Our Control Mage deck guide features the best deck list for Season 38, with Mulligan advice, strategy tips, card combos and synergies.
Control Mage is a Hearthstone deck archetype that offers a huge amount of flexibility in play. Although you'll often start off matches looking very much like a Tempo Mage, your real purpose is to neutralise the opponent's threats all the way through to the late-game. Here you can drop the opponent's health with Alexstrasza, before dishing out some serious burst damage to close the match out altogether.
In the next of our Un'Goro deck guides, we've got a snapshot of a solid deck list you can use for this archetype right now, as well as some basic Mulligan advice. After that we've got a list of all the combos contained in this particular version of the deck. This should give you a clearer picture of how you can best survive into the latter stages of any given game.
Should Control Mage prove to be particularly competitive in the ongoing Un'Goro metagame, we'll flesh out this guide with even more helpful information! Until then, ask away in the comments if you need any help playing this deck and we'll do our best to help you out.
Editor's note - May 2017: There are no changes to our preferred Control Mage deck list this month, so simply carry on playing the deck as you have been. We'll revise this guide again when the next month of competitive play is upon us!
BREAKING NEWS! - Our must-read guide on how to counter Quest Rogue is live on the site now!
Control Mage deck list and strategy - May 2017
This is the deck list that PsyGunther used to hit #1 Legend with in Season 37. Other versions do exist out there if you want to tweak the formula a little.
|2 x Babbling Book||1 x Bloodmage Thalnos|
|2 x Mana Wyrm||1 x Gluttonous Ooze|
|2 x Arcanologist||1 x Alexstrasza|
|2 x Frostbolt||1 x Medivh, the Guardian|
|2 x Medivh's Valet|
|2 x Primordial Glyph|
|2 x Arcane Intellect|
|1 x Ice Barrier|
|2 x Ice Block|
|2 x Kabal Courier|
|2 x Fireball|
|1 x Meteor|
|2 x Firelands Portal|
|1 x Flamestrike|
|1 x Pyroblast|
More great Mage guides:
- 1. Secret Mage - Secret Mage deck list guide
- 2. Aggro Burn Mage - Aggro Burn Mage deck list guide
- 3. Control Mage - Control Mage deck list guide
- 4. Freeze Mage - Freeze Mage deck list guide
- 5. Tempo Mage - Tempo Mage deck list guide
- 6. Best Standard decks - The best Standard Hearthstone decks
- 7. Best Wild decks - The best Wild Hearthstone decks
- 8. Tier List - Deck Tier List
Control Mage Mulligan guide - May 2017
Cards like Babbling Book, Arcanologist and Mana Wyrm are always solid keeps. If you get the latter, look for follow-up plays that feed this creature such as Primordial Glyph or Frostbolt.
When we next update our Control Mage guide, we'll include some advice for keeping certain cards against certain opponents.
Control Mage tips, combos and synergies - May 2017
Here are the most important combos to keep in mind when you're playing Control Mage.
- Playing Medivh, the Guardian adds a 1/3 weapon called Atiesh to your hand. If you cast a spell while this weapon is equipped, a minion of the same cost will be put into play for free. This removes one of the three points of Durability from the weapon though.
- When played, Arcanologist will add either Ice Barrier or Ice Block to your hand, if one or both options are still remaining in your deck.
- Try to get the extra Battlecry value of Medivh's Valet whenever you can. Those extra three points of damage can really change the tide of a match.
- Mana Wyrm gains an extra point of Attack value for each spell you cast once it's been put out onto the board.
- As long as Bloodmage Thalnos is out on the board, your damage-dealing spells will do one extra point of damage each.