Our Frozen Throne Dragon Warrior deck guide features the best deck list for Season 41, with Mulligan advice, strategy tips, card combos and synergies.
Dragon Warrior is a pretty aggressive tempo deck that gets off to a fast start and doesn't ever really look back from there. As you'd expect from the name alone, it's a deck that's absolutely stuffed full of Dragon-class cards at each stage of the Mana curve, and these allow you to very quickly snowball an intimidating threat against jsut much any deck you'll face on the ladder.
We've seen experiments with Dragon Warrior in the past, but the arrival of the Old Gods expansion made it more viable than ever before. Gadgetzan has taken the archetype even further, thanks to the arrival of cards such as Patches the Pirate.
In our Dragon Warrior guide, we'll outline one of the most consistently strong deck lists that's currently available, and walk you through the strategy basics of winning with it on the ladder. We've also got some Mulligan advice to help you choose your starting cards wisely, followed up by loads of tips and card combos to help you understand how the various synergies at play actually come together.
Got any questions? Let us know in the comments and we'll do our best to answer them for you.
FROZEN THRONE UPDATE
It's been some six months since Dragon Warrior last saw competitive play, but it looks as though there might be a future for this archetype in the Frozen Throne meta. Given the huge number of updates that are required for more prominent decks, we haven't been able to completely overhaul this guide for launch, but we wanted to highlight a deck that fans of the archetype can play around with.
This version of Dragon Warrior was created by Titan for the launch of the new meta, but please be cautious on crafting the new cards contained within it. Even if it takes off in the competitive scene, there are no guarantees around which cards survive into the final version!
|1 x Shield Slam||2 x Netherspite Historian|
|2 x Armorsmith||2 x Acolyte of Pain|
|2 x Execute||1 x Gluttonous Ooze|
|2 x Fiery War Axe||1 x Spellbreaker|
|1 x Sleep with the Fishes||2 x Twilight Drake|
|2 x Shield Block||1 x Book Wyrm|
|2 x Blood Razor||1 x Skulking Geist|
|1 x Alley Armorsmith||1 x Bonemare|
|2 x Brawl||2 x Primordial Drake|
|1 x The Lich King|
|1 x Ysera|
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAQcKogTyBaIJqrIC/rwCxsMC08UCoM4Cps4Cws4CCkuRA9QEkQb/B40I+wyCtQLJxwLMzQIA
We'll revisit this article and completley overhaul it in the next few days, but until then keep in mind that a lot of the information below this point won't apply to the current deck list!
Our Frozen Throne: Best Decks and Guides hub contains everything you need to get stuck into the new meta!
Frozen Throne Dragon Warrior deck list and strategy
We think this is the best Dragon Warrior deck list you can play in March, and it takes into account the recent nerf to Small-Time Buccaneer too.
|2 x N'Zoth's First Mate||1 x Patches the Pirate|
|2 x Alexstrasza's Champion||1 x Sir Finley Mrrgglton|
|2 x Fiery War Axe||2 x Southsea Deckhand|
|1 x Slam||2 x Faerie Dragon|
|2 x Fierce Monkey||2 x Twilight Guardian|
|2 x Frothing Berserker||2 x Azure Drake|
|1 x Ravaging Ghoul||2 x Blackwing Corruptor|
|2 x Kor'kron Elite||2 x Drakonid Crusher|
|1 x The Curator|
|1 x Ragnaros the Firelord|
In the early game you're looking to use the likes of Fiery War Axe to shut the opponent down from the very off, while having minions like Faerie Dragon and Alexstrasza's Champion in your hand can give you a very strong start on the board. Just keep in mind that the classification of Faerie Dragon means you might want to delay playing it if it's needed to activate more expensive cards that require you to have a dragon in hand.
Frothing Berserker, Ravaging Ghoul, Twilight Guardian and your spells will help you transition neatly into the mid-game where you have some very beefy cards in the form of Azure Drake and Blackwing Corruptor. At this stage you should be pressuring your opponent's health pool in order to trigger the extra effect of Drakonid Crusher. The Curator is a great source of card-draw which will help you push over the finishing line too.
Gadgetzan introduces a little light pirate synergy for the deck, with combo potential between Patches the Pirate and Southsea Deckhand.
More great Warrior guides:
- 1. Pirate Warrior - Frozen Throne Pirate Warrior deck list guide
- 2. Control Warrior - Frozen Throne Control Warrior deck list guide
- 3. Blood Warrior - Frozen Throne Blood Warrior deck list guide
- 4. Tempo Warrior - Frozen Throne Tempo Warrior deck list guide
- 5. Dragon Warrior - Frozen Throne Dragon Warrior deck list guide
- 5. Top Standard decks - Top Hearthstone decks
- 6. Best Wild decks - The best Wild Hearthstone decks
- 7. Tier List - Deck Tier List
Frozen Throne Dragon Warrior Mulligan guide
The following cards make for fantastic keeps: Fiery War Axe (as always...!), Alexstrasza's Champion, Faerie Dragon and Frothing Berserker. If you are certain you're up against an aggro deck, then Ravaging Ghoul has obvious clearing power.
There's one further consideration to be had in the Gadgetzan metagame, and that involves Southsea Deckhand, N'Zoth's First Mate and Patches the Pirate. You can play either card on Turn 1, get a free Patches and then continue snowballing your threat from there.
Frozen Throne Dragon Warrior tips, combos and synergies
Here's a quick run through all of the combos in Dragon Warrior, and a few handy tips to get you going with the deck.
- Any card in your hand that's classified as a Dragon will trigger the damage ping of Blackwing Corruptor. You should always seek to exploit this bonus damage as it can really push the progression of the game in your favour.
- Likewise, Twilight Guardian and Alexstrasza's Champion are both empowered in different ways if you have a Dragon in your hand.
- Remember to keep in mind the direct - and indirect - applications of all sources of damage when it comes to a creature like Frothing Berserker. Plan your moves carefully to ensure this character becomes as powerful as it can be.
- On the subject of planning out your turns, think carefully about when you should field Drakonid Crusher if you're close to getting your opponent down towards fifteen points of health or lower.
- You are guaranteed to receive Fierce Monkey from The Curator as it's the only Beast in the deck! This can really lock the game down for you, so keep it in mind when planning the late stages of a match.
- Your weapons have obvious synergy with Southsea Deckhand, and this character also teams up neatly with Patches the Pirate. See also N'Zoth's First Mate for a similar synergistic effect.
Regular readers of Metabomb will know that we're big fans of Trump, and we think he does an amazing job of teaching players the ins and outs of Hearthstone's decks.
We wanted to highlight the Dragon Warrior edition of his Trump Teachings video series in our guide, and you'll certainly learn a lot from watching it.
Keep in mind that the precise deck list that Trump is using here will likely be different from the one we're highlighting for the current metagame. The Hearthstone metagame subltey shifts all the time, after all, and compared to text it's trickier to update video content over time.
We don't think that's a huge problem though, as it's more important to learn how the general strategy of the deck plays out. On that basis, there are few better ways of gaining a deeper understanding into what makes Dragon Warrior tick!