Call of Duty: Warzone has a special way to respawn - 1v1s in the Gulag. Here’s how it works.
When you’re first eliminated, you get the chance to take on an enemy 1v1 in the Gulag. We’ll be giving you the lowdown on how to secure victory there.
Call of Duty: Warzone - What is the Gulag?
Upon your first death, you’ll become a ‘prison of Warzone’. You’ll be added to the queue of fighters and spectate as others fight to the death in a 1v1 arena. If you win, you’re redeployed. Pretty simple.
If you lose your 1v1, you’ll have to rely on your squadmates. They can try to find and complete contracts to earn in-game cash, $4500 of which can then be spent to redeploy you as well, but you’d obviously rather just get back into the game through a prison scrap.
The Gulag works just like a 1v1 Gunfight, so if you have Modern Warfare you can easily get some practice in there. The loadouts available in the Gulag have been updated to include a random selection of one of the below Assault Rifles and SMGs. Your opponent will always spawn with the exact same loadout as you too, so no complaining.
- Kilo 141
- FN SCAR 17
- Striker 45
- 1. Call of Duty: Warzone - Best Loadouts - Call of Duty: Warzone - Best Loadouts
- 2. Call of Duty: Warzone - Gulag tips - Call of Duty: Warzone - Gulag tips
- 3. Call of Duty: Warzone - Best Guns - Call of Duty: Warzone - Best guns for looting
- 4. Call of Duty: Warzone Crossplay - Is there crossplay and cross save in Call of Duty: Warzone?
- 5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Best Beginner Loadouts - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Best Beginner Loadouts
- 6. How to level up your Battle Pass - Warzone - How to rank up your Battle Pass
- 7. Warzone: Best Sensitivity and Settings - Best mouse and controller settings for Warzone
If you fail to win your Gulag faceoff, it’ll cost your pals $4500 Cash to buy you back into the game, which is pretty pricy, but it's usually worth it to have an extra friend in-game.
We've got some gameplay to show you of us winning a scrap in the Gulag and respawning into the map below.
Does throwing rocks do anything in the Gulag?
Throwing rocks in the Gulag deals a bit of damage to enemies, stunning them ever so slightly in the process.
Before gunfights in the Gulag, you'll be able to spectate other people's battles. Whem doing this, you'll have the opportunity to punch fellow spectators and chuck rocks at the current fighters. It's pretty tough to land a good hit, but if you do you'll deal 1 point of damage (out of 100) and slightly stun them. If you and a squadmate are in the Gulag at the same time you can try to distract their opponent by doing this, as well as giving quick callouts of the enemy's location.
More stuff is possible though - Reddit user CJLito managed to secure a kill on an enemy by lobbing a rock at their claymore mine. Definitely worth doing to annoy your fellow inmates.
We’ll have tips and tricks on surviving in the Gulag once we’ve had a chance with it too. In the meantime, check out which vehicles are available in Warzone, as well as our guide on crossplay and cross save in Warzone.