Our Quest Murloc Shaman guide (Unite the Murlocs) features the best deck list for Season 37, with Mulligan advice, strategy tips, card combos and synergies.
Quest Murloc Shaman - the new Hearthstone deck shaped around Unite the Murlocs - is predicted to be one of the most powerful decks in the Journey to Un'Goro metagame. Not only is the reward for completing this mission particularly tasty, it's also very very achieveable given the glut of cheap Murlocs available from across the entire Hearthstone card pool. For the first edition of this guide, we're making use of Trump's pre-release theorycrafted deck.
The Quest requires you to summon a total of 10 Murlocs into play, at which point you'll be rewarded with Megafin. This 8/8 creature is not just a meaty Murloc in its own right, it also has a Battlecry effect that stuffs your hand full of even more - randomly chosen - Murlocs. You can perhaps now see now why this archetype is expected to become such a menace in the months to come...
First of all we want to highlight the new cards that are about to give Murloc Shaman such an incredible shot in the arm. After that we've got an overview of the general strategy required when you play the deck, followed by a look at the Mulligan phase and a breakdown of the card combos you have at your disposal.
(Note that our usual card hover system which lets you view cards at a glance is in the process of being updated for Un'Goro. For now, you can use the gallery beneath the description to get a look at the actual cards.)
Unite the Murlocs: The main event! This Quest card requires you to summon 10 Murlocs into play if you want your Megafin reward.
Primalfin Totem: A 2 Mana 0/3 minion that spawns a 1/1 Murloc at the end of your own turn.
Rockpool Hunter: A 2 Mana 2/3 with a Battlecry that grants another friendly Murloc +1/+1 of stats
Primalfin Lookout: A 3 Mana 3/2 creature. If you have another Murloc on the board, you'll get to Discover another one!
Gentle Megasaur: This 4 Mana 5/4 triggers the Adapt process for all of your active Murlocs when it's played.
BREAKING NEWS! - Don't miss our round-up of the best Journey to Un'Goro decks, that are busting their way into the new metagame!
Quest Murloc Shaman (Unite the Murlocs) deck list and strategy
Trump's concocted this particular version of Murloc Shaman for the early days of the Un'Goro metagame. There'll be a lot of changes made as the pros experiment with the deck in the live game, so be careful when it comes to crafting any cards you don't manage to loot from packs this Friday.
|1 x Unite the Murlocs||2 x Murloc Tidecaller|
|1 x Devolve||2 x Bilefin Tidehunter|
|2 x Flametongue Totem||2 x Bluegill Warrior|
|1 x Maelstrom Portal||2 x Murloc Tidehunter|
|2 x Primalfin Totem||2 x Rockpool Hunter|
|2 x Hex||2 x Coldlight Seer|
|2 x Call in the Finishers||2 x Murloc Warleader|
|2 x Primalfin Lookout|
|2 x Gentle Megasaur|
|1 x Finja, the Flying Star|
(Take a look at our Un'Goro crafting guide if you want to find out more about the selection process behind some of these cards.)
The strategy involved with playing this deck really isn't all that complicated. Once you've initiated your Quest on Turn 1, you simply need to to play out your Murlocs efficiently, control the board if it's sensible to do so, and start doing damage as you work towards your Quest victory condition.
Once that happens you'll not only have a tasty minion to play with in the form of Megafin, but you'll also have a fat dollop of new Murlocs added to your deck for free! From here, you'd hope to be able to find the finishing line pretty easily.
We're going to build on this section further once we've played with the deck in the live Un'Goro metagame. In the meantime, we've broken down all the combos contained in the deck a little further down the page. Study these to get an early idea of how everything's supposed to come together.
More Shaman guides:
- 1. Token Shaman - Token Shaman deck list guide
- 2. Elemental Shaman - Elemental Shaman deck list guide
- 3. Control Shaman - Control Shaman deck list guide
- 4. Jade Shaman - Jade Shaman deck list guide
- 5. Best Standard decks - The best Standard Hearthstone decks
- 6. Best Wild decks - The best Wild Hearthstone decks
- 7. Tier List - Deck Tier List
Quest Murloc Shaman (Unite the Murlocs) Mulligan guide
You're guaranteed to play Unite the Murlocs on Turn 1 and so your next move depends very much on whether you have The Coin or not. You just want to be able to efficiently build out a board of Murlocs here, so you quickly approach the end of your Quest.
Primalfin Totem will certainly get the ball rolling here, but it will also be a prime target for removal of course. Combo-ing this up with Murloc Tidecaller has obvious synergy potential though, and then there are all of your other cheap Murlocs to empower this creature further.
Until we have a better idea of how the metagame looks - at which point we'll update this guide with hero-by-hero advice - concentrate on building out a steady curve so you've got something to spend all of your Mana on during the first few turns. Have a plan, then execute it!
Quest Murloc Shaman (Unite the Murlocs) combos and synergies
Let's take a look at all of the combos contained in this Unite the Murlocs deck:
- You can use Flametongue Totem to gain a boost to adjacent minions that will surprise your opponent. Make sure you position your creatures correctly in case you need to cycle through them with this stat enhancement.
- Primalfin Totem has obvious synergy with Unite the Murlocs, but it can also be used to boost up Murloc Tidecaller very cheaply.
- All Murlocs count towards your Quest, of course, but it's worth making a special mention for Call in the Finishers - a very easy way of ticking off nearly half of your Quest requirement.
- Rockpool Hunter can be used to push up the stats of any other Murloc out in play. Unless you need to busy through a problematic minion, it's probably worth shoring up the defenses of a card like Murloc Warleader if you can. That way the extra stats just keep on rolling across the board for longer.
- Try to get as much value as your can out of Gentle Megasaur, and take a look at our Adapt guide for more information on how this new buffing mechanic works
- Note that the free Murlocs you hope to draw from Finja, the Flying Star count as summoned Murlocs! That's at least another two off the list if you can get at least one kill.