Our Destiny 2: Trials of the Nine guide contains everything you need to know about this Crucible PVP mode
In the original Destiny, Guardians could participate in a weekly end-game Crucible event called the Trials of Osiris. It pitted fireteams of three against one another in a highly competitive environment, with the sole aim of going on a winstreak long enough to reach The Lighthouse - an exclusive location where you can purchase rare gear.
Destiny 2’s Trials of the Nine introduces the same level of PVP intensity, providing high level Guardians a chance to compete against others who’ve also reached the end-game. As Trials of the Nine has just released, we're working to gather as much information as we can. Bear with us as we continue to update this guide frequently - keep this page bookmarked for more!
Trials of the Nine: Week 1
As Trials of the Nine has just launched, we're working away to gather as much information as possible on this event for you. Stay tuned for further details!
How to access
Below you'll find how to get involved in Trials of the Nine, including what requirements you'll have to meet and how to get matches under way.
Bungie tweeted out what requirements you'll have to meet to get stuck in.
Players must complete the Destiny 2 campaign, the Call to Arms Milestone at least once, and have 260 Power for access to Trials of the Nine.— Bungie Help (@BungieHelp) September 15, 2017
Here's how to start matchmaking.
- Get a fireteam of four together.
- Go to your Director, selector Crucible, followed by Trials of the Nine.
- This will automatically place you in a match.
Here's a basic overview of what Trials of the Nine has to offer.
- It's 4 vs 4.
- Loadouts are locked, meaning you have to choose your gear wisely before entering battle - you can't change on the fly.
- Level advantages are disabled.
- Mode: Countdown.
- Map: Eternity.
- Going flawless requires ten wins in a row.
- Hovering over Trials of the Nine in your Director shows your scorecard with ten check boxes. You can choose to reset your progress if matches haven't been going your way - erasing the outcome of every match you've played so far.
- Winning Trials of the Nine matches rewards you with "Trials of the Nine Tokens". These are redeemable at each Emissary at The Third Spire social space.
- There is a Milestone associated with winning your first match of Trials of the Nine. This grants you passage to The Third Spire.
The Third Spire
Here's what we know about Destiny 2's Trials of the Nine social space.
- There are vendors called "The Emissary" who hang out here.
- You can cash in Trials of the Nine Tokens with each Emissary to gain reputation points. Once you have enough, you'll be rewarded with an Engram - just like any other Faction leader.
- You only need to win one match to access this hub.
- There are seemingly three tiers tied to The Third Spire. One win grants you access to the first Emissary on ground level. Winning multiple games allows you to boost over to another Emissary on a platform high above. Presumably, going flawless (10 wins) grants you access to the last Emissary vendor on the highest platform. As you climb higher, the loot becomes more exclusive.
Below we've linked a video showcasing this new space.
Trials of the Nine rewards
As we're still gathering information on Trials of the Nine, this is very much a template for the future and we'll overhaul this section with in depth looks at each piece of gear. For now though, just bear with us!
Exclusive to Guardians who are skilled enough to destroy their competition, Trials of the Nine rewards are highly powerful weapons and armour that'll show just how adept you are at the game.
Cash in enough Trials of the Nine Tokens to the Emissaries at the Third Spire, and you'll be rewarded with Trials Engrams which have a chance of dropping this end-game gear.
Here's a look at some of the Trials of the Nine weaponry you can obtain.
Those Trials of the Nine weapons are spicy! :O pic.twitter.com/AVmtZXW58O— Arekkz (@Arekkz) September 15, 2017
Armour sets coming soon...
Trials of the Nine: Start Time
Trials of the Nine goes live today, 15th September 2017. Once it’s online, you’ll be able to get stuck in as often as you want until it resets after a week.
Here’s exactly when it begins in your region:
- 18:00pm BST
- 19:00pm EU
- 13:00pm EST
- 10:00am PST
- 03:00am AWST
Trials of the Nine: Overview
At the moment we don’t have enough information to put together a complete overview of how the Trials of the Nine will work. For now we’ve based this on Destiny’s Trials of Osiris and dropped a little speculation in too. We’ll update this fully when we know the exact details!
In order to enter the Trials of Osiris in Destiny 1, players had to complete a story mission. We don’t see this changing at all and we expect Guardians will have to go through a short quest which’ll introduce them to the elusive “Nine” and their PVP playground.
Trials of Osiris used a variant of the game type entitled Elimination, where two teams of three Guardians competed against one another. Successfully killing all three players on the enemy team - or capturing a zone in the middle of the map - would win you the round.
Trials of Osiris also took place on only one map each week, with Guardian level advantages enabled. You’d purchase Trials Passages which would allow you to compete, and also act like a scorecard - the aim being to win nine matches in a row and gain passage to The Lighthouse.
We know that Trials of the Nine will feature 4 player fireteams competing against each other, and it’s highly likely that you’ll have to go on a winstreak in order to reach a special location. Bungie will make sure the best Guardians are duly rewarded!
What we can’t say is exactly what’s changing, but we can be certain that Bungie has a few surprises in store.