Our Call of Duty Blackout guide contains everything we know so far about COD's Battle Royale mode, with details of the release date, weapons, maps and vehicles.
As if you didn't already have enough Battle Royale games in your life thanks to the rise of the behemoth Fortnite and its somewhat more serious contender PUBG, we found out last week that Call of Duty is after a piece of the action as well.
The new COD Battle Royale mode is called Blackout, and developer Treyarch is hoping to get one over on the competition by bringing Call of Duty's highly polished gameplay, perks system and Specialists to the battle for gamer's attention on Twitch.
Some things remain unchanged, however, and so you'll still be facing off against 99 other players to see who can ultimately emerge as the last soldier standing. You'll also be getting stuck into the competition on a map which pays homage to some of the greatest moments from Black Ops' illustrious history.
Call of Duty meets Fortnite sounds like a lot of fun to us, and we can't wait to get stuck into the action when Black Ops 4 launches later this year. To help get you prepared, we've put together a guide that contains everything we currently know about the new mode, and we'll be expanding on it a huge amount as we approach launch.
UPDATE - 21st MAY 2018
We've added in a little bit of extra post-reveal detail to the guide and also included a handful of official screenshots. Scroll towards the bottom of the article to see them and check back soon for another update.
When will Call of Duty Blackout be released?
COD Black Ops 4 is due to be released on all current-gen console and PC platforms on 12th October 2018. The Battle Royale Blackout mode will be available on the same day for those who’ve purchased the game.
The game’s available for pre-order right now, so if you want Blackout access on the day of release, make sure you reserve a copy now! You can pick up a copy at the usual retailers, but if you grab it via Amazon you'll help us keep the lights on thanks to the retailer's affiliate programme [Xbox One | PS4 | PC]
What can we expect from COD Black Ops 4 Blackout?
Here’s all the information we know so far about Blackout, along with a healthy dollop of speculation based on the details that have been revealed.
First up, for a meaty look at the mode in action, have a look at the official reveal trailer which we've embedded for you right here:
Next, here's the lowdown on what we actually know about Blackout.
- In Treyarch’s official blurb it stated “Blackout is an experience unlike any other game or mode in Call of Duty history, where players will have to scavenge, strategise, compete and survive to win."
- It’s going to feature the largest map that’s ever been built in Call of Duty. Described as 1,500 times bigger than Nuketown (take that with a pinch of salt...) it’s filled with fan-favourite locations that span the entire Black Ops franchise.
- You’ll be able to play as classic characters spanning the history of the Black Ops series - even the Zombies Origins cast.
- You can play in Solo or in team modes.
- There will be ground, air and sea vehicles dotted around the map.
- From the trailer, we’ve spotted helicopters, trucks, quad bikes, and we imagine there will be boats, jet-skis and more too.
- Multiplayer in Black Ops 4 doesn’t feature health regeneration anymore. In order to heal, players must press a button to do so. When we know the precise mechanics of this we'll update this section of our guide.
- We imagine there will be a huge variety of weapons at your disposal. Think the usual mix, as well as the more unique assortment of Riot Shields, Flamethrowers, Throwing Axes and Bows too.
- The well-established perks and killstreak rewards from the series will feature in the Blackout mode too. We’ve seen drones and RC Cars feature in the reveal trailer - expect plenty more when the game releases in October.
- You'll notice a character cracking open a huge loot chest in the trailer. This is likely to be the main source of obtaining gear, just as you're used to grabbing equipment in games like Fortnite.
More COD Blackout guides
Are there any screenshots for COD Blackout yet?
We've only been able to track down a couple of screenshots that are specific to the Blackout mode but we've highlighted them below. As soon as we get more from Treyarch we'll drop them in!
That concludes the second edition of our Blackout guide, but stay tuned for some hefty updates in the future as we learn more about this Battle Royale-style mode!