Our Thief Rogue deck guide features the best deck list for Season 42, with Mulligan advice, strategy tips, combos and synergies.
Thief - or Burgle - Rogue is a Hearthstone deck concept that's been played here and there throughout the game's history, but could potentially see play in the new Knights of the Frozen Throne era. Will it stick around this time? We'll have to wait and see, but it's a really fun deck to play and we reckon every Rogue fan should try it out for at least a few games - if you happen to have the cards.
We're the first to admit that Rogue isn't our strongest hero, and so in this first edition of our guide we're highlighting a deck cooked up by Brian Kibler at the start of the expansion. We've also broken down the core combos contained within the deck list so you can get to grips with how this plays. Should this deck take off, we'll expand on all sections of our guide considerably.
Got any questions about playing Thief Rogue? Ask away in the comments, and even if we can't help you ourselves there'll certainly be someone in the community who can.
Our Frozen Throne: Best Decks and Guides hub contains everything you need to get stuck into the new meta!
Thief Rogue deck list and strategy
Here's Brian Kibler's Thief Rogue, created for the very earliest days of the Frozen Throne meta. There are no guarantees about how viable this deck will prove in the long-term (and the cards involved will certainly change), so do be careful about what you spend your crafting dust on this early on.
|2 x Backstab||1 x Patches the Pirate|
|2 x Hallucination||2 x Tar Creeper|
|2 x Swashburglar||1 x The Lich King|
|2 x Eviscerate|
|2 x Razorpetal Lasher|
|2 x Undercity Huckster|
|1 x Fan of Knives|
|1 x Mimic Pod|
|1 x Plague Scientist|
|2 x SI:7 Agent|
|2 x Shadowblade|
|1 x Shaku, the Collector|
|1 x Lilian Voss|
|2 x Ethereal Peddler|
|2 x Vilespine Slayer|
|1 x Valeera the Hollow|
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAaIHCJsFkbwCyb8C/MECws4ClNACl9ACgNMCC7QBiAfdCPKwApK2ApS2AvjBAoHCAsrDApvIApriAgA=
You'll find the bulk of our tips in the combo section, towards the bottom of the page. If Thief Rogue proves popular we'll revisit this guide and give advice for handling specific match-ups in the Frozen Throne meta.
In the meantime, we'd love to hear your own insight in the comments, so sign up and share your expertise on playing this kind of deck!
More great Rogue guides:
- 1. Miracle Rogue - Miracle Rogue deck list guide
- 2. Tempo Rogue - Tempo Rogue deck list guide
- 3. Kingsbane Weapon Rogue - Kingsbane Weapon Rogue deck list guide
- 4. Quest Rogue - Quest Rogue deck list guide
- 5. Kobolds and Catacombs decks - Best Kobolds and Catacombs decks
- 6. Dungeon Run - Dungeon Run guide
- 7. Kobolds and Catacombs guide - Kobolds and Catacombs guide
Thief Rogue Mulligan guide
As it's very early on in the Frozen Throne meta, any advice we give you about Mulliganing this deck could become outdated very quickly. Once things have settled down - and if this particular deck takes off - we'll update this section with a snapshot of cards to keep against every Hearthstone hero.
Thief Rogue tips, combos and synergies
Here's a teardown of all the combos available in this particular version of Thief Rogue. Hopefully these tips should be enough to help you get started, but we'd love to hear your own suggestions in the comments.
- Swashburglar has a key interaction with Patches the Pirate. If the latter's still in your deck at the time, the former will drag him into play for zero cost. Don't forget to attack with him before hitting End Turn!
- Plague Scientist can be used to grant a minion the Poison status, but only if at least one other card was played before him on the same turn.
- Play a card before you play SI:7 Agent and you'll be able to direct two points of damage at a target of your choosing. The Coin combos very nicely with this card and is a well-established play.
- Note that the Battlecry effect of Shadowblade - granting you immunity from damage - only works on the same turn you pop the blade into your hand.
- Whenever you hit a target with Shaku, The Collector he'll add a card from your opponent's class to your hand. Expect much randomness here...
- Lilian Voss swaps out all of the spells currently in your hand for a selection of spells from your opponent's class. While this might sound like a risky play, consider some of the less useful cards you may own at the time, such as the Razorpetals granted by Razorpetal Lasher.
- Once you've gathered together a tasty collection of the other class's cards, you can drop Ethereal Peddler onto the board to reduce the cost of all of them by two Mana each.
- Vilespine Slayer can be used to assassinate an enemy minion, but you must play another card first. Cards like The Coin and your Razorpetals can be used to good effect here.
- Your hero becomes stealthed on the turn that Valeera the Hollow is played, but keep in mind that you can still be killed by untargeted damage such as Arcane Missiles, as a very basic example. The new hero power Death's Shadow adds a card called Shadow Reflection to your hand, and it becomes a copy of the last card you played.
- At the end of each turn, The Lich King will select a random card from the pool of Death Knight cards and add it to your hand. Here are all of the options in this category:
|2||Death Coil||Deal 5 damage to an enemy, or restore 5 Health to a friendly character.|
|2||Death Grip||Steal a minion from your opponent's deck and add it to your hand.|
|2||Obliterate||Destroy a minion. Your hero takes damage equal to its Health.|
|3||Death and Decay||Deal 3 damage to all enemies.|
|4||Anti-Magic Shell||Give your minions +2 / +2 and “Can't be targeted by spells or Hero Powers.”|
|5||Doom Pact||Destroy all minions. Remove the top card from your deck for each minion destroyed.|
|6||Army of the Dead||Remove the top 5 cards of your deck. Summony any minions removed.|
|7||Frostmourne||Deathrattle: Summon every minion killed by this [5 / 3] weapon.|