Our Call of Duty Blackout guide contains everything we know so far about COD's Battle Royale mode, with details of the release date, weapons, maps and vehicles.
As if you didn't already have enough Battle Royale games in your life thanks to the rise of the behemoth Fortnite and its somewhat more serious contender PUBG, Call of Duty is now in for a piece of the action with the launch of its new Blackout mode.
Thanks to a recent beta, we now know that developer Treyarch is hoping to get one over on the competition by bringing Call of Duty's highly polished gameplay, Perks system and Specialists to the battle for gamer's attention on Twitch.
Some things remain unchanged, however, and so you'll still be facing off against dozens of other players to see who can ultimately emerge as the last soldier standing. You'll also be getting stuck into the competition on a map which pays homage to some of the greatest moments from Black Ops' illustrious history.
Call of Duty meets Fortnite turned out to be quite a lot of fun during the recent beta, and we can't wait to get stuck into the action when Black Ops 4 launches properly on 12th October 2018.
To help get you prepared, we've put together a guide that contains everything we currently know about the new mode, and we'll be expanding on it a huge amount as we approach launch. As we create new guides for specific areas of the game, we'll keep adding links to them in the relevant sections.
Call of Duty Blackout Overview
Before we get into the meat of our guide, here’s all the information we know so far about Blackout, along with a healthy dollop of extra detail based on our experience with the beta.
- In Treyarch’s official blurb it stated “Blackout is an experience unlike any other game or mode in Call of Duty history, where players will have to scavenge, strategise, compete and survive to win."
- It’s going to feature the largest map that’s ever been built in Call of Duty. Described as 1,500 times bigger than Nuketown (take that with a pinch of salt...) it’s filled with fan-favourite locations that span the entire Black Ops franchise.
- You’ll be able to play as classic characters spanning the history of the Black Ops series - even the Zombies Origins cast.
- There are a variety of biomes and zones, all with their own unique points of interest.
- You're able to dive into the water and engage in underwater combat as the situation demands.
- You can get airdrops which bring in extra powerful supplies.
- Zombies spawn in certain locations across the map. Killing these powerful enemies can result in rare gear drops for your collection, and you can even net you a zombie-exclusive Ray Gun.
- There will be many different player models and customisation options to help you stand out in battle.
- There's a grappling hook which can propel you to surfaces quickly. There's also a small slingshot which can be used to fire tripwires onto surfaces. You're also able to get your hands on clapping monkey grenades which, when thrown, will attract zombies to the area.
- You can play in solo or an assortment of team modes.
COD Blackout Gameplay
We've already managed to put together a handful of useful guides based on the Blackout beta, but once the game goes live we'll have even more for you. For now, here are all of our most popular guides for getting stuck into the meta of Blackout's gameplay.
- How to Land Faster - Getting boots on the ground before the rest of the pack makes a huge difference to your early-game gearing. We'll walk you through the process step by step - COD: Blackout - How to land faster
- Perks - A new version of the Perks system is present and correct in Blackout. We've outlined all of the currently known Perks for you in one place - COD: Blackout - Perks guide
- Best Landing and Loot Spots - Certain spots on the map make prime targets for getting geared up fast. We've got you covered on that front - COD: Blackout - Best landing and loot spots
COD Blackout Weapons
It should not come as a surprise to learn that there's a generous selection of weaponry to choose from in Blackout. In this section we're highlighting all of the guides you'll need to make smart choices when it comes to prioritising your offensive gear.
- Guns List - A complete overview of every single gun in the game. Have a browse and see what takes your fancy - COD: Blackout - Guns list
- Best Guns - Our pick of the very bust guns you can choose in the game. Have a read through this so you know what to discard, and what to keep hunting for - COD: Blackout - Best guns guide (PC, PS4, Xbox)
COD Blackout Vehicles
Blackout isn't messing around with its map size, and so you'll be pleased to know there are a few ways to get about the map that don't involve sprinting from one zone to another on foot.
- Vehicles - Our guide to the vehicles in Blackout outlines all of the air, land and sea options you have at your disposal - COD: Blackout - Vehicles guide
COD Blackout Map
Blackout's map size is a pretty impressive thing to behold, with plenty of famous locations from the series' history. In this section you'll be able to access all of our growing guide content for getting to grips with your options on the ground.
- Map - Our core map guide which outlines all of the locations in Blackout, along with a little extra insight on what to expect if you choose to land at any one of them - COD: Blackout - Map guide
COD Blackout Special Events
If you've played any of the other Battle Royale games on the market, then you'll be familiar with the idea of limited time events, which shake the format up a little bit to stop things getting stale.
It seems as though Treyarch is going to follow suit with Blackout, as the beta testing also featured our first look at a special event for the game called Fast Collapse.
As new events are released, we'll add in links to our custom guides for coming out on top of each one.
- Fast Collapse - As the name suggests, the circle of danger closes faster in this limited time event. We've got some tips to help you survive the rush - COD: Blackout - Fast Collapse guide
COD Blackout Systems
Tweaking your system settings can give you a serious advantage in COD: Blackout, and in this section you'll be able to access all of our essential guides for optimising your experience:
- System Requirements - Treyarch has published the official minimum and recommended specs for Blackout. Find out how your rig stacks up here - COD: Blackout - System requirements (PC)
- FPS Settings - If you want to optimise your FPS performance without sacrificing too much eye candy, we've got you covered on that front - COD: Blackout - Best FPS settings guide
When will Call of Duty Blackout be released?
COD Black Ops 4 is due to be released on all current-gen console and PC platforms on 12th October 2018. The Battle Royale Blackout mode will be available on the same day for those who’ve purchased the game.
The game’s available for pre-order right now, so if you want Blackout access on the day of release, make sure you reserve a copy now! You can pick up a copy at the usual retailers, but if you grab it via Amazon you'll help us keep the lights on thanks to the retailer's affiliate programme [Xbox One | PS4 | PC]
That concludes the third edition of our Blackout guide. Stay tuned for frequent updates as we dig even deeper into COD's first expansion into the Battle Royale universe..