To reset your Island and delete your save data in Animal Crossing: New Horizons you will need to follow a few specific steps. This page will explain how to delete your New Horizons save data and start your Island afresh.
Sometimes you just want to start over, and that may be because you’re sick of the Villagers on your island, you’ve accidentally ruined its delicate ecosystem, or it’s simply time for a refresh having poured thousands of hours into the game already.
To initiate a brand new horizon (wahey) isn’t well explained or immediately obvious. Thankfully it’s a pretty simple process which involves only a few steps. Follow our guide below and you’ll know how to send a save file into the abyss and kickstart a brand new island adventure.
How to delete your island in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Below we've outlined methods to totally reset your island or delete someone else's save data. If anything changes, we'll be sure to update this page.
How to delete your island and wipe your save data
To delete your island and completely wipe any trace of your save data, then follow the steps below.
These steps are relevant if you are the island's creator and main resident.
- 1. Exit the game and go to the HOME Menu on your Nintendo Switch.
- 2. Scroll to "System Settings" along the bottom of the screen. Press A to select it.
- 3. Scroll down to "Data Management" and press A. Now, scroll down to "Delete Save Data".
- 4. Select "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" and you'll be presented with two options: "Delete Save Data for Yourself", or "Delete all Save Data for This Software".
- 5. Select "Delete All Save Data for This Software". Wait for a second, and hit the bit red button to confirm your choice.
Next time you boot up the game you'll be starting right from the very beginning - lovely stuff.
How to delete someone else's save data from your island
If a friend has visited your island and you want to delete their save file, then there's a way to do so.
The following steps will delete someone else's save data from the main creator's island.
- 1. Launch Animal Crossing: New Horizons from the Nintendo Switch home menu.
- 2. Once you're at the main menu, press the "minus" button on your Nintendo Switch.
- 3. Speak to Tom Nook, who'll let you know what you're about to do.
- 4. Select "Delete Resident Registration".
- 5. Scroll through the list of residents on your island and select them to delete their save data.
Do bear in mind that this method cannot be used to delete yourself from the island in a bit to reset things. To totally delete your island and save data, read the steps in the section above.
We've got plenty more Animal Crossing New Horizons content for those just starting out their island adventure. Head on over to our NookPhone and Nook Miles page for some help with those, and consider having a flick through our Bells guide as it explains how to earn them fast!
Don't want to totally delete your save? But really want to move your Tent? Our How to move your Tent page has all your questions answered.
Finally, if you're curious as to how you can save your game, look no further than our How to save page!