations: ‘Door Kick’, 3 star rating system and rewards
- Multiplayer: Realism Moshpit (Domination, Hardpoint, Headquarters, Kill Confirmed), Gun Game
- Fix for a bug where a player could spawn without a character model when spawning in on a friendly vehicle
- Fixes for various exploits across all maps and modes
- Fix for an issue where copying an opposing players loadout was also copying their killstreaks
- Fix for the After-Action report not displaying newly acquired awards
- Fix for player rank icons not appearing on the scoreboard
- Shortened the amount of time an execution animation plays
- Accessibility: Added the option to Always Sprint
- Footsteps: Adjusted volume and sound type played for crouch walk and walking while Aiming Down Sights
- Dead Silence: Fix for the Dead Silence Field Upgrade not lasting the correct amount of time when CDL rules are enabled
- Fix for nameplates being visible in a certain location on Piccadilly
- Updates to the obituary (killfeed); removed “Avenged” and “Save Player”, play of the game owner, and player rank increases
- Fix for players being able to join a match even though they’ve been blocked
- Added the option to disable the spawn camera
- Fix for a bug where the ‘Starting Flags Captured’ private match option was not functioning as intended
- Fix for the bomb screen appearing blank when defusing or planting the bomb in Search and Destroy with Realism enabled. Added bomb carrier indicator.
- Fixed an issue where selected killstreaks would revert to the previous selection mid-match
- Fix where players using the Shield Turret killstreak could see through smoke at certain angles with the side panels of the turret
- Dead Silence: Fix for the Dead Silence Field Upgrade not lasting the correct amount of time when CDL rules are enabled
- Thermal scopes are now able to see through smoke grenades
- Added the option to disable the spawn camera
- Fixed an issue where the mount interaction prompt was disappearing when planting or diffusing the bomb in Search and Destroy
1 Life Mode Fixes
- Fix for camera getting stuck on the death location when transitioning to spectate
- Fix for the weapon not animating when sprinting at the beginning of the round
Infantry Assault Vehicle
- Reduced damage radius and lethality of the turret
- Cleaned up and updated descriptions for various challenges
- Officer Challenge: ‘Heads Up’
- ’Destroy Vehicles with Launchers’
- Officer Challenge: ‘Heads Up’
- ’Doing Work’
- ’Expert Gunsmith’
- ’One Trick Pony’
- Fix for Decoy Grenade showing a red blinking light for both allies and enemies
- Slightly brightened the player outline when using the Snapshot Grenade
- Fix for a bug that could cause an error when selecting a mission
- Spotter: perk was not marking equipment, Field Upgrades, or Killstreaks through walls in FFA. Fix for Spotter perk not marking UAVs and slightly brightened outlines
- E.O.D: Fix for players losing HUD elements after hacking an enemy claymore in certain scenarios
- Fix for the “Quick Fix” perk not giving faster regeneration when earning kills with the throwing knife
- Fix for the “Amped” perk not stowing the Riot Shield as quickly as it should
- Fix for rocket launcher camos not unlocking or tracking properly
- Fix for the Model 860 camos not unlocking or tracking properly
- FN SCAR 17: slight increase in ADS time, reduction to barrel and bipod grip penalties
- Fix for a white placeholder box appearing when leveling up a weapon and unlocking new attachments
- Added descriptions to all optics that have scope glint
- Fixed an issue where the P90 + FFS Ring Sight would create a scope glint
- Thermal scopes are now able to see through smoke grenades
- Fix for charms not appearing where they should on various weapons
- Fixed a bug where selecting ‘all’ would sometimes kick the player back to the main menu
- Added CTF and Hardpoint into Combat Records
Audio: Voice chat options
- No Effect - default voice chat. No additional effects or EQ adjustments
- Stealth Comms - bring the immersion of the Campaign into Multiplayer with added SAS radio effects to voice chat
- Classic Chatter - feeling nostalgic? Coordinate with your team using classic Modern Warfare radio effects
- Added munitions drops! After various objectives, a care package will drop to provide you with much needed munitions!
- Various exploit fixes
- Fix for an issue where players could lose functionality after using the EMP Drone in Operation Crosswind
- Fix for crashes that occur when viewing the scoreboard from the match summary
- Fix for enemies spawning out of bounds on Piccadilly
- Added an option to hide Friend requests and Party Invitations
- Added support for additional keyboard layouts on PS4
- Several fixes to prevent crashes and improve stability
- Fixed an issue where the boot up sequence volume would be too loud
- Various keybinding adjustments
- Players are now able to back out of the Gesture and Spray Wheel by clicking anywhere
- More fixes to prevent hitching/stuttering during cutscenes
- Fixed an issue where the Main Menu music would not play when users activated the Skip Introduction Movie option
- Fix for an error that could occur when attempting to manage a party
- Multiple fixes for different Aspect Ratios on various menus/screens in the game
- Fix for a bug where the XP Token shortcut key would also open Nvidia Highlights feature simultaneously (Now on “F” key)
- Fix for a bug where some achievements would appear as completed even though they were
November 12th 2019
More backend fixes to prevent crashes and improve stability across all modes and all platforms
- Fix for a bug where a player using the Riot Shield would not take explosive damage during certain situations
- Fixed an issue where the Riot Shield would stow on the players back when using Stim. (Tactical)
- Adjusted to always play walk footstep sounds when in ADS and crouch independent of speed
- Increased the speed in which you can remain using the walk footstep sounds by slightly pressing on the movement stick
- General fix for the UI and Challenge state getting out of sync. We'll continue to monitor and make additional fixes as needed in future updates
- Fix for a challenge related error that could occur; DEV ERROR 5476
- Fix for Mission Challenge description, “Get Kills with a Burst Weapon” being too vague
- Spawn tuning while playing TDM and Domination
- Domination flag adjustments; B Flag is now near the busses instead of the center fountain
- ARs: Minor hip spread adjustment
- 725: Reduce range
- M4: increase hip spread, decrease damage to the head
- FAL: Reduced recoil, increased ADS speed
- EBR-14: Increase ADS speed
- Miscellaneous ammo reserve adjustments upon spawning to be in-line with other weapons of their class
- Fix for a bug where a player using the Overkill perk with an SMG as their secondary would sometimes spawn without a primary weapon when joining a match in progress
November 8th 2019
New Modes and maps
We’ve added Krovnik Farmland to Ground War and Shoot House to Multiplayer!
New playlists and a new mode
Going live on Friday…
Hardpoint is now in rotation!
Shoot House 24/7! This includes a mixture of Team Deathmatch, Domination, Kill Confirmed, and Headquarters
And yes, all of this new content is available for everyone, for free, across all platforms! We’re so excited to share this new content with all of you and this is just the beginning. Thank you all for playing and keep the feedback coming!
- Backend fixes to prevent crashes and improve stability across all platforms, include dev errors, and various performance fixes.
- Fix for a few bugs where some streaks and Field Upgrades were able to be flown out of bounds without penalty. General out of bound fixes were also added.
- Fix for a bug where a player being killed by an enemy with a Variable Zoom Scope would not see the zoom function in the killcam
- Fix for the Semtex warning audio being heard at the same volume whether in a building or outside
- In Headquarters, players were able to place a Tac Insert and respawn when their team owned the point. This has been fixed.
- Fix for various collision issues across maps
- Added UI that shows when XP events are active in playlists menus
- Sprint and Tactical Sprint speeds are now back to speeds in Beta
- Fix for a bug where the progress of the bomb defusal can be seen by the team that planted the bomb
- Fix for a bug that revealed players to UAVs when they fired their weapons, even if they had Ghost and a silencer equipped
- Fixed an issue where if multiple Personal Radars were active on a team, and are both marking the same enemy, only one player would see the enemy on their minimap
Fixed an issue where the throwing knife and Thermite weren’t causing the shield to go on the player’s back when thrown. We’ve also fixed the issue where explosive splash damage wasn’t working consistently. We’ll continue to tune the Riot Shield in future updates.
Detonating an enemy claymore with bullets is now non-lethal when at full health. We’ve also reduced the trigger and damage radius and also reduced the damage width to better match the trigger width.
Removed the ability for enemies to hear when they’ve been called out by the opposing team. We also adjusted the enemy callouts so they are never from your Operator. Enemy callouts now use a more restricted cone at the hip and even more restricted in ADS when calculating whether or not to trigger. We’ll continue to monitor this and make additional tweaks to Battle Chatter in future updates.
Slight increase to recoil while mounting.
E.O.D. now clamps damage to a non-lethal amount, assuming the player is at full health
Continued updates to player visibility in dark windows and dark areas.
We’ve increased the occlusion percentage to filter footstep sounds behind geometry and adjusted the footstep volume at a distance. We have another large footstep change coming in the next update which will make crouch and ADS movement significantly quieter. Stay tuned!
Daily Challenges and Active Missions are getting a full sweep of testing and fixes. We’ll have more updates to these systems in future updates.
Fix for a bug where the Infiltrator challenge was not tracking properly
Fix for launchers not giving XP when shooting down killstreaks
Fix for a bug where planting or defusing 5 bombs in Cyber Attack or SnD was not tracking properly
Camo challenge for “Kills After a Reload” didn’t give the player enough time to acquire a kill, so time has been increased
Fix for a bug where your XP require to reach the next rank was higher than the value needed
- 725 Shotgun: Increase to ADS and Hip Spread, reduced damage range
- M4A1 Assault Rifle: Reduced damage range, small recoil increase
- Assault Rifles: Increased hip spread to reduce effectiveness up close, less damage at long range for full auto 5.56 rifles
- SMGs: Increased move speed, increased ADS move speed, small reduction in sprint out time
- UZI SMG: Increased damage range
- MG34 LMG: Increased hip spread, damage range reduction, small ADS slow down
- M91 LMG: Increased hip spread, small damage range reduction
- PKM: Increased hip spread, medium damage range reduction
- Pistols: Increased move speed, reduced sprint out time, increased damage range
- Crouch and Prone no longer adjust recoil
CALL OF DUTY LEAGUE:
Updated rulesets for CDL competitive modes in private match
Fix for a bug where a player could use lose their primary weapon and would be unable to see their viewmodel after being revived by a teammate
Fix for a bug where players would sometimes be unable to pick a spawn location
Fix for a bug where a Tac Insert could cause players to spawn on the enemy home base
- Pick up Intel! – In the Operations, explore Verdansk to find additional backstory information of Verdansk and the Operators.
- Fix for scoreboards displaying incorrect data
- XP adjustments and general backend fixes
- Various fixes for out of bounds and parachute exploits
- Respawn timer no longer stays on screen after teammates are revived from bleedout
- Fix for issue where the Munitions were not usable after respawning via Gunship
- Fix for losing your weapons when picking up the core
- Achievements can now be unlocked in CP
- Fix for issue where players could spawn with their weapons in the downed state
- Picked up Munitions no longer carry over from match to match. Only the Munitions you purchase with points will.
- When respawning via the Gunship, you will no longer be given the Tank role
- Selecting an Allegiance Operator or Allegiance as a favorite faction will now properly assign the voice of the correct operator
Operation Headhunter: Fix for a bug where players are not able to lock missiles onto the final boss helicopter
Operation Crosswind: Adjusted stealth for gameplay
Fix for a bug where there was no UI or indicator of where to go or how to finish the objective after defending the 3rd arms crate
Fix for a bug where the default weapon was different than the weapon a player would hold if they were placed in Last Stand
November 2nd 2019
- More fixes to prevent crashes and improve stability across all platforms
- Battlechatter has been removed from tactical, one-life modes
- APCs and Tanks in Ground War no longer award points towards a nuke
- Fix for charms affecting weapon performance when firing from the hip
- Claymores: Stun grenades can now force claymores into a disabled state for 3 seconds
- Footsteps: Adjustments to tame the 3rd person footsteps. They will now filter out based on occlusion more
- Fix to an issue where Tac Inserts could cause players to spawn out of bounds
- Fix for the gold camo not unlocking on the .357
- NVG Realism (TDM Only)
- Ground War
- Kill Confirmed
October 2019 Updates
Early updates to the game can be found below. At the moment, game modes are being activated, like Ground War and Free-For-All. As well as this, tweaks have been made to mechanics, including the Dead Silence Field Upgrade being made to function as intended. Here’s the official notes.
October 28th, 2019
- Fix for a Special Ops Achievement that was not unlocking after completing all missions
- 3rd person footsteps are now silent while the Dead Silence Field Upgrade is active
- Hardpoint: Adjustments to the hill rotations and locations on Arklov Peak, Azhir Cave, Hackney Yard, Rammaza, and St. Petrograd
October 27th, 2019
- Cyber Attack is now in the Quick Play Filter
- 10v10 TDM and 10v010 Dom now have their own option in the Quick Play Filter
October 26th, 2019
- Adding 64 player count Ground War on Quarry
- A fix for being unable to revive in HC Cyber Attack
- Defcon timer is now 45 seconds
October 25th, 2019
- Adding FFA
- Turning on Ground War
- Removing 10v10 Domination from Aniyah
- Title Update
- Backend fixes to help prevent against crashing across all platforms – if you experience a crash, please let us know
- Fix for a bug where players could earn more points when shooting specific vehicles while having Pointman equipped
- Improved ADS while using weapons without scopes on Xbox
- In some instances, some players were not able to complete the Highway mission due to an exfil bug
- Fix for the “Best of the Best” challenge not tracking progress
- Fix for the “Elite Sniper” challenge not displaying the correct description
- Fix for various camos not unlocking during progression
- Fix for the unlock criteria for the “Double Cross” reticle not progressing past 4
- Fix for the description and requirements needed to unlock some optic scopes in Gunsmith
- Fix for an exploit in Gunsmith when using mouse and keyboard
- Dev Error 6065: We’re currently working on a fix for this and appreciate your patience. Lowering your graphics settings can help in the meantime.
- Dev Error 6165: Players encountering this issue should try a ‘Scan and Repair’ through the Battle.net application. If this isn’t successful, a full reinstall might fix the issue.
- Unable to access graphics options: We're actively working on a fix for this, but removing the player folder in Documents -> Call of Duty: Modern Warfare might help resolve until a fix is deployed. If this doesn't work for you, please let us know.
- RTX not working: To be able to enable RTX, you'll need to have an RTX compatible card and Win10 1809 and above. Please make sure you update Windows and your video card drivers.
That’s all for our Patch Notes page - we’ll keep it updated as the game progresses! You can find more information on Infinity Ward's blog site. Check out our other Modern Warfare guides, including the best loadouts for beginners, as well as our in-depth tier list for the best guns.