Our Quest Priest guide (Awaken the Makers) features the best deck list for Season 37, with Mulligan advice, strategy tips, card combos and synergies.
Along with all of the other heroes in the game, Priest gets a piece of the Quest action thanks to new card Awaken the Makers. Once put into play, you'll be challenged to summon 7 Deathrattle minions into play, after you'll be rewarded with Amara, Warden of Hope. This 5 Mana 8/8 not only has Taunt, but also sets your health pool to 40.
Truth be told, Priest is shaping up to be in a bad way in the Un'Goro metagame, and this deck doesn't look likely to cut the mustard in the competitive scene. Still, if you received it during your pack opening frenzy and want a viable deck to play it with, our guide should have you covered. We've got a very early deck list for you to play with, some basic strategy advice, and a teardown of all the combos contained within it.
Before that though, it's helpful to highlight the new Un'Goro cards that make the deck work:
Awaken the Makers: This 1 Mana Quest card kicks off proceedings. Once played, you'll have to summon 7 Deathrattle minions to get your reward of Amara, Warden of Hope.
Amara, Warden of Hope: This 5 Mana 8/8 comes with Taunt and also sets your hero health pool to 40.
Crystalline Oracle: A 1 Mana 1/1 that adds a card from your opponent's deck to your hand when it dies.
Curious Glimmerroot: This 3 Mana 3/3 presents three cards to you. If you correctly guess the one that's in the enemy's deck, you'll receive it! A fun idea, and we hope to see more Priest decks that can use it this rotation.
Tortollan Shellraiser: A 4 Mana 2/6 with Taunt. When it dies, a random friendly minion will get a bonus +1 / +1 of stats applied to it.
Volatile Elemental: A 2 Mana 1/1 that will hit a random minion for 3 points of damage when it dies.
Devilsaur Egg: This 3 Mana 0/3 is pretty useless until you trigger its Deathrattle effect, something that synergies with the next card particularly well.
Spiritsinger Umbra: Every Deathrattle minion you play while this 4 Mana 3/4 is on the board will see its Deathrattle effect go off immediately.
Elise Starseeker: A 5 Mana 5/5 that puts an Un'Goro pack in your hand when played.
Un'Goro Pack: A 2 Mana spell that adds 5 of the new expansion cards to your hand.
BREAKING NEWS! - Don't miss our round-up of the best Journey to Un'Goro decks that are busting their way into the new metagame!
Quest Priest (Awaken the Makers) deck list and strategy
Here's another Amaz deck list that we're highlighting for the first edition of our Quest Priest guide. We say this in every guide right now, but watch what you craft if you've only a little bit of dust to go around. There will inevitably be some cards that don't make it into the final, refined versions of this deck.
|1 x Awaken the Makers||1 x Bloodmage Thalnos|
|2 x Crystalline Oracle||2 x Loot Hoarder|
|2 x Power Word: Shield||2 x Volatile Elemental|
|2 x Shadow Word: Pain||2 x Devilsaur Egg|
|2 x Curious Glimmerroot||1 x Spiritsinger Umbra|
|2 x Mirage Caller||1 x Elise the Trailblazer|
|2 x Shadow Word: Death||1 x Cairne Bloodhoof|
|2 x Shifting Shade||1 x N'Zoth, the Corruptor|
|2 x Tortollan Shellraiser|
|2 x Dragonfire Potion|
(Take a look at our Un'Goro crafting guide if you want to find out more about the selection process behind some of these cards.)
In very simple terms this is a fresh twist on old N'Zoth Control Priest. You're still doing whatever it takes to stop your opponents board from getting out of control while developing your own side of the board. This second element of the strategy is now of course themed around fielding Deathrattle minions so as to get your Quest completed as quickly as possible.
Assuming you can survive long enough to reach the end-game, you have the restorative powers of Amara to help you regroup and restore, while N'Zoth, the Corruptor will summon all of your dead Deathrattle minions back onto the board. Time will tell whether or not this deck has any kind of competitive chops for the ladder though.
More Priest guides:
- 1. Highlander Priest - Highlander Priest deck list guide
- 2. Big Priest - Big Priest deck list guide
- 3. Dragon Priest - Dragon Priest deck list guide
- 4. Silence Priest - Silence Priest deck list guide
- 5. Best Hearthstone decks - The best Hearthstone decks - October 2017
- 6. Best Wild decks - The best Wild Hearthstone decks
- 7. Tier List - Hearthstone deck tier list
Quest Priest (Awaken the Makers) tips, combos and synergies
Here's a quick breakdown of all the combos that power this deck. Take a bit of time to study these before jumping straight into the ladder:
- Every minion you play with Deathrattle after commencing the Quest will count towards its objective. Even N'Zoth's appearance will count towards it (if you can make it that far...)
- If a Deathrattle minion was killed during the game (not silenced or transformed in any way), then it falls into the pool of cards N'Zoth, the Corruptor can pull into play.
- Remember that Dragonfire Potion will affect every minion in this deck negatively. RIP Dragon Priest...
- Any damage dealing spells you play will be boosted in strength by an active Bloodmage Thalnos.
- Spiritsinger Umbra has amazing synergy with Devilsaur Egg in particular. Cairne's another great target. Don't expect this to survive long on the board though - make sure you get a single turn combo off of this card.