We want Metabomb to be the best site it can be. We've put together an annual reader survey. If you have a few minutes, we'd greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond!
Pitfall seeds can be made from super common ingredients - here's how to unlock them.
We've had an absolute blast setting up pitfall gauntlets for our friends. Walking over a buried pitfall seed will cause your villager to frantically run on thin air as they descent into a pit of death like the last episode of Castlevania Season 3.
Okay, actually they just plop into the ground for a few seconds before hopping out again, but it's funny to get people with.
How to unlock and craft pitfall seeds in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
You can find new crafting recipes by numerous means. These are the main ones:
- Balloon presents - you can use a slingshot to shoot down balloons on your island, which sometimes contain crafting recipes.
- Message bottles - check message bottles on your beaches, as they often contain DIY recipes.
- Villager crafting - your villagers can sometimes be found in their house hammering away at a crafting bench. Talk to them and they'll give you a recipe of whatever they're building.
There's an easier way to get the recipe for a pitfall seed though.
To guarantee the recipe, all you have to do is dig up a previously buried pitfall seed. If a friend already has it, invite them to yours and add them as a Best Friend. Then, just get them to bury a pitfall seed and dig it up yourself! Don't fall into it though - that won't get you the recipe.
What ingredients do I need to craft a pitfall seed?
Crafting a pitfall seed is super cheap. All you need is 4 clumps of weeds and 6 tree branches.
You can harvest tree branches super quickly by shaking trees around your island repeatedly, and weeds spawn daily on your island. If you need more, just get some Nook Miles to take a mystery tour - those islands are full of weeds.
More essential Animal Crossing: New Horizons guides
- 1. Tree Branches - Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to get tree branches fast
- 2. Tarantula Island - Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to get to tarantula island
- 3. Bells - Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to get Bells quickly
- 4. Iron Nuggets - Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to farm Iron Nuggets
- 5. Turnips - Animal Crossing New Horizons - Turnips and Stalk market guide
How to use pitfall seeds
To use a pitfall seed and trick your friends, just follow these steps:
- Step 1: equip your shovel. Any shovel will do, be it flimsy or fancy.
- Step 2: select your pitfall seed. You have to be facing the hole to do it.
- Step 3: choose the 'bury' option. If you have a stack of pitfall seeds, be careful not to hit the 'drop item' option, as it comes up as the top option for some reason and it's easy to misclick.
Congratulations, you're now able to be annoying to all your visitors! While you're inviting folks over though, why not check out more of our guides to make your island the best it can be? For any cashflow struggles, we've got a page on how to play the turnip Stalk Market and get bells from Daisy Mae, and if you want to make your island the fanciest one of them all, we've got a guide on how to unlock terraforming too.