Our Demon Warlock deck list guide outlines the best deck for Kobolds and Catacombs. This Demon Warlock guide also contains Mulligan advice, strategy tips, card combos and synergies.
Demon Warlock is a Hearthstone deck that makes heavy use of both Demon, Recruit and Lifesteal keywords to pack an intimidating punch on the Kobolds and Catacombs ladder. Although you need a few rather expensive cards to make this work, it's considered a potential part of the new meta by a few of the pros. It's still on the fringe though, so avoid crafting anything too pricey in the first few weeks.
In our starter guide to this new archetype, we've highlighted one of the most popular decks being used right now, added some basic Mulligan advice, and also broken down the combos contained in this particular version of Demon Warlock. This should give you all the tips, tricks and tools you need to get started with it in the first few weeks of the Kobolds meta.
In order to get as many of the new meta decks in front of you as possible, the first edition of our guides are a little smaller than usual. If the decks take off though, we will significantly expand on all aspects of every one over time.
Update - 14th December 2017
Now that the launch window is behind us we're able to update our Demon Warlock deck list. This is the most common version you'll see on the ladder right now, but there are many variations of this archetype and the definitive list has yet to be pinned down. We'll keep updating this deck list as it becomes more refined.
Demon Warlock deck list and strategy
Here's the version of Demon Warlock that was used by Thijs to hit Legend right at the start of the Frozen Throne meta. Keep in mind that this deck list will go through many changes in the coming weeks, so watch what you spend your precious dust on!
|2 x Dark Pact||2 x Mistress of Mixtures|
|2 x Kobold Librarian||1 x Bloodmage Thalnos|
|2 x Mortal Coil||2 x Plated Beetle|
|2 x Defile||1 x Spiritsinger Umbra|
|2 x Hellfire||2 x Carnivorous Cube|
|2 x Lesser Amethyst Spellstone|
|2 x Doomguard|
|2 x Possessed Lackey|
|1 x Skull of the Man'ari|
|1 x Siphon Soul|
|1 x Twisting Nether|
|2 x Voidlord|
|1 x Bloodreaver Gul'dan|
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAf0GBu0F2wbMCMnCApfTAtvpAgz3BLYHxAjexALnywLy0AL40AKI0gKL4QL85QLq5gLo5wIA
For an overview of the strategy required when playing Demon Warlock, take a look at the combo section further down the page. This contains all of the information you need to know about how the various cards synergise with one another.
If this deck proves popular in the metagame, we will provide in-depth information about how to pilot this archetype against all of the opponents you are likely to face on the Kobolds and Catacombs ladder.
More great Warlock guides:
- 1. Quest Warlock - Quest Warlock deck list guide
- 2. Control Warlock - Control Warlock deck list guide
- 3. Zoo Warlock - Zoo Warlock deck list guide
- 4. Demon Warlock - Demon Warlock deck list guide
- 5. Kobolds and Catacombs decks - Best Kobolds and Catacombs decks
- 6. Dungeon Run - Dungeon Run guide
- 7. Kobolds and Catacombs guide - Kobolds and Catacombs guide
Demon Warlock Mulligan guide
Until things settle down after launch it's impossible to give hard and fast advice about which cards you should keep against specific opponents. We will go deeper on that in the next update when the shape of the ladder is better known.
In the meantime, here's an overview of the cards you'll find generally useful in each match-up:
Kobold Librarian - A great value card with a negative Battlecry element that you should be more than happy to tolerate as a Warlock!
Mistress of Mixtures - The earlier this card is played in general the better, when Health totals are at their least important and you want another minion on the board.
Plated Beetle - Another fine early game minion that also shores up your defenses when it's inevitably destroyed by the opponent. Few players are going to waste a silencing effect on this creature, that's for sure!
Skull of the Man'ari - Powerful but probably only worth keeping with The Coin, and even that's a bit of a stretch. This may well be chopped off the list once a clear picture of the ladder has emerged, and we know it's true value during the early to mid-stages of a game.
Demon Warlock tips, combos and synergies
Here's a complete breakdown of all the card combos contained in this version of Demon Warlock. This should be enough to get you going on the ladder, and until we can come back and update our strategy guide with hero-specific advice!
- Note that Defile's damage is applied to all minions, and it's cast again and again for each minion it kills in a sequential fashion. Plan carefully before you trigger this spell, as you may be able to set things up for a really big clear.
- Bloodmage Thalnos boosts all damage-dealing spells by one point, which has particular synergy with Defile - again, you'll need to plan your turn out very carefully here.
- When Plated Beetle dies, you gain an extra three points of Armor - simple!
- Any minions played after Spiritsinger Umbra will see their Deathrattle effects go off immediately. In this deck those cards are Mistress of Mixtures, Plated Beetle, Carnivorous Cube, Possessed Lackey and Voidlord.
- Ideally you'll target a near-death minion with Carnivorous Cube for maximum value. Whichever target you choose though, be sure to make use of it before targeting it with this intriguing new Kobolds minion.
- When Possessed Lackey dies, a random Demon minion remaining in your deck will be whisked out of your deck pile and put straight into play. Note that this is not a copy of that minion.
- Skull of the Man'ari is your Legendary Weapon in the new expansion. As long as this is equipped you'll summon a random Demon from your hand at the start of your turn.
- When Bloodreaver Gul'dan is played onto the board, he'll flood your side of the table with Demon minions that died earlier on in the match! In this deck that means Voidlord and the Taunt Demons that he brings into play for you.
- Do keep in mind that Hellfire not only damages both sides of the board in terms of minions in play, but also each hero's Health as well.
- Here's the lowdown on Lesser Amethyst Spellstone. This four Mana spell does three damage to a targeted damage and returns that damage to your hero as Health. Take damage from one of your own cards though - not your Hero Power - and that increases to five points. Taking more damage caps the card's damage value at seven.